TKR kar's new knee: a love story

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi that
I am shouting this from the roof tops.. i rode the bike at pt today and did a full rotation with no pain at all. I am so excited .. bend was at 96 now i am icing and elevating
I am shouting this from the roof tops.. i rode the bike at pt today and did a full rotation with no pain at all. I am so excited .. bend was at 96 now i am icing and elevating

hi well done you i have done the same on my exercise bike so feeling good , but not got the bend that you have but now getting there , my op was 21st of oct, mal.
 
Hi Kar1963, I am so glad that your MUA went well for you. And congrats on the bike rotation :happydance: if you look at my post, you will see I had much the same reaction when I managed a full rotation. It is amazing that something so mundane can make you so happy when you achieve it. well done you.
I am 2 weeks post MUA today. my OS said he got 125 degrees on the table, but I have only managed 120 at most, but generally about 118. My knee is still quite stiff though.
Keep posting and let us know how you are improving. Like you, I hope to continue to improve over time. Just icing and elevating and doing gentle peddling and exercises for now.
I can't celebrate with a glass of wine yet because of the pain meds, but when I can, I will have one for you.
Cheers my dear -:cheers: here's to you and your continued improvements.
lots of love and hugs - Sparkie
 
Well this pt every day thing is kicking my ample behind. I dont know one day i feel great and the next it does not feel that great, all i know is i am tired and a little sore.the knee is bending good i didnt get numbers today, i am riding the about 8 min but have been getting a charlie horse in my non op leg, i must need more banana s. I absolutely love my therapist she makes me feel good even if i am not havin a great day. I just pray every day that this almost 3 month old knee starts feeling normalish .i know the mua kinda set tbe healing clock back again but i just want it better now lol.. this sure has been a wild three months kinda loved it kinda hated it and i really ont want to go back to work ....

Sparkie i hear you on the wine , i would so love a glass but i am still taking a pain pill every now an again, mostly getting by on Tyleno
 
Well one week down of pt everyday one more to go. I bent to 95 today and leg is flat ..i am happy with the 95 but i want 100++ soon. I am still able to full rotation on the bike and as far as pain i am at a 1 or 2 but that is just the swelling i think..
Josephine i was wondering your thoughts on me asking my os if i should try anti inflammatory meds. Or am i just being inpatient with me.
Some days i feel like my knee is doing great than there are days like today when i think it will never feel normal again. This has been a wonderfully tough journey
 
Hi kar1963

Thanks for asking.I was very anxious about my app as my ROM was still only 90degrees. However, he was very pleased with how I had progressed so far and said that he had only got my knee to 100 degrees during the op so not to worry. I was so relieved that I didn't ask him why. Possibly this could be to the dreadful state my knee/leg was in prior to surgery. Although this put my mind at rest I still feel unhappy at times with some of my progress, for example trying to walk normally, without limping when you leg feels as if it is full of cement. I am trying not to use my cane as much as I can but take it out with me. Sometimes I carry it (I must look a complete fool) and at other times I use it. I return to work shortly so hope it will improve greatly before then. I know i have improved a lot but not as well as others.
Are you back at work?
It's good to see that you have seen an improvement in your knee since your MUA and i'm sure you will continue to do so.
How is you walking and general day to day living? What things do you still find challenging?
Hope you have a great weekend.
Big hugs
Speedy2
 
but i want 100++ soon. am i just being inpatient with me.
Inpatient or outpatient? I think you meant impatient and yes you are. "I want" has no place here. Remember that what you want is irrelevant. It's all about what you knee is willing to do! So don't set targets, rather look at what you have achieved in the past rather than a goal you might achieve in the future.
my ROM was still only 90degrees. However, he was very pleased with how I had progressed so far and said that he had only got my knee to 100 degrees during the op so not to worry. Possibly this could be to the dreadful state my knee/leg was in prior to surgery
Well there you are then! All that worry for nothing! And of course it's because of the condition of your knee beforehand. That's why we are always urging people not to wait too long.
Although this put my mind at rest I still feel unhappy at times with some of my progress, for example trying to walk normally, without limping when you leg feels as if it is full of cement. I am trying not to use my cane as much as I can but take it out with me
If you limp without the came, it means you need it. The more you try to manage without, the longer you will limp. So don't carry your cane, use it!
 
speedy2 i am walking without my cane now, i do grab it when i know i will be standing for awhile. My most challenging thing is steps i am still one step one foot at a time going down but i am almost step after step coming up. I find my knee sore in the night but i ice and elevate as much as i can, i am worried about returning to work dec 1 we are moving buildings and are expected to pack up our offices . The actual move is dec6.. i may ask my os for another two weeks but that will make 17weeks off and i think my employer will not be happy. My other concerns returning will be icing and getting elevation both will be almost impossible. My knee still feels tight when i walk but i am sure that is swelling from the surgery and then the mua .. Josephine yes impatient is what i meant and i am, i try so hard to not worry about numbers and more on how the knee feels but sometimes those numbers tempt me..
 
You are doing so well kar1963 - I am impressed.
Don't worry about needing another couple of weeks off work. I know exactly what you mean as I have been absent for 14 weeks too, although it seems like a lot longer. It would be better to have another couple of weeks now so that you felt more able to cope with work than returning and having to be absent again. Only you really know how you feel - don't be pushed. These knees dictate the rate of recovery not us - unfortunately!
My knee still feels very tight all of the time so don't worry, hopefully we will lose it soon...

As ever Josephine you are right. Thank you for your comments.
 
Well day one of week two of daily pt and my knee is sore. I've had to take hydrocodone at night and half before pt. I am bending great i was at 98 today and it was a comfy 98. I am not sure if the pain is normal for.a week after mua ,it has been very rainy the last couple days so i think i may be the weather. I was able to get in and out of our hot tub myself so that made me happy. I am still having the tight feeling but it is better than before the mua.. me and my three month old knee are starting to get along i hope, i babysit tonight for my three niece s so that always picks up the spirts, the four year old told me we can play hide and seek and i can sit down lol she is so smart she knows i had a knee replacement and uses the right words if anyone asks her. She told a lady at church that yaya had a bad knee and she went to the store and bought one and her doctor cut her leg and took out the old one and sewed in the new one ... lol
 
Hi kar1963 and speedy2
Glad to hear things continue to improve for both of you. Kar glad the MUA is showing results. I am back to work full time now but have great flexibility to ice or elevate when needed and can switch to work at home if needed. Mostly sitting at my desk with some driving for meetings. If you think you need the extra time take it. Much harder to try to get medical excuse once you do go back. I still take my cane if I go out to new places or if I am unsure of the terrain or if I am extra tired. Most times I end up carrying it or put it in the cart, feels like I use it to justify my handicapped parking sticker. Usually I leave it some place and have to walk 10 times more trying to find it :what: Since I had both knees done I don't have much of a limp because they are close to the same, one of the perks of doing both.

Stay the course, each day gets a little better, keep watching for the little improvements, those things that are easier than the week before,
Stacie
 
Hi Nomorepain67,

I was only thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you are doing - pretty good I see! :yay:That's great news.
It sounds like the 'information' has helped an awful lot. It's wonderful to do ordinary things again isn't it? Just being able to walk into our town and buy a loaf of bread is a fantastic feeling - something I had given up hope of doing. How sad is that:rotfl:
My limited ROM still causes a few problems but in the grand scheme of things my life is already so much improved than previously.
Great to hear how you are going - keep in touch.


Hello kar1963,
How's things with you? Looks like you are making huge improvements since your MUA. You must be feeling so much better about the eventual outcome now.
Keep on improving like this and we will be seeing you in the next Olympic games.
Hope you're also enjoying 'information' days to help you along the road to recovery.:egypdance:

Big hugs to you both
Speedy2
 
speedy2 Nomorepain67. Thanks for your notes. I am doing great i see the dr today and decided to ask for a couple more weeks off. If i am off then i wont be in the way during the big move. Stacie i do the exact same thing with my cane , i am always leaving it somewhere when i take it. I am glad your getting back to work but please take it easy,it is great to hear .... speedy sign me up i am ready... i so understand the just doing normal things wonderfull feeling i swear i wanted to cry when i was abel to grocery shop alone for the first time but i figured they would think i was a nut case ..llol

Take care you two and big hugs to you both
 
Woot woot i got to 100 today in my flex.. i wanted to cry,not from pain just because i wanted to get out of double numbers. Now working to keep it an improve it. I did get an extension on my leave but my boss was not thrilled i predict the heave ho when i get back, we shall see.

Wishing all a happy thanksgiving to those that celebrate ... and to those that don't a happy wonderfull week
 
Well done you - great news. You should feel very proud of yourself:happydance:
I'm sorry you're worried about losing your job. You might find, like me, you are over sensitive at the moment and because in my case have felt guilty being off work, I'm reading all sorts into what colleagues say to me. I return next week...Ironically, i feel so exhausted today and knee not good. I'm wondering how i will cope but will just have to!
Have a wonderful Thanks giving.
Big hugs
Speedy2
:flwrysmile:
 
Inpatient or outpatient? I think you meant impatient and yes you are. "I want" has no place here. Remember that what you want is irrelevant. It's all about what you knee is willing to do! So don't set targets, rather look at what you have achieved in the past rather than a goal you might achieve in the future.
Please remember this!! Josephine is right on the mark (as usual!) It is not about what you want---it is what your knee wants, as it sets up the schedule for the recovery. When you set up a schedule, you are only setting yourself up for frustration and the urge to overwork the knee.

My most challenging thing is steps i am still one step one foot at a time going down but i am almost step after step coming up.
This is one of the last things to take place---the steps are tougher to accomplish, as it take not only ROM, but also strength and a new muscle memory. They will come, but in due time.

I did get an extension on my leave but my boss was not thrilled i predict the heave ho when i get back, we shall see.
I certainly, certainly hope not. You are doing a great job to reclaim the life that rthritis stole fomr you---soon, you will be better than you were even seven or so years ago.
 
referee54 thanks for the post.. i am taking it much more in stride these days, it is hard but i know my knee will do what it does when it does it.. as far as the job issue i have decided that there is not much i can do if that is my fate so i am not giving it to much worry room in my mind , whatever happens I'll be ok and who knows it might be a good thing. I sure do love this forum it has been such a source of informatio and more importantly suppor to be honest i dont think i would be sane at 4 months new knee without all the bs help
 
Well had a good day.. i played hide and seek with a four year old and a two year old today and for the first time since my surgery i could be the seeker and could hide in places . My niece ally told me she is happy my knee is working better now and for once i am fun ..hmmmmm for four she is pretty insightful and blunt. She also noticed i dont use my cane anymore ans was mad ..she liked to use it as a microphone to sing into. Pt is going steady no longer asking my numbers i just ask does it feel better to my therapist when she stretches and bend me.. i just wish that tightness would leave and i have some sore spots that i am sure are just sore from healing.. never in a zillion years did i think i would be still off work and healing . I had myself convinced i would be leaping small buildings in a single bound in 8weeks ha see i was a fool... back to.work.soon yuck
I love my knee and my knee loves me
 
[Bonesmart.org] kar's new knee: a love story
BUT IT IS GOING TO TAKE
[Bonesmart.org] kar's new knee: a love story


I'm always amazed that folks just don't believe that recovery from TKR is going to take at least of minimum of 6 months to begin to feel normal and up to 12 months and sometimes beyond to be completely recovered. We certainly try our best to impart that unpleasant bit of information on a very regular basis.

People often feel that just because they're under 60 and in pretty good shape recovery will be a lot faster for them. They also tend to push themselves with the PT which generally slows their recovery in the beginning.

It's amazing how well recovery goes for those who follow the BoneSmart mantras and find the PATIENCE to take the TIME to heal.

Glad you're doing well and enjoying the grandkids (and that they are enjoying you :) ). Take care, keep us posted. We care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom