TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

[Bonesmart.org] Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!
A good way to spend a Saturday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Admin, I am sorry to bother you but can you change Sleepy quad is waking up to Two Steps Forward, One Step Back. Thanks!
I've changed your thread title for you. That's a title that sums up recovery for most people and it should be applicable for the rest of your recovery period, so it won't need to be changed again.
 
@katchmo I think it did accelerate my need for a TKR. My doctor was telling me I’d have to have aTKR “in a few years”. Turns out I needed one 3 months later. He trimmed my meniscus. I was walking to the kitchen one day and my knee popped. Awful pain. I could no longer walk on it. I chose to see a different surgeon and he did my TKR. So glad that I did. The previous doctor didn’t really care. I’m of the belief now that that kind of arthroscopic surgery is a waste of time, pain, and money.
 
Aww, I see that you have a buddy there to comfort you.
Yes, he's the best. He is the foster kitty of my friend who died and he is definitely my snuggle buddy. How does anyone manage this without a snuggle buddy?
 
He is a very special kitty. He needs you as much as you need him.

My “having a kitty” days are over, we’ve had a bunch and fed some strays through some winters, since we usually had a bowl of food on the porch outside during the day for our kitties.

Through my recovery Bonesmart has been my snuggle bunny!
 
I was walking to the kitchen one day and my knee popped. Awful pain.

@Beckadeez That's exactly what happened with my left knee - no prior surgery, just the pop, excruciating pain, trip to ER, walker, housebound, BTKR a few months later. Surgery was already scheduled on the right before this happened with the left.
 
@mlwreader I don’t know what it was. Perhaps the meniscus? I asked for an MRI. Wow. I’ve never met anyone else that happened to. It’s crazy! You’re ok, then you’re not. What did they say caused your pop? My left is aggravated now. Hope it will last a while.
 
What did they say caused your pop? My left is aggravated now. Hope it will last a while.

@Beckadeez They weren't entirely sure - at the ER they did an ultrasound to eliminate a blood clot, and then determined there was a baker's cyst. However, when my first orthopedic finally ordered an MRI, there was significant bone trauma. Bottom line, I had been favoring the right knee which was bone on bone and scheduled for surgery, and that plus the degeneration in progress in the left knee caused it, according to the final diagnosis. And my OS told me after the BTKR that there was much more damage in the left knee than the X-rays and MRI revealed.

@katchmo I'm sorry Beckadeez and I hijacked your thread with our discussion of the blowing up of the "good" knee. I hope you are well and are having a nice Sunday morning. Hugs.
 
Lol it's no problem @mlwreader. My OS told me my right MRI was the mirror image of my left. So far it is hanging in there, though I continue to be very thankful for good upper body strength when I am going up and down stairs and getting up out of my chair. Otherwise I am sure my right knee would be very angry
 
Today, I was able to go to church service for the first time (skipped Sunday school because I was concerned about sitting that long) then went to a small group fellowship meal. My host made sure I had a comfortable chair and ottoman. My digestive system finally allowed me to enjoy a regular meal. I iced and elevated when I got home, then was able to play a game of Settlers of Catan with my family, first time I have been comfortable enough in the evening to play a game (and I won!) I got nine hours of sleep last night and have been relatively pain free for the most part today, I think because I got back on the full dose of gabapentin yesterday. Someone on here said they concentrated on lengthening their stride, so I tried that today and it really made a difference in being able to walk more normally. My middle son sent me a message to me saying he wanted to do a mother-son dance at his wedding on June 15 but he wondered if I would be able to. I told him YES I will. Today was a good day. :yes!:
 
What a great day you had!!! There will be more to come!
 
Yes, you will be able to do that dance! First off, your knee will be so much better by then. Second, you will have him to hold on to for balance. :heehee: Seriously, though, you'll be fine and that will be a wonderful day for you.

I'm so glad to read you had a good day and also won your game of Settlers of Catan. It's important for game-playing types to be able to sit long enough at the table to complete a good board game. My first after surgery was a rollicking battle of Defenders of the Realm. A dragon toasted us (cooperative game, so we all lost), but it was a good fight. Now I can sit for three hours if needed, because some games need that, and it's wonderful.

Between church and games, you're getting back to normal!
 
I remember how great it felt to get back to church! My first day back I took my walker and ice packs. I sat where I could elevate with a pillow and made out OK. It was one month after my surgery! I was wiped out when I got home and slept all afternoon. But, what a wonderful joy I felt being able to be back with my brothers and sisters in the Lord!
 
I posted this elsewhere but am copying and pasting it here as part of my own story and am definitely going to discuss it with my surgeon as part of the reason my bend is slow to progress.
My surgeon told me that all arthritis that is confined to the patella is due to maltracking. That's his opinion anyway. I was first told I had this problem at age 20. The cartilage in my other two compartments was "pristine" per his description, but under both knee caps it is a grade 4 mess. We didn't even discuss a PKR as I had read negative things and he said in his experience they rarely work for my situation. That's why I decided to go straight for the TKR. My knee MRIs were mirror images, but interestingly my left knee has been swollen and painful since last May when I carried some heavy boxes up two flights of stairs (using my left knee mostly because my right knee used to be the "bad" one!) That swelling never went down and then I had the arthroscopy and a few months later had the TKR. I really think my slower recovery is due to months and months of repeated soft tissue damage. My right knee is hanging in there pretty well in spite of the additional work it is taking on even though it is supposedly just as bad as the other one.
 
Last edited:
I'm doing a lot of thinking as I am resting my knee today, which is very stiff and sore after yesterday's good day. I guess I have come to expect that.

Like some others I am wondering if my knee will ever be better than it was preop, especially since mine were not that bad. They vexed me when going up and down stairs and I missed out on hiking. I also had difficulty with any kind of exercise program except walking.

Unfortunately a lot of my motivation for getting this surgery was misplaced and that contributes to my current negative feelings. This is very personal but maybe others have gone through similar things.

My husband has only known a wife who has migraines, fibromyalgia, and limitations from achey knees. He is a very active and athletic man even at age 63. He does have aches and pains but he never tells me about them and rarely shows any sympathy for me. He's not a man who knows how to express affection or show support so I pretty much go through things on my own.

When my left knee got so bad and the MRI showed significant damage, I actually felt vindicated, because I don't believe he ever really thought there was anything wrong with me (and his attitude does rub off on our kids, especially my youngest son who still lives at home and is most like him in temperament of all our six children, so I get a double whammy of that kind of treatment.)

I remember feeling almost triumphant when I told him, "The doctor said I need a total knee replacement!" Wanted to add, "So there!!!" Lol.

I also thought, "I'll get the knee replacements, my knees will be all better, and I will finally be able to hike and play sports with my family and then finally my husband will like me better."

Honestly, if I were single, I would not have had the motivation. I could walk just fine and would have lived in a place with no stairs and would be very content with my crochet and sewing. But I married an athlete and gave birth to six athletes and I feel so left out. And we live in a house with lots of stairs and I am stuck here because it needs tons of work which I can't do and he won't do.

I now realize that I rushed into this surgery when the main problem was really soft tissue damage which would have settled down eventually. It's hard not to just sit here and think negative thoughts. I want to get back to my good day yesterday!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom