Guest viewing is limited

June 2012 - Are You Having Knee Surgery In June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time is getting close for me. Only a week and 3 days. My son is graduating on June 1st and my yougest son( 16years old) plays travel baseball and between these 2 things, they have kinda been keeping my mind off of it some, but I do think about it. I am kinda looking forward to it and kinda not. Excited and nervous also.

Let me tell you just a little about myself. I am married for 22 years and have a 18 year old, who is gradutating high school, and a 16 year old who wrestles for the high school and plays travel baseball. I am always there and I used to play softball and was catcher for about 4 years. Killer on the knees. When it came the following year to play, I decided to play another postion and it was much better on the knees. Bad knee problems also run in the family.
 
I updated the June list and changed you to the 23rd. My calendar shows that is a Saturday. Does your OS do surgeries on Saturday usually?

Yep - definitely a Saturday - whether that's the norm or not I really wouldn't know - had to read the letter 3 times as I thought it was strange- they do actually quote the day of the week - so it can't be a misprint (I hope!).

Coniglietta - I'm in a similar position to you. My surgeon said the not operated leg will probably get a bit worse due to the weight compensation - but I'm hoping the extra painkillers I'm getting will help on that front! I think we need to take the long term view on this. So I will just hope for the best - there is light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Oh well at least the meds will help to lessen the pain in the dodgy knee lol. Funny enough I have a friend that had her left TKR in Dec last year. She stopped the meds as she felt great, her knee is amazing and so is she but she had to start taking the meds again as her other knee was letting her down so much. She is going to have her right knee replaced end of this year so like me and all of us she will be bionic too.
The way I look at it is that by Christmas both my knees will have been replaced and although I dont like to wish my life away, I am looking forward to the end of the year for this reason.
Best wishes to all,
Viv x
 
When I had my left TKR in 2005, my leg below the knee was at a 30degree angle to the knee. Could not put knees and ankles together at same time. Never thought I' d have to have the right done. No problems 'til Nov 2011, then it went bad really fast. Completely different from the left, so I'm hoping less tissue damage= less post op pain. Nerves starting to kick in now that surgery is less than 2 weeks out. Wishing everyone problem free recoveries.
 
I, too, fell like all is happening too fast. A simple knee tweak and a year ago and so many treatments later I have necrosis in my knee. Surgery Friday and I am getting much strength from this group.
 
Put me down for June 27th for left knee. Hoping to do right knee in three months. Does that sound reasonable? I will have to be on blood thinner for three months since I have this protein S deficiency. Anyone know how long I have to be OFF the thinner before having second knee done. -- Sherry
 
Hi Bassplayer - I got postponed too. It's frustrating. At least I got two week's notice. At a day before I'd be reeling... So here's to our new countdown!
 
Hello Sage and welcome to the forum. We are happy you have joined us. Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a blue oblong with "New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a dialogue box. You determine a title and then proceed to tell us a little about yourself.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can find you to post to.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread.
 
OK...surgery tomorrow, June 1. I will leave home around 5:15 to be at the hospital by 6 a.m. as requested. I am still freaked even though I have educated myself extensively.

My question to you all is what do I absolutely need to pack for the hospital? So far, I have my toothbrush and two pair of underwear and a pair of loose pants.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and the wisdom within.:tantrum2:
 
OK...surgery tomorrow, June 1. I will leave home around 5:15 to be at the hospital by 6 a.m. as requested. I am still freaked even though I have educated myself extensively.

My question to you all is what do I absolutely need to pack for the hospital? So far, I have my toothbrush and two pair of underwear and a pair of loose pants.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and the wisdom within.:tantrum2:

Hey Katheryn,
Hang in there! You're going to be fine!!! Here's a list of stuff to bring from the library:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/must-have-down-loadable-list-for-pre-post-surgery-t7529.html

I know how you feel, it's hard to face the unknown. But you can take comfort in the fact that TKRs today are routine surgery. Also, they will certainly give you meds to relax you before the operation so you'll be calm and maybe a bit woozy. Good luck and see you on the other side!
 
Im having double total knee replacements on wed. June 6th and Im soooo scared

Hi, I am scheduled for the day after you! Try not to panic. Many here have had a successful BTKR and you can read their threads on the post-op forum. If you haven't already, why don't you start your own thread - that way everyone will see your posts and you'll get a lot of support.
 
I had my final pre-op at OS. Haven't been able to sleep through the night since I'm officially off Alleve. Extra strength tylenol might as well be a a gumball for all the good it does. OS does not want me on any pain meds pre surgery, so prescribed sleeping pills. Woke this morning feeling like 9 miles of bad road from ambien.
I guess I'm a little wary of a surgeon who stints on pain meds. I understand the rational, but still worry about post op, especially since the hospital called wanting to know if I was interested in aroma therapy, music therapy, or reiki!
These are on offer for pain management. I got back from Woodstock in 1969 ;0 When someone with a bonesaw is going to work on me, I want real drugs?!?!? Kumbaya with a side of patchouli just isn't going to cut it. Am I nuts?
 
Hi, I have been looking at this site since knee surgery was advised by my OS. I finally decided it was time. Another person on the Drs calendar canceled so luck me got put on for June 13. Very quick, do not even have time to really think about it. I have to prepare myself and my home for recovery. So I will be a 'June Sunbeam'. Best wishes, and a speedy recovery to us all!
 
I had my final pre-op at OS. Haven't been able to sleep through the night since I'm officially off Alleve. Extra strength tylenol might as well be a a gumball for all the good it does. OS does not want me on any pain meds pre surgery, so prescribed sleeping pills. Woke this morning feeling like 9 miles of bad road from ambien.
I guess I'm a little wary of a surgeon who stints on pain meds. I understand the rational, but still worry about post op, especially since the hospital called wanting to know if I was interested in aroma therapy, music therapy, or reiki!
These are on offer for pain management. I got back from Woodstock in 1969 ;0 When someone with a bonesaw is going to work on me, I want real drugs?!?!? Kumbaya with a side of patchouli just isn't going to cut it. Am I nuts?

Soooooo funny lol. :cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom