Guest viewing is limited

TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

I love the Carpenters too! My son and I are dancing to Feelin' Groovy. Then later I am getting out my fiddle and jamming with my mom's side of the family, which is just about my favorite thing to do in the world. :spin:
 
I was hoping I was all done with setbacks at 4.5 months but no such luck! My knee has been really clicking and clunking and I just hate it and want it to stop. Then in the past few days I have had increased pain and swelling. I think it is because I have been going down stairs very slowly on my left knee really trying to strengthen and work the muscles. I know the deal, "if it hurts don't do it" but I gotta. In two months my left knee will have to handle all the stairs. So I am a bit grumpy tonight, especially since I have been having lots of migraines and I am tired of it. My son and his fiancee are arriving tomorrow and I want to really enjoy life right now. So I am putting the intense stair routine on hold so I can dance in a week. Good news, tonight I found that if I turned my toe out just a bit the clunking improved.
 
Oh katchmo I am so sorry you are having issues. I pray they go away. I am jealous of you and all of the musically gifted folks out there. I am so bad that when I was in grade school the music teacher asked me to mouth the words at a concert for our parents haven't sung since.
 
@Chemist I hate hearing stories like that. That teacher stole something very valuable from you. Love of music should be nurtured and encouraged and never ridiculed or stifled!
 
@katchmo: don't worry about it too much. I have been blessed in so many ways (except for maybe a singing voice and good knees). I have a love of music, even played drums. My comment was meant as a joke, it is a family joke, just didn't come across correctly when written when I was a bit sleepy. Enjoy the wedding.
 
Last edited:
@Chemist
I can relate. When up I was in jr high I tried out for chorus and failed . Still can’t sing! I thought your comment was hilarious, still laughing!
 
Where your knee is now (before you irritated it doing more steps) is not where it will be 2 months from now. It will be more healed in 2 months.
So I am putting the intense stair routine on hold
It is way too soon to be doing anything even slightly intense, as you have found.

Your knee is going to be stressed with the wedding and all of its fun activities. Mine certainly was at 5 months when my son got married.

Try to baby it as much as you this week before the wedding.
 
And I’m sorry about your migraines. I’ve only had a few, but they sure do hurt a lot.
 
I had my preoperative appointments this week and they went well. All my labs were good in spite of the dreaded weight gain from being such a slug these last six months. I talked to my surgeon about having a different nurse besides Mark who was so difficult to deal with after my last surgery and he told me who else I could talk to. When I got home there was a message from Mark asking me to call him but I didn't. I also told the surgeon I don't plan to do PT. He looked surprised but said he was ok with it as long as I'm progressing ok. He was happy with my bend on my left knee and happy I can go up and down stairs with it. I told him I have no pain but it's still weak and he told me, "It's an 18 month to 2 year recovery." I wanted to say, well why does your timeline say I should be dancing and bowling at three months????

I have been working like crazy to get my house decluttered before my surgery in two weeks. I'm having a garage sale tomorrow and have been lifting heavy boxes and moving stuff around and Lefty is handling it well. She is weak but willing. I have to hold the rail when I go down the stairs but not up. I'm off all prescription meds, not sleeping well but that's normal for me. Basically, all systems are go.

Admin, can you change my thread title Katchmo's Knees: Round Two. Thanks!
 
Here is me dancing with my son at his wedding. I was still having pain at that time, right up until the afternoon of the wedding. It went away and really hasn't come back to speak of, except maybe a bit after a long busy day.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!
    37078677_10216490548326363_8970737516428656640_o.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 362
Lovely photo. Glad you managed to dance and the pain went away!
 
Nice picture! I chose not to dance with my son at his wedding and he and his wife were fine with that.
18 month to 2 year recovery." I wanted to say, well why does your timeline say I should be dancing and bowling at three months????
This makes me so mad! :gaah:
 
I am happy you are doing so well! Saying that you have no pain is huge! Great pic of you and your handsome son. Good luck on this next adventure. I pray this one goes even better.
 
You'll be fine! Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. My second TKR was much better than my first (so far anyway!)
 
You'll be fine! Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. My second TKR was much better than my first (so far anyway!)
That's what I'm hoping, and my surgeon said that is usually his experience, as people usually get their worst knee done first.
 
Also you sort of know what to expect- up to a point. I refused all opioides/opiates this time. They really messed with my head and made the first little while awful. This time I only took Paracetamol (Tylenol in USA) and felt much better, slept better and general system returned to normal much quicker.
I took a firm line with PT and seem to be recovering better (so far but anything can happen!)
 
Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow at noon. Today I slammed my right shin on a bolt that was sticking out of something in my living room. It didn't bleed a lot but hurts like a mother and took a decent chunk of skin out. Should I be worried about surgery? It's on the operative leg.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom