Guest viewing is limited

TKR Karena71's recovery....

@karena71 How are you doing? How is your ROM? Last week was my first week back at work, the 3 weeks prior I worked from home. Boy was I exhausted when I got home and my ankle was swollen. You started back at work before me so thought I would ask how you balance work, PT and trying to improve ROM. Do you have tightness feeling in your knee? Hope all is going well
 
Colleen, even after 5 months I still get that stiffness when I've been more active. They say to give it a year, and I believe it'll take every bit of it for me! I hope you adjust to working really soon.
 
@thecoll Hey! Congrats on getting back to work!! I've been back for a month now and I have to say that just last week was when the extreme tiredness started to go away. I hadn't even realized that until you asked and I had to think about it!

My PT guy has not measured my ROM since that day. I only go once a week, usually Wed. after work. I've also noticed that I'm spending more time walking around stores now. My daughter and I were actually able to go window shopping last Friday evening. Haven't been able to do that and enjoy it in years!

I do still have the tight feeling in my knee. I also ice all day at work with my Cryo-cuff. Last week follow up with OS and he was very happy with my progress. He said he could tell I was better just by the way my face was lit up. :)

Last month I was asked if I thought the TKR was worth it. I told them to ask me in a year. Today I can definitely say YES at the 3 month out mark.

Hope all is well with you also!!!
 
Good to hear, @karena71! Three months is when most people seem to see a difference. There may still be days your knee is sore or swollen and you have to take it easy, but overall it seems to be a turning point.
 
This girl is officially done with PT! Last night I was able to bend to 102 and straighten to 3. Was pedaling both forward and backward on the exercise bike also! :egypdance::happydance::yes!:
 
BTW....should I still be experiencing tiredness off and on this far after surgery? Thought that was getting better but has struck again this past week and a half.
 
BTW....should I still be experiencing tiredness off and on this far after surgery? Thought that was getting better but has struck again this past week and a half.
I would say yes to that---stamina is one of the last aspects to return, and, while you are three months removed from the surgery, a complete recovery can take upwards to a year---so just remember that you are still on the roller-coaster ride. The stamina will slowly return.
[Bonesmart.org] Karena71's recovery....
 
I agree. I still get tireder than I use to before the surgery. It's better, but by the time night comes I'm wiped out.
 
When I went back to lap swimming in June, 8 months after surgery I could only swim 4-5 laps at first and had to build up slowly even after teaching full time for 3 1/2 months. I was surprised that it was so difficult.
 
@karena71 that is great news, no more PT and your ROM has improved! At first I could only pedal backwards then eventually I could pedal forward and what a great feeling of accomplishment. As for feeling tired, I still have days of feeling exhausted especially after work. Also my speed in walking is a little slow but often times I actually get out if breath. Hoping this will improve with time.
 
@thecoll our stories sound similar although I am actually time wise ahead of you a bit. I am still getting tuckered out. Doesn't take much for me to doze off during the evening while sitting watching t.v.
And my steps, I am slow not much speed that's for sure and I can't seem to stay caught up with even some of the slowest of walkers. But my husband said I take small steps, I feel like I am taking a normal size step but maybe not. I used to be ahead of my husband when we walked, then as my knee got worse it was harder to keep up, now with the new I am just trying to gain a normal walking pattern, and to be able to keep up.
 
Pretty sure I over did it yesterday. Went mall shopping and stood in a line for 20 minutes. Then I went and did large grocery shopping trip right after the mall. I have no energy or ambitions today but my mind is telling me that I have so much to do. It really is hard to find the right balance of activity and rest when your knee starts feeling and moving better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Even at 6 months standing still in line hurts my knees. I wonder how those that had tkr years ago do while standing in long lines.
 
Yeah it's brutal. The first 6 weeks are tough. Good luck to you. Ice your knee as much as possible. RTKR 9/6/2016.
 
karena71, are you be chance from NW Indiana? I'm looking for recommendations for OS in the area. I have a couple I'm considering, but haven't scheduled yet, so am open to recommendations. Any thoughts?! Thank you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom