TKR Kate's Knee Knews

When I first met with the OS, he said anywhere from 4-6 weeks out of work, but that's not a given for someone who flies frequently for work, like I do. I was the one who said "how about 5 weeks then?" and he grimaced, but that's what I told my employer. I just told my direct manager that I had to bump it up to 7 weeks and she wasn't a bit happy. We're so busy right now and they already had me scheduled at a customer site for the two weeks after I was supposed to return on the 24th.

Now that it looks like 5 weeks isn't going to happen, I'm going back at 7 weeks, flying to Phoenix after Labor Day. Now, how do I get my polar cube in my suitcase?

Medical gear doesn't count against your luggage or luggage weight limit; however, I think when flying, you have to take it as carry on. Check the airline site for baggage criteria.

And don't try to walk the airport. Let the airport know you'll need transportation at the terminal. Don't be a hero or my case, vain.

Yeah, I was kind of joking about the polar cube. I think I'll just bring along a lot of empty plastic bags and use the ice machines in the hotel.

Before my TKR, there were some occasions when I used the airport transport to get around airports, especially if I had a tight connection and a long distance between gates. I especially enjoy going through the Minneapolis airport because they have so many of the golf cart transports and they're very easy to use.

Right now I can't even imagine going to our regional airport here, up the escalator to security, through security and to the gates. That just sounds like a long distance to walk

Had a very quiet day today, no trips to PT, husband was busy so didn't bop in at home like he's been doing for the past few weeks - partly to see if I need anything, but partly because if he's not terribly busy at work he has lunch and rests for an hour or so - either way, sometimes it's annoying.

Was planning on doing a lot of elevating today, but can't seem to get a position that's comfortable for the back of my leg. Been using the pillow stack method with 2 pillows or 3 pillows, but it's just not comfortable for any length of time. I'm wondering, how important is elevating (the knees/nose type)? If I'm in the recliner they're always up, or if I sit in the other chair, there's an ottoman that I put a pillow on, but neither of those has my knee higher than hip level - is that not doing me any good?

My flexion feels more limited today than it did yesterday, might have pushed a bit hard at PT yesterday afternoon but I was feeling so good!

So a bit down, feel like I'm not making enough progress but it may just be that I'm feeling cooped up and bored. Oh, but on the plus side, I'm down 16 pounds today, my appetite is diminished and nothing has much flavor to it except spicy (Mexican, pizza, Cajun) or sweet flavors.

I just bought a couple of these so I wouldn't go through a ton of plastic bags on our upcoming trip:
http://www.amazon.com/Treatments-Long-lasting-Nature-Insulated-Temperature/dp/B00KWOMQ1U
Those packs look like exactly what I need, shouldn't take up too much room in the suitcase, maybe even a smaller one for the plane ride itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering, how important is elevating (the knees/nose type)? If I'm in the recliner they're always up, or if I sit in the other chair, there's an ottoman that I put a pillow on, but neither of those has my knee higher than hip level - is that not doing me any good?
It's better than having your leg hanging down, so it is doing you some good, but toes above hip level would be even better. Do the best that you can.

they also brought me crackers or a couple fig newtons, maybe some fruit.
I'm so loving the fig and strawberry newtons, take a pain pill, 2 newtons, repeat as needed. Since they're whole grain, I could live on the newtons and salad!

Celle, refreezable gel packs are wonderful, but hotel/ motel rooms do not consistently have a freezer available, however, almost every one has access to an ice machine.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Went to my PT session today feeling pretty stiff, but after some stretches and work on the sled, I got another 5° of flexion, happy about that. I was watching a young man do some sports training while I was using a bike, wasn't paying attention to my rotations and went just a little bit too far, squawked in pain. Of course, everyone looked at me, pretty embarrassing.

Has anybody bought one of those floor peddaler machines that you sit on a chair and pedal? My therapist said he thought it would be a good option to use at home. Anybody have any experience, good or bad?

I saw that someone posted a photo of one on their thread, but not sure who.

Yeah, I'm going to think about that for a couple of days, maybe wait and see how the water therapy I'm going to start next week helps before I buy one.

It's kind of weird how often people can have ups and downs during this recovery process. Some days this week went really well; the last couple of days because I've been home and everyone else is working, haven't seen my granddaughters since Sunday, I'm feeling kind of alone and isolated.

I have about 2 1/2 days worth of Nucynta left and I'm thinking I would like to try and wean off of that and use tramadol or something else comparable. I don't think I can just stop the Nucynta cold and then start taking tramadol, going to have to call my GP tomorrow and see how she would recommend switching from narcotic to tramadol for pain.

How have some of you transitioned from narcotic to nonnarcotic pain relief?

I went from oxycodone to nothing. I weaned off the oxy naturally ( without realizing) as the pain lessened, there was more time between meds and less meds. But I was still taking oxycodone as prescribed at week 4.

While I want to wean off the Nucynta, I don't think I should do it cold turkey, and I don't think I'm ready to go without anything for the pain that still comes on. So, my BFF is full of ice, going to take a dose of Nucynta and go to bed, hopefully get some direction from my GP tomorrow morning. I know 2 weeks isn't long enough to worry about becoming addicted to the Nucynta, I'm just really skittish with taking narcotics of any sort, and if my pain is diminished enough that I don't need that type of pain relief, I'd like to stop.

It's never a good idea to come off narcotics cold turkey. Either decrease the amount of your doses, or space them further apart - just do it gradually.

Tramadol is a useful "step down" drug for many people. I hope your GP helps.

My GS is out of the office today, so called my OS - nurse just said to lower dose from 75 mg. every 4-6 hours to 50 mg every 5-6 hours, if possible, and start to work in some Tylenol as I'm going down on the Nucynta. She said I shouldn't have any withdrawal effects with only taking it about 2 weeks, but reading some of the horror stories about the withdrawal some long-term users have, it's kind of scary.

My experience with tapering off narcotics was similar to @KarriB . Up to about 3.5 weeks, I was taking it by the clock, but over about 1.5 weeks, reduced the dosage. It didn't take me long once I stopped taking it by the clock to get to the point where I was just taking ibuprofen and Tylenol.

@Braunzie and @SDkate i always have to revert to 4 weeks, because it was at that point my infection came along and I had a second surgery. So my recovery was very different from everyone else. When I had the second surgery there was a lot if pain, but nothing like the original TKR surgery as nothing was done to the bone. My tissue was scrubbed with antibiotic wash and a brush, as well as the spacer being replaced. I was taking 5mg oxycodone for a week after that surgery, but then I didn't need it because I wasn't even bending the knee. When I was allowed to bend a month later, I brought out the oxycodone.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads