Guest viewing is limited

TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

I am thinking of getting a shower chair that has the part that goes out over the tub to make it easier to get in.
The jury is out on a toilet seat and rails. I didn't need one the first time but might this time.

@katchmo I had both these items. I stopped using the toilet seat and rails after about six weeks, but the toilet in my bathroom was already pretty high due to living in a senior apt. building at the time. The shower seat was great, loved that it extended over the tub, was sooo easy to slide over into the shower getting in, and slide out of the tub getting out.

Yeah, I had a system to transport my food: one counter to another, counter to one side of table, to the other side of the table and finally to the table beside my chair. But I spilled things more than once and could only eat in one place!

My goodness I had the same system prior to my surgery when I had to use a walker because I was in so much pain I couldn't put any weight on my left leg at all. Everything, I mean everything took so long back then. And the pain was horrible and so exhausting. So glad that arthritic pain is behind me.
 
Were you able to go on your big trip? How did your knee handle it? You sound so much better than a few pages ago.
 
@CdnCarol yes, we did go! I was still gimpy so we didn't do much sight seeing but I didn't miss much either. At the recommendation of another bonesmartie, I rode in the third seat of our Suburban with the partial section of the second seat down. So I was able to elevate on a bunch of pillows and keep my leg extended for the 4000+ miles of the trip. It worked great, though I told my kids I have much more sympathy for them for all the years they have had to ride back there! The seat is not as comfortable and you feel every bump and swerve a little more.

We went to Nebraska and attended my son's graduation. He chose me to do his hooding so I got to walk with him and sit by him, which was very special. We stayed in a guest house and I had my own bedroom and brought along my temperpedic pad so I was very comfy.

Then we went on to Memphis to see my daughter in law graduate from graduate school with a four year seminary degree (but she is a smartie and did it in three.) We had our own apartment again, with two twin beds so I still slept well (I'm used to a king bed so dreaded the thought of a double bed.) However the couch in their living room was the worst with a bad elevating situation. So my back was often aggravated. I also had cramping pain in my left groin whenever I walked more than a few minutes. The only big outing we did was to the Civil Rights museum (highly recommended) and Bass Pro. At the museum I finally had to ask for a wheelchair and was fine after that. At Bass Pro my son led me to a recliner and there I stayed and watched people!

I fortunately discovered a stretch that cut the groin cramp short. It was sort of a ballet arabesque on my left leg. I also found this helps my back so I did it a lot, in grocery stores etc lol. I also found that if I turned my left foot "in" so it was more straight, I wouldn't get the cramping. Yay!

Then we went on to Springfield MO and had a visit with my sister, who I hadn't seen in three years. It was wonderful to see all my great nieces and nephews, who are pretty young and new to me. Bed situation was not so great but an Ambien helped a lot.

Our last night on the road was in Caspar Wyoming to stay with my daughter's inlaws. They recently moved from Montana and are lonely and were glad to see us.

So we got to have four of our six children together and celebrate some great occasions. While my knee made its presence known, it was not the star and didn't ruin anything.
 
Last edited:
What an awesome trip! And congratulations on all the smart people in your family! It’s so special to share these momentous events with them and how awesome they help with getting you the comforts you need to enjoy all of them right along with them! God Bless!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You certainly managed that long trip with panache! Your family sounds wonderful and so supporting of you. Not everyone has that, and it’s what helped you pull off seeing them and celebrating with them.
 
I forgot to mention that, as I have no grandchildren of my own yet, I swooped down on my niece's little 8mo and kept him the whole evening. He is a little chunk but I was able to carry him around and even go up and down a couple of steps with little difficulty. That felt like a huge accomplishment!
 
I keep remembering things that bugged me post op so I also ordered a leg protection sleeve dealio, no more leaky plastic wrap for me. And also a handheld shower. Here's a list of all the things I didn't know I needed till after my surgery that I now have:
Leg lifter
Walker tray and bag
Lap desk
Leg wedge
Grabber (I can bend over pretty well but this is for those times, too numerous to count, when I was settled all comfy in my bed or chair and then DROPPED SOMETHING.
Portable stool to elevate leg when out of the house.
Leg cover for showering
Hand held shower

I am thinking of getting a shower chair that has the part that goes out over the tub to make it easier to get in.
The jury is out on a toilet seat and rails. I didn't need one the first time but might this time.

Also, right now my husband and I share the smallest bathroom while my two children each have their own. So my husband would remove my bathseat and forget to put it back. It was difficult for me to move it myself in the early days. So this time I am kicking my daughter downstairs and taking over the upstairs bathroom and setting it up just for me.

Maybe a short book for everyone who is facing this with these words of wisdom
 
Another recent improvement: For quite awhile my worst pain has been experienced when I first get up after sitting with my leg down. I would get a fairly severe stabbing, searing pain just below the knee that often radiated down my shin. The longer I sat, the longer this pain lasted, and bearing weight while experiencing it was difficult. Just in the last few weeks it has improved quite a bit. I am off all Tylenol except occasionally for other reasons and am weaning off Gabapentin with no noticeable change in my knee. :yes!:
 
Oh the popping and clicking! Why does it disappear for weeks only to return with a vengeance?? So annoying!:blackcloud::banghead:
 
That is one symptom I’ve never had. But I’ve had my share of others!
 
I picked up a recumbent bike at a garage sale yesterday, yay! I also got a loaner portable toilet seat with handles at our county aging services center. I just decided better safe than sorry. Just need that bath transfer chair and I will have everything I need. Stairs are getting better and better, even going down. Weaning off gabapentin, down from taking it 3x a day to once a day. I took it yesterday morning and barely slept all night so I waited and am taking it tonight. Hope that works better. Doing well painwise.
 
I slept a lot better last night. Third day of gabapentin only once per day and I am having more pain than I have had in awhile. However it could be because I have been working more on stairs, going down very slowly so those muscles really get worked. Who knows. I also feel like I'm coming down with a cold. Son's wedding is in two weeks so I don't need a cold right now.
 
Is your son’s wedding local? My son got married last August, 90 minutes away. I was 5 months post op, but had hurt myself the month before. I was just starting to improve again when it was wedding time. 2 trips back and forth and way too much standing between the wedding and reception! It set me back again.
 
It's about a three hour drive away. I'm going to do my best to pace myself. It's at a bible camp and I do worry about sleeping. But it's going to be a pretty relaxed atmosphere and I plan to have a good time! My kids are coming from all over the country and it will be the first time in over a year we are all together.
 
That sounds great!

My son’s wedding was a fancy affair. My daughter in law got a second job to pay for the wedding she wanted. They had a great time! Us older folks, not so much, it was way too loud, and too much time between wedding at 3, and dinner at 8 :yikes: (Snacks were served at 6).

But there were a lot of nice aspects, my daughter in law is very thoughtful and caring and she had all kinds of nice touches throughout the whole weekend. She knows I like the Carpenter’s music, so she had them play Top of the World when my husband and I were introduced. Lots of things like that.

I hope you enjoy yours and being with all your family!
 
@Jockette Sounds like a nice wedding. It's funny-our daughter had the Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun" played at her wedding when it was time for my husband and I to dance (if you can call it dancing what with me limping and my hubby of the two left feet shuffling along....:rotfl:) It was a song we had at our wedding.....my how time has flown.
 
Didn’t we just love the Carpenters! Karen just had the most awesome voice!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom