PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

I saw my PCP today for my annual checkup. I haven’t seen her since before the surgery. She thought my knee looked more swollen than it should be and was a little bit concerned. She said if it hasn’t gone down (consistently…it comes and goes) in a month, she wants to do a blood test to check for infection down in the prosthetic. She said they can brew down in there and not be obvious. That scared me! Anyone who has had a deep infection (ie. not the incision but down in the joint) what were your symptoms?
 
It is common to have swelling at 2 months post op. Your PCP is not a joint replacement specialist, so she may have inaccurate concerns.
 
Thank you benne68, I have just now read a few of these. Frankly they terrified me. I have nothing but admiration and respect for those that have gone through it and made it out the other side. Jockette, I hope you’re right and she just isn’t used to seeing joint replacements, though she seemed very confident talking about them. She did say it was just a little concerning but not to worry too much since I haven’t had any redness, fever, chills, etc. So of course I’m worrying anyway. It is frustrating that my PA, PT, and PCP all seem to agree that my swelling is unusual but have no clear answers for me. But I have had some improvement the last week or so, so I’m trying to stay calm and focus on that!
 
She did say it was just a little concerning but not to worry too much since I haven’t had any redness, fever, chills, etc.
Why don't you put your worrying on hold until you have some of those other symptoms. As @Jockette said, swelling is normal at 2 months post-op. (n fact, I still had some swelling at 4 months out!) :)
 
Thank you benne68, I have just now read a few of these. Frankly they terrified me. I have nothing but admiration and respect for those that have gone through it and made it out the other side. Jockette, I hope you’re right and she just isn’t used to seeing joint replacements, though she seemed very confident talking about them. She did say it was just a little concerning but not to worry too much since I haven’t had any redness, fever, chills, etc. So of course I’m worrying anyway. It is frustrating that my PA, PT, and PCP all seem to agree that my swelling is unusual but have no clear answers for me. But I have had some improvement the last week or so, so I’m trying to stay calm and focus on that!
Hi, I'm still swollen at after 90 days. Some days better than others. Particularly after exercise, but, it is usually 12 hours after. I elevate and ice. But, I hear you on the worrying thing. I am still told my ROM sucks (by pt) and, although not pushing the idea of MUA, has eluded to it. NOPE! I'll just keep plugging.
 
@Dancingqueen it sounds like we are on similar trajectories. I’ve seen some progress the last week or two, baby steps (literally!) but enough to give me some hope. Then my neighbor who had a knee replacement 3 years ago told me she refused a MUA and wouldn’t let them hurt her and she slowly regained her ROM over TWO YEARS until she had full flexion again! Those stories are so good to hear! I’m starting to think my knee is just on its own timeline and doesn’t care what expectations there are (including mine!). It will heal in its own time. I remember with my two hip repairs, the first week I was miserable and sick; two or three weeks went really great, then I had a really rough couple of months where everything was wrong and things were not progressing as they should. But then…things turned around and I ended up healing really well. So maybe that’s just how some of our bodies respond to the insult of surgery: on their own timelines. I’m beginning to think mine does. Imagine if our doctors told us that instead of the relentless frantic pressure and timelines they put on us! We would all be so much better off. Hang in there Dancingqueen. Time is on our side.
 
Also: I think my surgeon broke up with me. I messaged the PA on Monday with some questions and also said I do not want to do MUA. This hospital has always been amazing at communication. If you message them, SOMEONE will message you back within 24 hrs max, either the PA or a nurse. It’s one reason I chose to have a third surgery there instead of somewhere else. This time…crickets. I think they are exasperated that I am saying no and don’t want to help me if I don’t follow their recommendations. Of course this is conjecture on my part, but it is interesting that they have always gotten back to me until now when I have refused a treatment. On the other hand, my PCP is helping with my blood tests and I have a great PT, so I am in good hands there. I could have messaged the PA again but I kind of think I will just let it be for now.
 
Wow! Thank you for your insights. I think that I’m relying so heavily on my surgeon and pt. I’ve known them both for over 10 years and they’ve always supported myself and husband through injuries and other surgeries. But, this is just a whole different thing, this mechanical knee. Between pt visits, I’m walking a bit, doing some exercises (gently), but, pain is always present.
I composed an honest, what-I-know now email to my boss yesterday. He wants to talk Monday.
Oh boy….well, I must have faith. There has got to be a day when I’m not living 24/7 with knee regrets ☺️
So glad to be on this website.
I feel grounded and not so alone! Thank you
 
Yes, good luck tomorrow @Dancingqueen! I hope your boss is understanding and flexible. So much about this healing process is out of our hands, and all you can do is your best. I don’t know when I’ll be able to work again. I’m a horse trainer and I’m even considering that I may have to find a different job, at least for a while. My work is incredibly physical and I can’t expect my customers to wait forever. I’ve come back from many other injuries and surgeries, but this knee replacement is a different beast.
 
Oh man! I think, if you’re doing something you love, it’d be a difficult decision to change. But, I appreciate your insights. I really felt a bit “crazy” before I found this forum. My husband and friends are very supportive, but, as time goes on, they all seem to have expectations that I am finding are unrealistic (I can go up stairs, but, I hold the rail and, after 4 or 5, I’m done..downstairs? No way! One at a time only). But, my Seattle Seahawks win, Washington Huskies killed it and, although they beat my Mariners, I was glad Houston is heading to World Series.
I digress….
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Congrats on your Seattle teams doing well Dancingqueen :) My husband is also a Hawks fan. And I’m looking forward to hearing how your meeting with your boss went! I hope better than you even hoped for.

I would hate to leave horse training, it is my passion and I have been doing it for 25 years. But part of my concern is the fear factor. I have been through a lot with all these surgeries, and spent way too much time incapacitated and hurting. I worry I have lost my nerve for taking risks. I so desperately want to avoid more injury and disruption to my life. Horse training is inherently risky, and you cannot do it successfully if you are operating from a place of fear. Your fear can infect the horse and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, so to speak. A frightened horse is a dangerous horse. You have to be bold to be a good horse trainer. They want to know you are strong and capable and therefore they are safe with you. I feel my confidence is shaken and I am a much more fearful person after all of this. Hopefully that will pass with time but I just don’t know. And I don’t know how long it will take before I am physically capable. It’s been 2 years now mostly away from it and I’ve never been out so long. I’m not in my 20’s anymore so fitness doesn’t bounce back as fast.

I know all will be well in the end, and if I can’t get back to training again, there must be something else I’m meant to do. As long as I can ride my own horse and hike again, I will be ok. And I have faith those things will be possible. :prayer:
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Today I walked the roads to the SW corner of my 4 acres. That is the equivalent of about 2-1/2 blocks out and then back. 3 weeks ago just walking across my small house was agony. I am coming back! Slowly but surely!!
 
I also had a fear factor in my recovery, which surprised me, and it has lessened over time. The surgery is quite an assault to our body, no matter how much our mind understands the necessity of such, in order to fix our painful knee. My personal opinion is that our mind remembers this assault and causes us to fear being hurt again. Give yourself time to heal, you are still early in the process. :console2:

My daughter minored in equestrian studies in college, and worked in a barn after she graduated, as a certified riding instructor, among all the other duties of working with horses. It is a lot of work, but they are such amazing animals. (Sometimes as overgrown toddlers, as she called some of them!) I hope you’ll heal well and be able to do what you love in the future.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Thanks Jockette. So cool, the equine connection! That’s wonderful your daughter is able to work in such a rewarding field.

Interesting that you felt fearful too. I swear, it’s almost like ptsd. I guess I should put my other surgeries on here so maybe you can add them to my signature?

June 2015 Open osteochondroplasty and labrum debridement, left hip

March 2021 Arthroscopic revision osteochondroplasty and labrum repair, left hip

January 2022 Arthroscopic diagnostic and clean up surgery, left knee

August 2022 Patellofemoral replacement, left knee
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: shr
You're welcome! :wink:
I hope you sleep well tonight.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
Anybody know the equivalent dosage of ibuprofen to 200 mg/day of celecoxib? My prescription is running out and I really don’t want to change things too much when I’m finally seeing progress! I figured I’d switch to ibuprofen but want to hopefully have the same anti inflammatory effect as I’ve had with the celecoxib.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom