Ok! Well, since it’s just past 4 months, and since I just had a birthday, and since Christmas is right around the corner…I thought I’d post a full update with the good and the bad of where I’m at right now.
First, the GOOD: My pain levels are very low. I would characterize it more as discomfort now, and it’s usually hardly noticeable. My swelling has improved a LOT. That has been my biggest challenge and I’m so glad it’s improved so much. It still looks bigger than my other knee, and it still swells some in the evening, mostly if I’ve been extra active, but it is nothing like it was a month or two ago. My ROM is getting better. I haven’t measured it and I don’t plan to anytime soon but I can tell because I can go up stairs now, I can pedal the bike now, I can put on shoes and socks easier and get in and out of the car easier, etc.
As a result of the improved ROM and reduction in swelling, my limp is almost gone. It was pretty gnarly for a while there. I still have to concentrate on walking properly but I can actually do it! My knee is getting stronger and more resilient. I can step over and around things better now and walk on more uneven ground and it doesn’t feel like any odd movement will hurt or make my knee give out. I can comfortably squat a little bit with even weight on both legs. When I stand on that foot my leg feels solid.
I am able to get more exercise now, albeit light exercise. I am walking up to 1 -1/2 miles in my neighborhood now and getting around 6,000 steps total most days. I am riding the stationary bike for 10-15 minutes every afternoon, and pedaling at a moderate tempo. I can be on my feet for 2-3 hours without pain or much swelling. Which means I can go see live music and mingle with friends, cook a big meal, do an escape room, etc. Fun stuff! I’m feeling safer working around my horse (leading, grooming, etc).
Best of all, I can ride! I haven’t tried riding in the saddle yet (feet in stirrups) but bareback is going great. I’m feeling much more secure up there. I’m really loving it! Seeing all this progress has been good for my mental health. I have hope!
Will post again soon with the bad…
