Guest viewing is limited

TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

While the hot tub sounds great, do be careful. Several people have found that the heat increases their knee swelling.
 
We have had beautiful weather since last Friday and I did venture out for my first walk on Saturday, as well as cleaning my house. I way overdid it and have been very stiff and sore since. On top of that, I came down with an intestinal virus on Monday, which is still affecting me, so I have been in bed a lot. All this while my son arrived home from college with two friends for spring break. :groan: I hope I will be better tomorrow. But it's supposed to snow tomorrow through the weekend so my chance to really enjoy our short lived fake spring is over. On the bright side, I have dropped a few pounds! :good-bad:
 
Rest the knee. Lose a few pounds. I guess there’s an upside but it’s still rotten you are feeling sick and not able to enjoy your son and his friends. :sad:
 
Feeling better this morning and so is my knee! I have ordered my own goniometer (sp?) so that I can measure my knee at home when it is at its best and take pictures to show my OS. Since it seems any amount of activity seems to induce swelling and restrict bend.
 
I've had increased pain the last few days and I suppose it's because I have cut back on the gabapentin, from 600 down to 300mg a day. I hate hate hate taking pills, but if it is going to hinder my recovery, I better stay on them. I think my migraines improved on it too. So that means I have to call a hcp and ask for a continuing prescription, because I have no refill on this one. It was so bad last night I took one of my hoarded oxys, and got such good relief I sincerely wish I could keep taking them. But I don't want that so gabapentin it is. I also have another plan. I did a Google search on heat vs ice for knee replacement and found an old thread here where a number of people said they found great benefits with using moist heat alternating with ice. I have to say I haven't seen great gains since trying to really concentrate on frequent icing and elevating in the last few weeks. So I have a moist heat pack on order and I plan to use it before periods of activity and then ice and elevating afterwards. I know my knee always bends best after a long hot shower. And warm water physical therapy has been approved so I hope that starts this week. It is so hard feeling like I have no control over my recovery. I really thought before my surgery that if I did all my exercises and worked hard, I would have a model recovery. I hate being "that patient." And my husband no longer responds when I mention that I have had a tough day, so I know he thinks I'm not doing what I should. I hate all this it totally stinks. Sorry, it's just a blue day. Literally. We have new snow and ice on the ground and freezing fog in the sky.
 
It is so hard feeling like I have no control over my recovery.
The knee is in charge! And yet just about everyone treats us like it’s our fault if we don’t do well.

I am one of “those” patients that is not doing great at one year. My surgeon doesn’t know what to tell me.

I just ordered a small knee brace. I dread the comments that will come when my friends see it and ask about it.

For the record my knee hurt right away when I tried heat. Of course some of that may have been due to the rice bag being too hot! Oops! :rotfl: Another time later on I tried a regular heating pad on the back of my calf and didn’t realize right away that it was touching the back of my knee. That hurt, too, so that was the end of heat for me.

I hope you find something that works for you. :console2:
 
@katchmo
I think this has been a winter that never seems to end! Spring will be here soon, and your blue mood will lift. Just as a side note, when I saw my OS at my 2 month check up, asked should I use heat or cold on my aching muscle around my knee, he suggested heat. I have done both. I wish I could loan you my husband, he had both knees replaced. I wish you a speedy recovery!
 
I have read on here about people wetting a towel with very warm water, placing it where you need relief, and wrapping plastic wrap over it. You could try that.
 
I did aqua therapy yesterday in a warm pool for the first time- best bend, great exercises, awesome sleep! You may be on to something with trying the moist heat...
 
@Jockette I am really tempted to ask my OS if he keeps track of the percentage of his patients who meet the goals he set out in the notebook we all get. By 6-12 weeks I am supposed to walk without a limp, resume all normal household activities, go back to work, go up and down stairs with alternating feet, and resume dancing, bowling and golf, and bend my leg 120 degrees.

Actually if I want to concentrate on the positive, my quad is working just fine now. Most of the time I can lift my leg without thinking, though sometimes it hurts. I can walk without a limp if I really concentrate and take it slow. I have pretty much been doing most of my regular household stuff since two weeks. That's my PT. I was able to go upstairs foot over foot several weeks ago but I stopped due to swelling. My extension is excellent. Compared to where I was at three weeks, I am doing great.

But, if it's all about that bend, 'bout that bend, 'bout that bend, then I have a ways to go. Still pretty stuck at ninety.
 
I did aqua therapy yesterday in a warm pool for the first time- best bend, great exercises, awesome sleep! You may be on to something with trying the moist heat...
That sounds amazing!!!
 
I am back to 90 as well, but it’s ok. I know it will get better. It’s just swelling. I walked around my yard yesterday and am sore today. I had my surgery the same day as you.
 
@katchmo
I wish I could loan you my husband, he had both knees replaced. I wish you a speedy recovery!
I bet that made a difference! My husband is a good man but empathy is not his strong suit! When he is sick or hurt he doesn't even tell me so that's how he thinks everyone should be.
 
@Beckadeez I see you had an arthroscopy in September. I had one in October, and my PA thinks that might be why I am having more pain than other patients he has seen. He thinks the arthroscopy (lateral patellar release, total failure, only made things worse) riled things up and it never settled down before the TKR. Did you have similar thoughts?
 
Admin, I am sorry to bother you but can you change Sleepy quad is waking up to Two Steps Forward, One Step Back. Thanks!
 
I must have received simliar goal information but I didn’t pay attention to it. My surgeon never mentioned any of that at my check ups. He was all about bending my leg for me as far as he could and measuring. :blackcloud:He didn’t ask what I could do.

After I found Bonesmart I did things the Bonesmart way and got all my info from here. I trust Bonesmart way more than my surgeon.

The only goal ROM number I was told was 95 at my 2 week check up and both the PT and OS were able to push me to that. I had not found Bonesmart yet so I was so happy to meet their goal.

The Friday before my 6 week check up my therapist asked me a bunch of accomplishment type questions, going down a checklist. He was pleased with the many yeses I had. Not that I could do everything well, but I could manage them.

The first few months my recovery seemed to progress nicely. Then I started developing some weird issues and I’m not happy with my outcome at this point. As I said before, my surgeon was at a loss last week at my one year check. My current ROM is somewhere in the 100-teens. I can do most things I want so I’m not worried about a number anymore. Early on I was because of all the pressure they put on us.

You are still really early and have lots of healing and improvements coming your way. No need to rush it, though.
 
I just had a massage today and the therapist recommended hot wet towels both behind the knee and on the top then gentle massaging of the tissue upwards toward the hip to get the fluids flowing from the knee lymph nodes to the hip. Also a hot bath with Epsom salts to help with the excess fluid and swelling. Remember to rinse off afterwards! After my massage I had a bottle of water, lunch and a Guinness so I’m pretty happy now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom