TKR Karena71's recovery....

@karena71 Yep, I can relate to that feeling also, I probably did more getting up moving around and doing things in the beginning than I should have. Think I probably set myself back a little bit with my early on antsy-ness, now I seem more content more weeks out. I had so much trouble getting interested in things, wasn't able to read, couldn't focus enough to read, screwed up sleep schedule, tired to easy to do to much of anything, but I sure did try. It will get better, t.v. seemed to be my best friend, got into watching some series on Netflix and I could keep myself occupied for many hrs that way. I guess you can always try to get out to relieve some boredom, just make it a short trip. ( I still haven't re-found my enjoyment to go shopping, right now any shopping is a trip in, get what I need and head home...........husband should be happy it will save him some money. )
 
@thecoll my infection reared its head at week 4, so I really hadn't done anything after coming home from 11 days in the hospital and transition unit, then the infection and I was back in for another 11 days. When someone says they have cabin fever, I totally get it. Just stopping for breakfast or lunch after an appointment was perfect, very little restaurant traffic, I could prop up my leg and feel a bit normal. My first real outing was going to my parent's for Christmas where I sat in their recliner, but 20 days later I was feeling well enough to see Wicked. My knee did swell, but it was worth it. I can definitely sympathize to be stuck in the house. If you decide to try eating out, remember to prop up your leg.
 
Thanks all. I could not imagine 3 months! I had to go to PT once a week since surgery and both times Hubby and I ate in restaurant and then went grocery shopping after. I'm just used to being so much more active.

@thecoll. I'm not doing much in exercises at home. Trying to go easy like BS says. PT guy don't know that though. [emoji6]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
But remember, you are in control of the PT guy! You make him go easy! You are the customer and the customer is always right!
 
How often and how long should I be icing my knee now that I'm 8 1/2 weeks out from LTKR? I went back to work full time last Monday and am able to keep ice on it all day. I sit down and am unable to stretch leg out to keep it elevated though. When I get home at night I'm up and down and all over and not icing much if any at all. No icing on the weekend either. Obviously I still have some internal swelling as my ROM is only at 86. Based on Josephine's swelling pics I bounce back and forth between mild and moderate. Just wondering if I should be at constant ice like the first stages of recovery or if I should be tapering down.

Thanks,
Karen
 
Even now, the more you can ice, the better. Elevate when you can, too.

You've gone back to work earlier than we recommend, so do try not to do so much when you get home. That's the time when you should just get an easy meal and then sit down to rest, ice and elevate your leg.

At work, ice when you can (constantly isn't necessary) but do remember to get up and walk around a little, about every hour.
 
When I went back to part time at 12 weeks I couldn't ice at work, but I iced in the afternoon and evening. When 18 weeks I continued to ice in the evening because my knee would get swollen and tight. The more you can elevate and ice, the better especially since your back to work.
 
Karen, I am 2 weeks ahead of you and started working from home last week and I am trying to find a happy medium with elevating and icing. I have struggled with tightness/stiffness thus ROM due to internal swelling so I continue to ice about 2-3 times a day sometimes more on the weekend. Elevating without ice helps as well. Are you still going to PT? My ROM is hovering around 95 so that along with the tightness it gets me discouraged. Are you or your OS concerned about ROM? I know many on BS got increased ROM with time so that is what I am hoping for.
 
I am 4+ months and I still ice. Yesterday was the first day I didn't and today I'm back icing. I find it so much better than popping pills!
 
I'm doing much better now. Last weekend we traveled a bit and went out and about. For some reason I went back into my old routine once the Dr. cleared me for work. So after this past weekend, I swelled and had bad pain. Nurse confirmed I over did it. I told her how I have trouble icing at home because of my activity so she set me up with an Aircast Cryo/Cuff Cooler. I can fill the knee wrap with water/compression and move around unlimited until I need to replace the water. I've had it on for almost 24 hours and am noticing a HUGE improvement. No stiffness when getting up and no pain. Also feel like I can bend my knee farther.

@thecoll - Dr is not concerned much by my limited ROM. He said at my last visit that I am farther along than he thought I would be. He said my knee looked 80 years old when he took it out. I also had been limping very badly for a long time before I found him. My old Dr. wouldn't consider my TKR. I won't wait as long when my other knee goes for sure!

So I am now 9 weeks out and walking unassisted. I put the cane away 3 weeks ago when I noticed I was putting my weight on it instead of trying to walk normal. Today at work, with my cryo cuff, I'm able to walk full speed (pre-arthritis) down the hall with no limp at all!!! Happy girl here today!

Hope everyone else is having a great day as well!!

Karen
 
Forgot to mention that I got "cupped" at PT last night. Much like they did the swimmers in this past summer Olympics. Thankfully, I don't have the dark red circles on my knee today.

[Bonesmart.org] Karena71's recovery....



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How is the cupping supposed to help? I never understood why they did it at the Olympics at all.

I'm glad that you are felling better and the cuff is working so well.
 
@newlybionic - PT guy said that it is supposed to increase blood flow and bring oxygen to the area to promote healing for injuries. Not sure if it actually works or not but my knee did feel better when I left. Probably from him pulling and tugging at the scar tissue. Not sure if they really can tell if it actually promotes faster healing or if it's just a theory. ???
 
Not sure if it actually works or not but my knee did feel better when I left. Probably from him pulling and tugging at the scar tissue.
Please don't let him do that. It's completely unnecessary and it could cause some damage.
 
@Celle - it was the suction cups that pulled and tugged. It really didn't hurt bad at all.
 
The suction cups shouldn't do that either. In fact, I don't think it's a good idea to use them. You don't want to bring extra blood to the area, because that could increase swelling. That's why we advise against using heat on your new knee, but icing it instead.
 
@Celle-makes sense. I'll ask if he tries it again. Thx!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is vitally important to remember that the PT works for you, not the other way around. You have the right to dictate what you will do and what is unacceptable. Draw that line in the sand and do not let folks cross it.
[Bonesmart.org] Karena71's recovery....
 
Cupping is a very old treatment stemming from ancient Chinese medicine. When I was in early training for my nursing, we were trained how to do this using glass bowls and a flame with little squares of lint dipped in spirit and lit with a match. It also had a dab of Vaseline on the corner to make it adhere to the bottom of glass before it was inverted onto the body! Once the vacuum had been created, the flame goes out!

[Bonesmart.org] Karena71's recovery....



However, as far as you are concerned, it's unlikely to do any good whatsoever.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom