TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

I walked outside too. In the 50s and getting warmer in the coming days. How awful for that poor man. So glad it didn’t happen to you.
 
I don’t understand how any physical therapist can think that is an appropriate action.

I was sent to out patient PT 2 days after my surgery. That was Wednesday and I went again on Friday. Then on Monday, one week post op is when they started to force my knee to bend. I was not expecting him to push my knee so far. I held onto the sides of the table for dear life, it hurt so bad. I went home and cried because it hurt so bad and because I felt I was never going to get off the narcotics if PT hurt that much and I was afraid I’d end up getting addicted to them! Way too much of a thought process for a pitiful 61 year old woman one week out of major surgery.

And, I woke up from a nap after that session with a major pain in my shoulder that continued for several days. I called my surgeon and they had me come in for X-rays and diagnosed me with acute tendinitis in the shoulder. I’d had to use my arms more than usual that week and I’m sure that grip on the table was the last straw. The shoulder hurt at a 10 and was way worse than the knee. And the narcotics didn’t touch it.

Several weeks later I found Bonesmart and learned how wrong that forcing was, that I wouldn’t get addicted to my pain medication. Actually , I was off the narcotics long before I found Bonesmart.

I am so glad for you that you did not have that kind of PT. :console2:
 
@Jockette I am so sorry you went through that!

Unfortunately I fully expect that at my checkup in three weeks he will blame my lack of bend on my lack of PT.
 
Unfortunately I fully expect that at my checkup in three weeks he will blame my lack of bend on my lack of PT.
Well we know better than that. With all the different opinions among surgeons it seems there is no one set way to recover. Choose the approach you like.
It’s your knee and your recovery.
 
Do you even need to discuss PT,or the lack thereof, with your OS at all? You are 2 months out from surgery; your bend will continue to improve as your swelling goes down. The more you push your knee beyond what it's ready for, the more it will swell, thus lowering your ROM.

I have my pre-op with my OS next Friday. I don't know what he'll tell me he wants in regards to PT as they seem to have made a lot of changes in the 4 years since my TKR; however from my last surgery 2 years ago where he told me I could skip PT as I probably knew everything I needed to do (or words to that effect) I suspect he'll tell me something similar this time around. If not, I will be upfront with him and tell him what MY plans in regards to PT are going to be. I know him well enough after a zillion years as his patient to know he'll either smile or laugh and tell me that's fine. But if he were the kind to throw a conniption and insist on me having PT, I'd smile and then do what I believe is best for me in regards to PT. And I'd avoid ever discussing it with him again.
 
The subject of “PT/what exercises are you doing” came up at all but my one year check up.
 
Unfortunately I fully expect that at my checkup in three weeks he will blame my lack of bend on my lack of PT.
My OS never asked me about PT either. He just was interested in what I could. If he asks you, just nod and say you'll coming along just fine. Nobody can force you to take PT.
 
Hey everyone, hope you had a nice weekend. Mine was quiet and restful. My knee hurt a lot over the weekend but by yesterday was better and today was really good. Haven't been able to walk outside since my half hour walk due to pain and, in the last two days, high winds (gusts of 60 miles an hour!) So I just hung out inside and did whatever exercises struck my fancy. Tonight after my hot shower I was able to bend to about 105, personal best! Tomorrow night I will be sure to have my measuring thingie in there with me. Maybe there is a chance I can make 120 by April 10th! Sorry I am behind on reading other's threads. I kind of wanted a weekend off of knees lol.
 
Congrats on the improvement, but more important, glad you had a good weekend. Sometimes you need to be away, however you can do it.
 
I’m glad you had a quiet and restful weekend.

Please try not to worry about being at 120 by April 10. I know that’s easier said than done. But honestly, you don’t have to be at a certain number within a certain time frame. Your body only understands it own timeframe, which God gave it, so it can only do that timeframe.

Your surgeon’s desire for a certain number by a certain date is just that, his desire. Your personal body is not accountable to your surgeon’s desire.

Your ROM will continue as you heal. I am one year out and my bend is still improving.

You are only 2 months into a possible 12 month recovery, on average.

Try to relax and let your body heal the way it was designed to. :console2:
 
It seems to me the main thing is that your knee feels and is moving better. :happydance: You intuitively know how to exercise it and, more important, how much. ROM, not a particular number, is what you want to attain. Keep doing what you're doing and will get back your knee's full range of motion. Take joy in the getting there; the number will follow. :)
 
Today's victories:
Last week I went to a quilting class and lasted two hours; today I made it 4.5 hours.
I lifted my leg into the car with muscle power alone.
I went out in public without my cane and was able to walk decently normally for the most part.
:friends::happydance::martini:
 
That is awesome!!!

What kind of quilting class?
 
What kind of quilting class?

It's a block of the month class and I missed last month so today was a make up class. It's hilarious because I did the cutting last month while I was still taking narcotics and not feeling well at all. I cut AT LEAST 16 extra pieces of fabric. "This is your fabric on drugs."
 
That is funny! :rotfl:

In the Social Room Forum there’s a thread about quilting, if you’re interested.
 
@katchmo quilting is such a creative release. Prior to surgery, I put chair mats behind my long arm so I could roll easily on a chair. I started quilting again and it is very therapeutic.

It is interesting, once I quit worrying about bend and where I should be in my recovery, I relaxed and I seem to be making more progress. Family and friends were great but they kept telling me something had to be wrong since I wasn't getting well fast enough. I had to let that go. Thanks to Bonesmart, I don't get as upset. I read members' threads and realize I am not alone.

I know I will be totally healed and pain free it is just not going to happen in my time frame.
 
Great to hear that you can quilt again! We are surgery twins and there’s no way I could do anything for 4.5 hours. You’re doing a lot better than you think you are.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom