TKR June 30th 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you're doing well. IT does feel good to do some normal activities but beware of overdoing. It's probably not a bad idea to have some pain meds that are less strong at this point --at least that's what I found. After the first couple of weeks I definitely still needed meds, but didn't need anything as strong as the percocet.

If they worked you hard in PT AND you were cooking, you can probably be a bit lazy today. :)
 
I definitely overdo then pay for it. I wish I would realize this before the fact. Came back from the grocery store yesterday and just felt yucky...that's the best word I could use. Took Tylenol and slept the rest of the day, ate a bite of dinner and back to sleep. I think I can handle pain better than feeling sick. Have no idea why I felt like that. :eeeuw:
 
I was looking at my profile and found my age was 97 :doh: !!! I think I goofed somewhere. Is there any way to edit this?? Also how do I put the dates of my surgeries in here? Thanks :chinstroke:
 
I was reading about people feeling really depressed or sad after surgery. I think I am one of them. Right now just reading about it brought tears to my eyes. Felt like that yesterday too. Gosh I hate this. One minute I am fine the next an emotional wuss. :bawl:
 
@martyz4 at the very top of the page is a grey box with your name click on that and you can get to all your data from there. A lot of people get weepy. Some of it is the drugs, some is just frustration.
 
Felt awful today. Didn't want to take pain meds, didn't feel hungry. I really just felt horrible. I finally took a pain med and felt much better. I wish I didn't need to take them but I think I better just go with it. They really alter my feelings, make me sad and not hungry but I need to eat while taking them. Kind of a catch 22 isn't it. Tomorrow PT again, not even looking forward to it. I am in one of those down days I guess. :boohoo:
 
@martyz4 Yes the meds take your appetite away, and make you sad. But if you are in pain you need them. I had to tempt my hubby to eat by cooking things I knew he liked. You need to make sure you eat protein to help with the healing and energy level.
Hubby doesn't miss PT, but he misses getting out of the house to go to PT.
 
I was reading about people feeling really depressed or sad after surgery. I think I am one of them.
Those pain meds will do it to you----plus the lack of activity as well as the lack of independence

I would stand in front of my front window in my living room and watch the world go by.

I wish I didn't need to take them but I think I better just go with it. They really alter my feelings, make me sad and not hungry but I need to eat while taking them.

The Oxycontin that I took made me feel like I was walking around in a giant cottonball, but I needed them for the pain.

I think you have to weigh the alternatives---for me, the pain was worse than the lack of appetite and inability to concentrate.
 
I think you have to weigh the alternatives---for me, the pain was worse than the lack of appetite and inability to concentrate.

I think this must be fact with most pain pills. I have to force myself to eat. It isn't like I am a little person that doesn't eat much, I enjoy food so it is something I am not comfortable with.

I suppose if we are in pain we aren't going to feel very hungry anyway. Okay I am back on to the one day at a time schedule in my mind. Today marks 28 days since surgery. Seems like a long time but with all the weird feelings coming and going it isn't that long.

Again I hope you are all hanging in there and feeling the best you can under the circumstances. I thank you for all the feedback!!
 
You're right--it seems long, but in this recovery 28 days is a drop in the bucket. Each day is a new adventure. :wink:
Having good pain control is really helpful in the recovery.
When I lost my appetite I just tried to eat a little bit throughout the day rather than even try to eat normal meals.
 
Here I am again the day after physical therapy. I am sore and I have to wonder just how good it is for me. She does this deep tissue massage at the end of the exercises and I think it bothers my incision instead of helping it. I maybe just thinking the worst I don't know.

I am also very curious why the doctors in Britain don't do PT? I happen to think that they are very on the ball over there so what's the reason? Course I was born in Scotland so I'm a bit prejudice too. In any case I will keep it up and make sure they don't over-do me!
 
Wish me luck. I have PT today again. I wish I were more enthused about it. My incision is still irritated. I am able to walk unaided around the house this past week. I do have pain but not too bad. I can sleep on my right or left side which is great. I think I will get off the couch and back into my bed soon. My foot is still achy at times. Maybe today I will wear my sandals and see how that works out.

Hope you are all healing and doing well!!!
 
Maybe tell the pt to either not do the massage or ease up since your incision area is sensitive. is it the surface or underlying areas?
 
@martyz4 If it is irritating have her stop rubbing around the incision, it should help the rest of the thigh muscle though. I can't remember if anyone told you to buy new shoes? Your old shoes are worn to your old way of walking, so they can cause foot pain.
 
:ice:@martyz4
Reading your post about the staple remover. My 41 staples were removed this morning 14 days post-op & thankfully without any pain or discomfort. I'm an inpatient in a rehab facility that specialises in post knee & hip surgery, so the nurses here are removing clips, or sutures 3-4 patients every day, so I think that level of experience helps with parting comfort.
Still ting leg gets swollen & very stiff after sitting at the table at meal time and immediately need to return to bed to ice, elevate. & rest for about 30 minutes before the leg eases out. I am 14 days post-op today and do see progress .

The lesson I'm learning, is that although the brain/mind wants to do more; it is the knee who is in command and must be obeyed.
Take care
 
I am 31 days post op and coming along. Just being able to lay on either side is a biggie for me. My feet have problems of their own. Buying new shoes--buy new ones every time I see something comfy. My Nikes are hardly worn so pretty sure that isn't the problem. My foot itself is still bruised, both the top and around the ankle and it is the only one that has pain. I really think it's just time that will heal.

Today in PT she massaged my incision and the manipulated my leg. Pushed it up for a count of 10 3 times. Then she pushed it down straight for a count of 10 3 times. THAT HURT! I told her she needed to count faster. After that I went on the total gym and did some pushing, not bad, didn't hurt. Still can't go all the way around on the bike, something I am looking froward to.

Thanks again for you feedback, it's appreciated.:puppysmooze: This is definitely our newest pup, loves everyone!!
 
@martyz4 If the knee swells after she pushes on it don't let her do it. You can't improve your ROM with a swollen knee.
What kind of puppy?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom