Guest viewing is limited

TKR June 30th 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
:hi: @martyz4
Isn't it amazing, I also asked my PT yesterday why when he counts to 5 it is much, much slower than when I count to five !
The must learn slooooow counting when they are doing their PT training.
PT is a very big part of the recovery/ Rehab process in Ireland and luckily in the Rehab facility I have 2 short sessions Mon - Fri and then 1-2 self directed sessions at my own time during the day.
Plan on a few short day trips with husband to get use to the real world . As will leave the Rehab centre on Wed 6 August, having been in hospital since 16 July , it will be 3 weeks detached from the outside world!
Take care & have a good day
 
@marmora you go home the same day hubby goes in for surgery. Bet you are going to be glad to get back to a normal (or semi normal) life.
 
Tiredwife, our latest pup is a yorkie. We have a 14 year old pom KC and a 9 year old little yorkie named maddie, both girls. The new pup is Turbo, he is fast and a real character. He's much bigger than our little girl and loves people, maddie is scared of people.

The physical therapist rubs the whole incision. I don't know if it helps or not. My other scar looks pretty good and she was my PT for that one too. I am sleeping good and can get around the house unaided. I don't think I will do that outside yet. Still taking the meds every 4 hours. I have the milder percocet now 5/325. Seem to be just fine with 1. It says 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I have gone shopping and use the little scooters in the stores, especially Costco and SamsClub. I can navigate Trader Joes with just the shopping cart.

Hope everyone is coming along with their healing, hang in there and thanks for listening!!! :thankyou:
 
@martyz4 Bet Turbo is driving KC crazy. She is probably wondering what all the fuss is?
First time we went to WalMart after hubby's surgery he wanted one of the little scooters, but they were all in use, so he had to walk. Wore him out.
 
I have a time trying to get one in Walmart too. I don't know if I would even shop without one in there. I am all over the store and I would be sore and tired.

Our pom KC is blind and diabetic, bless her heart. She just growls at Turbo and he keeps out of her way (sometimes that isn't the case) Maddie gets after him if he bothers her. Poor Maddie has a collapsing trachea and can't get too excited so when our dd brought Turbo home we were in a bit of shock lol!!
 
Here I am on my 5th week today. I have felt miserable. Not so much my knee just my whole self. I stopped the pain pills today. Yesterday I had 1 percocet 5-325 at 3pm then nothing today. I thought it may help me feel better but instead I feel awful. I know I will have to take one in the morning for physical therapy. I might take one in a little while because the knee is a bit tender feeling as is the scar, bit stinging too. I went outside and sat down and felt a click or something on the outside of my knee--that didn't feel good. Like something rubbed against something else in there.

Okay vented enough, sorry for my moaning and groaning. I do enjoy getting your feedback, sure helps me relate and understand what I am going through isn't unusual or weird.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just stopping pain medication suddenly can make you feel miserable for a couple of days. Another way to stop taking the meds is to cut them in half and take your normal times. Or just space them out more - like six hours instead if four until you don't need them. There is an article in the library about reducing your pain meds. Good luck and I do hope you feel better soon!
 
Thanks so much Jozilla, I took a pain pill last night and actually felt a bit better. Strange with my other knee I never noticed any kind of withdrawal symptoms, but I think you hit the nail on the head. I will definitely cut down on the pills instead of abruptly stopping them.

I have physical therapy today at 11:30 so I took my pill at 10 am and will pray it works lol!! I will keep an eye on what she's doing too and speak up if it hurts. Thanks to you all giving me the heads up on this.
 
I lived through my physical therapy today, just barely!! Then I had an appointment with my doctor. Wow she was so pleased with my progress she said my knee is bending more than it did before the surgery. And has nearly full extension. (laying in straight) All this at 5 weeks out is great. I will keep it up...I hope!!
 
@martyz4 Sorry I haven't been on here sooner, the site has been such a pain and life has been hectic with knee #2 the 6th. Got him home today. Sounds like you are doing good. I would call you doc about the spa, I think the incision would have to be fully healed. I don't know about the heat on the knee?
Sounds like KC and Maddie are keeping Turbo in line. He will learn.
Have a great evening.
 
Oh boy tired, you do have your hands full!! Hope your dh is doing well, he is in very good hands!!!

I think this feeling good or feeling bad is some what like a roller coaster. One day I am fine the next for no apparent reason blah. My pain is pretty mild lately even without pills. I won't just stop taking them though. I will taper off.

I have noticed it takes a long time to connect to this site lately, slow. Wonder why. Maybe not enough band width for the traffic.

You guys have a great day, it was nice to hear from you again.
 
@martyz4 Yes it is a roller coaster ride. Yes taper them off. They are working on the site. Hubby overdid it in the hospital so we are trying to get a handle on the pain and swelling. You have a great day.
 
Another day at physical therapy. I am beginning to get a bit upset lately at the things she has me do. She put me on a recumbent bike because of my sacroiliac. Well today she decided I could go on the straight up bike, which I did and was able to pedal all the way around front and back. I was happy about that but still wondering why the change. My back hasn't changed??

Then the pushing my knee up to where it hurts and holds for a count of 10. Then the pushing my knee flat down and hold for a count of 10. All these are fine but I don't remember her being so aggressive with my other knee and it turned out fine? Also on the total gym I am doing some pumping with my feet, this has been irritating the outside of my knee. i have this recurrent click that is annoying me. The doc said metal on plastic and that it should get better. Well after therapy feels worse. I am not a professional, she is telling me they are working on it and all I can do is hope she's right.

I did get norco which I am told is milder than percocet and looking forward to getting away from the stronger pain pill. I am 6 weeks yesterday. Curious if I am doing as good as everyone says??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
all I can do is hope she's right.

@martyz4, actually you can [Bonesmart.org] June  30th 2014 to whatever is painful. Any exercise you do should not go beyond discomfort. Your knee does NOT need rough treatment---it needs a lot of TLC. Remember you are the customer which means that YOU are always right! The PT works for you not the other way around----and they are NOT always right. They are frequently wrong when rehabbing a joint replacement.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@bottomshollo, thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to keep a better account of how I feel before and after physical therapy. I think I will have to say something to her if I continue to feel worse..
 
@martyz4 Sorry so late in answering your post. There is no reason for them to put their hands on you, except to maybe move the knee cap a little and to hold the measure tool up to your leg. Do not let them push you to pain, remember a pt doesn't know it all, and they have been known to cause serious injury to people. One person even ended up with a broken bone. Take charge, let them know you are in charge. With my hubby if an exercise caused pain his pt would change to something else. Some exercises hurt his hip, back or knee so they changed him to something else. Tell them they will not touch you or you will find a different PT!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom