TKR Kate's Knee Knews

You start with the higher levels and work your way down. That's a good milestone.
 
Today I am two weeks postop, doing pretty well I think. Just got home from a visit to my PT, he showed me several new things, including a recumbent bicycle, and a sled type of thing that you lay on and push back with your knees. Really liked that one, could do that all day!

While my knee feels stiffer today and more swollen, I think overall my mobility is much better. Not sure what the swelling is from, have not been doing anything unusual, wearing my stockings, icing all the time. Think I'm going to let my employer know that I won't be able to return to work until September 8th, but I need to check into my short term disability benefits and with our leave of absence dept. to see how I go about that.

Thanks again for all of your ongoing support!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK hours after PT and my knee is very tender and swollen. I must have overdone it, although it didn't feel like it at the time. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to proceed with PT if I don't know that I'm overdoing it at the time
 
Let your PT know what happened, and they will help you back off. I overdid PT with my own exuberance a couple of times. Each time it happened, I let them know either when it happened or at the next session, and they took care of me -- including calling out a couple of warnings while I was working sometimes (because they knew what I did not -- that I was pressing my luck).
 
My PT used to ask how I felt after the previous session. I had a tendency to ice ice ice after PT when I felt the cumulative effect of the session stressed the knee more than usual.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I went to PT feeling like I was having a good day, felt really good up until about an hour after the PT session.

I've never liked roller coaster rides. Can someone stop this ride so I can get off?
 
We will get off, but I think there are a few more hills and valleys first. When Space Mountain first opened at Disney World, at least one person had a heart attack. Disney added a few small lights that illuminated the tracks enough so that at least the riders could brace for the curve or drop ahead. That is kind of what bonesmart does for us. Casts a bit of light on this roller coaster ride.
 
We will get off, but I think there are a few more hills and valleys first. When Space Mountain first opened at Disney World, at least one person had a heart attack. Disney added a few small lights that illuminated the tracks enough so that at least the riders could brace for the curve or drop ahead. That is kind of what bonesmart does for us. Casts a bit of light on this roller coaster ride.

Wonderful analogy, thank you!
 
I got six wonderful straight hours of sleep last night, and when I woke up at 8:30 I swung my legs over the bed, went to stand up, and realized that neither of my knees hurt. Walking to the bathroom, walking around a little bit, still no pain. I was very excited. As the day wore on, however, started having increasing pain in my surgical knee. After doing some exercises and taking a shower, I was pretty wiped out, took pain medication and filled up the ice machine again. The pain is definitely at a lower level, but today it's localized to a spot to the right side of my knee – it's the same spot that hurts the most when I'm doing PT, especially the heel slides. So another roller coaster ride today, got up feeling great but more pain as the day went on.
 
Six straight hours of sleep! Oh, how I envy you.
 
We will get off, but I think there are a few more hills and valleys first. When Space Mountain first opened at Disney World, at least one person had a heart attack. Disney added a few small lights that illuminated the tracks enough so that at least the riders could brace for the curve or drop ahead. That is kind of what bonesmart does for us. Casts a bit of light on this roller coaster ride.
I'll say it also....what a powerful analogy!!! Slainte, you have a way with words. This post touched me enough that I forwarded it on to our CEO. I'm sure he will be equally warmed by your thoughts. Thank you.

SDKate.....great report. Still be cautious, though. You want to build on the good days and not get so excited that you overdo it. If you check back on your recovery thread week by week, you're going to see the progress forward overall. You're doing just great!
 
I'm sure that's the main reason I woke up feeling so good and with much less pain. When I first came home from the hospital after surgery I had to switch sides of the bed with my husband, in order to be closer to the bathroom because it would take me longer to get up and motate into the bathroom. Most nights I average between 2 to 4 hours of sleep, try to push it to four hours so I can use the bathroom, take my medication and have a couple of fig newtons, then shoot for another 4 hours.

I wish I had found this site before my surgery, would have given me a lot of insight into what to expect. I don't think I was anticipating how much of an impact the surgery would be on my entire life and how long and painful the recovery would be.
 
Just keep reminding yourself this is all temporary and it will be worth it when you are able to start doing the things your arthritic knee kept you from.
 
I had no idea either. And the terrible news is that my BFF had her knee done 4 years before me and I urged her to go shopping, out to lunch, etc. all within the first month after her surgery. I felt so bad after having mine done and realizing how painful and slow the recovery is. I've apologized many times over.
 
In one of my middle of the night reading of posts, I read in someone's page that their OS doesn't like his patients to use canes because they can be a trip hazard. I've stubbed my toe a few times on my cane, but this morning did a full-on trip while in the bathroom. Fortunately I fell forward toward the bathtub and was able to catch myself on the edge of the tub and didn't hit the ground. Sure got my heart pounding for a minute.
 
:yikes: You definitely need to be careful with your cane and concentrate when you're walking. My riskiest times were when I needed the cane less and wasn't as focused on what I was doing.
Glad you're ok.
 
Had a PT appointment this afternoon that I really didn't want to go to, but I did and when I got there I told Matt I was only going to be there for five minutes. He said he was OK with that, but of course I ended up being there for the full half hour session. found out today that I can have up to 100 PT sessions that my insurance will cover, so that's a good thing. I'm thinking about moving to another PT office with the same group, that is at a fitness center and has a warm water therapy pool. I want to start getting him some more general exercise so that I can hopefully continue to lose weight as I'm feeling better. I am down 13 pounds right now, and I know that will slow down.

I had called my OS to get a refill on my Nucynta, and the nurse told me she thought I was taking too much and too often. She thought I was supposed to take one 50 mg tablet every 6 hours. I told her he adjusted my dose to two tabs every 4-6 hours, She said she would check with the doctor and get back to me. She called while I was at PT appointment, which is in the same building as the OS, so I tracked her down after my appointment and she gave me a refill prescription. I told her I wasn't totally out, but looks like I will probably run out over the weekend and I didn't want to be without over the weekend. I hate it when they try to make you feel like you're becoming an addict.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My PCP didn't practice out of the rehab hospital I was in, so I had a hospital appointed PCP from Nigeria. He sent me home with a script for 300/15 mg oxycodone. I didn't even look at it when I was leaving, but the pharmacist gave my sister a very hard time filling the script and would only give her 60 oxycodone.we laugh about that all the time. Months later I was reviewing everything and saw that I should have had a script for something to help me sleep, never got that script, but was already sleeping by that time.
 
I'll never understand why nurses and pharmacists try to overrule what the doctor has prescribed. I can see that many people have become addicted to narcotic pain relievers just from being in pain, but most of us aren't that far out from surgery that we need to worry about that.
 
Back
Top Bottom