TKR kar's new knee: a love story

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband is so sweet he went and got a happy birthday card for my new knee and made me dinner. 2months today .. it seems so long ago but then in seems like it was yesterday... went for a 15min walk after dinner and it felt ok...or on Tuesday I don't like.not having it for four days but I worked on it this weekend.. it was a sore weekend but sore or not I gotta move.to the groove..
 
Dang it... had pt today and I thought for sure my bend would be at least in the 90 range but dang I only went up a couple numbers and not out of the 80s . My pain is zip zero even after pt and my 15min a day walks but the bend is just not getting better and that tight feeling is still there . I have two weeks left on my leave from work so hopefully it gets better and I will be able to sit for more than an hour without pain and swelling and my leg falling asleep from toe to butt. I got my recumbent bike and have not used it but will now I wanted to wait till I talked to my therapist... sleeping is way better I am in bed for about 6 hours of nice sleep.
The topic of mua came up again but I have a feeling I just need more time..
 
You are progressing even if it is a couple of degrees. Hang in there. Will you be able to use your new recumbent bike now? Hang in there, it will come
 
Looking for some help... I am pretty certain the Dr is.going to suggest a mua.. the bend is just stuck.. anyone know do they do xray to find the adhesions ..is their anything I should ask the Dr to do before or try in pt .. I know it is not my fault if I do need one but I am really trying to avoid it.
 
Well had my appointment with my os today and yup I need a mua having it Tuesday of next week. I am a little scared I have the mua done and then a therapy session same day,then pt everyday for two weeks .. does sound right. Josephine I have read I think most everything on bonesmart but words from you always help me
 
Mua now on Thursday.. I need to get my bend back :beg:
 
You are progressing even if it is a couple of degrees.
This is a very accurate statement. Successes---victories in this metaphoric battle we wage called recovery---come in little segments. Total victory is achieved in the end, but it may be a rather long time in coming.

Hang in there, be patient, and you will win the war, so to speak. It just takes time and patience. Do not givbe up, nor give in---just hang in there!
 
Hi kar1963,

Just seen that you are due to have a MUA on Thursday.
I go next week to see my consultant and wonder what he is going to say as my ROM is also not that good, 90%, which it has been for last number of weeks. I'm now at 13 weeks.I know what you mean, it doesn't matter how hard you try, it just won't bend more.
I hope everything goes well for you and you find it has improved your ROM and quality of life.
Keep us posted.
Big hugs to you:)
 
Thanks speedy and ref.. I was trying hard to avoid having it done but both my os an pt say it may help. I have to say we did try hard in therapy but the knee boss said nope I am going to give you 88 and no more. I am a little nervous about it, the scary part is when I am done in recovery I go to therapy.
 
Please do not look at it as a defeat. Sometimes these things happen and the MUA really helps to get you on the right path. Many folks here on the forum have had an MU and it has opened up the road to recovery for them!
 
[Bonesmart.org] kar's new knee: a love story
The MUA is nothing like the surgery you had to replace your knee. Your OS is just going to bend your knee while you're knocked out to places that would have you screaming in pain if you were awake. If there are adhesions--it will break them up and allow you to bend on your own.

Yes, there will probably be swelling and some pain when you wake up---but just follow the mantras and don't over do the exercising once you get home. You need to let your knee recoup for the MUA with a lot of elevating and icing and gentle bending and stretching only to discomfort for a couple of weeks. And take pain meds as needed. Over using an inflamed swollen knee just leads to developing more scar tissue which you want to avoid, so take it slow and easy.

And as Tim says, this may be just the push your knee needs to get its ROM back. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Flash Mob attendee list please BionicWoman2 :happydance:

I hope that the MUA is the solution to your problem! Good luck, I will be praying for you!
 
Well the mua went well except my os changed his mind what cases he was going to do in what order. So I was there at 10am and did not hit the table until 1 :30 , they knocked me out and from.when I left my husband to when they let him come.see me was a half hour. He got me to 128 on the slab lol then off to therapy for just stretching and we got to 92 my extension was not as good as pre but I figured that would happen. I just need a little work getting it back . I am sore tonight but not pain more like a muscle pull, therapy daily now for two weeks and pt said I may see low numbers at first but not to worry..my work begins anew... had a nerve shot and some nice pain meds as it hurt on the 1-10 scale about a 8right after but right now I am elevating and icing and am at a zero.
So I just need to work and pray this did the trick. I want to thank you all for the words of encouragement,send you all cyber hugs

Bionic woman2 bring on the flash mob
 
Omg and higher than a kite I told my OS I loved him today.... he has a super dry sense of humor
 
I'm glad to hear that your MUA went well today kar1963. I was thinking of you even though I haven't really been on BS much this week. Enjoy the opiates while you can. Keep the leg elevated and the ice on the knee and you will be fine.

Take care and get some rest! :flwrysmile:
 
Well kar1963, it sounds as if you're having a wonderful time. I think you need to give us all whatever you're on!
:happydance:
Glad that you are alright and that it looks positive for your recovery.
Big hugs
Speedy2
:flwrysmile:
 
Well 3 weeks into this journey and other than not being able to sleep I think I am doing great. I start out pt next week and am walking 100 % with a cane during the day but use my walker at night. I still can't manage a bed but have a great recliner that is pod central. My in house of went good and seemed to fly by both my therapists were awesome . I am trying really hard to stay upbeat everyday but trust me I allow myself a good cleansing cry now and again, it seems night is the hardest to get past . I have learned a great deal of insight about myself such as I am not a patient person with myself and I really did not have a high pain tolerance lol. I love this sight and am thankful I found it ...side note and ? Post op and still today my left upper thigh is still numb I had a rtkr and have told Dr and pt that it remains numb and gets a bit painful if I stand or walk to long...has anyone else had this and should I be worried Dr and pt say it could be from the spinal and will come back

hi i am three weeks after right knee rep just had my best day so far , as soon as my wife got up this morning did all the stretching and warm up exercises took my pain killers, then had a long shower with plenty of hot water on the knee ,straight after that i did my knee bends alot easier when still warm , i know what you mean about bed not being good at the moment , when i do go to bed i have a thin old pillow to put under the knee and over the the good one that works on your own , hope it keeps going ok with you,mal in sussex england .
 
I am shouting this from the roof tops.. i rode the bike at pt today and did a full rotation with no pain at all. I am so excited .. bend was at 96 now i am icing and elevating
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom