Guest viewing is limited

TKR Karena71's recovery....

Have to agree with the others don't think the cupping idea is good for the knee. I don't want to see you set yourself back in recovery be careful. I wouldn't that any suction on that area would be good. Skins still tender and mending
 
Listen to @zzevi. Read how much PT set her back. To me, it sounds like a setup for more swelling and less bending. You are doing so good it'd be a shame that you were set back through no fault of your own. There are many wonderful therapists out there, but unfortunately there are those that are in it just for the money from the insurance company and will keep you coming long after you need to. Please be careful.
 
Over the course of time before I had to stop I had 20+ p/t sessions, and in the beginning that's where most of the pushing took place and threats of MUA. Not sure why when my records indicated my ROM after surgery and directly the first few weeks after surgery were going so well and had good numbers why they felt the need to push, this is the start of all my set backs. After I told the OS and the p/t I was fine with were my ROM was they did let up, but by then, that is when my incision had opened up the most and I was going the other direction. Please, can't say it enough but to take it easy.........less really is more. I learned the hard way. Right now I am still mending from this additional set back, but overall I feel ok and I am getting around ok, all areas need improvement, but feel it will come now on it's own. Wound care clinic even told me, no extra strain on my knee at least for another 4 wks. So I will stick to daily living and walking. It's kind of like @KarriB and the others where they were forced to stop for a while with p/t in the end they came out fine. It's hard to believe that at the time, I know I felt I needed to do what the professionals were telling me.
 
I can see why you would try cupping after seeing the marks on the backs of Olympic swimmers! But, it is really silly medicine---will they try leeches next? Just because the Chinese did something in the 5th century BC does not mean it works for us in the 21st century!!

I have to tell you that I went to a lymphatic massage therapist with something of the same attitude---I will try anything. When the really nice woman took the time to explain how the lymphatic system worked to me, it did start to make sense. she did a wonderful massage of my knee and then gave me a "wrap" to wear at night or when I was resting. Really? I thought it was hookum, but I thought why not try it? And I was so surprised in the am to see a visible reduction of my swelling. I wore the wrap for almost six weeks after my revision surgery and by then, all the swelling was gone.

I don't blame you for trying everything---I sure did. But, the most effective thing that I found was lymphatic massage. Ask your PT for a recommendation---Mine recommended the woman I went to see.
 
How long did the tiredness last for all of you? I've been so sleepy lately and wonder if it's still from recovery.
thanks,
Karen
 
It's still only just over two months since your TKR. The energy drain is going to linger for some time yet, because your energy is still going towards healing your knee. read this article again, and it could help you to understand:
Energy drain for TKRs
 
I felt an energy drain and lack of stamina for 6 months after surgery and it was 9 months before I was able to live and workout as I had in the past. During the summers I usually swim 15-20 laps (or 30-40 lengths) a day, however when I started swimming again, just swimming 4-5 lengths wiped me out. I had to work up to my normal laps slowly. I had been biking 4 miles a day for 2 months before I started swimming again.

Just realize it while take a while to regain the stamina you were accustomed to. The surgery and your body's healing process take so much from your body, you will regain your stamina over the course of a months, not weeks.
 
How long did the tiredness last for all of you?
I mad the mistake of returning to the class room at eight weeks post-BTKR. At the end of the day, I was exhausted. I was stiff, sore and exhausted and all I did on Sundays after church was rest, ice and elevate.

It took me at least two more months before I felt the stamina begin to come back---and even then, I was not a full 100%----at six months, 80%-85%, and it was not until around eight months or so that I was 90%-95%.
 
Still tuckering out easier than before my surgery. I feel like walking correctly being up on my feet for long periods of time is what's wearing at me. Mornings I have my most energy at wk and by afternoon I am struggling but each week I do feel like I am improving
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing improvement is so encouraging. I still don't have all my energy back yet either. It truly takes time.
 
Thanks everyone for your responses. I just don't have the patience for this. And to think at some point I'll have to go thru it all over again with my right knee. :bawl:
 
But each knee is different! Maybe it will be better.
And Make plans for something nice in the future after all is done!
I've got a nice romantic weekend planned away from home!
 
I just don't have the patience for this. And to think at some point I'll have to go thru it all over again with my right knee.
I don't think there's one of us whose patience hasn't been tried to the limit. However, it really is worth the effort to be patient. Your knee will heal more easily if you don't overwork it now.
 
I thought I could build my stamina back up, but I failed miserably.
 
Is that the observation of those around you? I am learning that when I think I am falling short ( ie not getting extension or flexion) that is not what others see. And usually measurements corroborate what they see and not what I think I am doing.
 
Yesterday was a GREAT day! Got my knee to bend to 92 at PT finally! Extension is at 4. I'm getting there though.

And my Cubs won the World Series! I've been a life long Cubs fan thru good and mostly bad. LOL My nickname as a kid was Cubby. I'll be getting a tattoo soon. Always said when they won it I would. Going to get Cubs logo from when I was a kid with the World Series 2016 on it. Also want to somehow include a memorial to my Grandpa on it as he is the reason I'm such a huge Cubs fan.

Karen
 
@karena71 Yeah, great news on hitting 92 on your ROM. So glad you had a great day and seeing improvement. Do you feel tightness/stiffness in the knee area and do you have any swelling down in the foot/ankle area while work? So excited the Cubs one another reason to celebrate. What a game it was.
 
@thecoll - yes, if I sit too long I still have the stiffness. I have pain on inside of knee and the tightness. I'm still taking pain meds during work. If I over do it my ankle does swell. I've been forcing myself to go easy. I'm afraid I'm not a very good patient. LOL


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@karena71 and @thecoll life could be just about perfect if it weren't for the stiffness and swelling. Can't wait till the day arrives that it's a thing of the past. And I so lack patiences, maybe by having the tkr it was a test for me to gain more patiences in my life, because there def is no rushing this process of healing and recovery. Enjoying watching both your postings. It's a slow process, but I think at some point we will make it to the finish line girls.
 
Ladies you are right, it's all about patience. @zzevi true statement...if the tightness/stiffness was not there it would feel like it was worth it. Since we are told this will eventually go away I guess I have something to look forward to. Just nice to know I am not alone with this recovery. Headed off to PT.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom