Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR June 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't know what to expect with this surgery.

So very sorry to hear about your knee, limpy!

When I first had my surgery, on my very first post op x-ray, my OS thought he saw something, like the bone or cement dissolving and immediately put me on crutches, non weight bearing.

Then did blood tests, looked for any infections, etc; all of which showed nothing out of the normal. He left me on crutches though, and after a month, we did another x-ray and everything was fine, looked perfect.

But I had a few worried days and nights. Prior to the surgery, I had blood tests which showed a high allergic/sensitivity to bone cement; so I was very glad to hear and see that my knee was fine.

Can't imagine what you are going through but I hope that everything turns out well for you too!
:friends:
 
I would make an appt. to see my OS doctor to see what he thinks. Will PT approve more PT? Bending can hamper mobility for certain.
 
@chestnc, I did see my OS in December. He didn't do my first TKR, but he did do my hip last June. He does do revisions.
 
@limpy7, I guess OS at that time did not see need for further intervention or to order more PT? And I wonder will PT approve PT at this stage of the game since they are so fussy (insurance company)?
 
I don't think more PT is what is needed at this point. Do you have any allergies? Is there a possibility you could be allergic to the bone cement that was used in your first tkr? It is rare, but there are some, very few, that are allergic to the bone cement used. Maybe you need tested before your revision?
 
Oh my a revision.. Boy oh boy if it is one thing it's another. My prayers are with you.
 
Suggestion: Go to your favorite medical supply store - ask them for a "sock putter oner" (forget what it is really called. =)

***If my question was about the integrity of the bone cement that was used, I would get tested BEFORE going through the pain and work of a revision. I would want to know EXACTLY why the bone cement doesnt "look good". Dont let the doctors use you to experiment on!! I would want to know what was going on BEFORE any more surgery takes place. >>>>>See the website: www.orthopedicanalysis.com <<<<<<<<<!!! Get more info about the bone cement BEFORE the surgery. Its YOUR knee that is going to be: cut open, sawed, and glued back together.

In the meantime....get working on that paperwork for your disability placard! Thats what those handicapped parking places are for! A friend had to give me a "kick in the butt" too - you dont need to feel ashamed of needing more space to park - thats what handicapped parking is for. I dont know where you are located in The USofA, but Ohio's BMV was pretty fast at processing once I got my paperwork turned in. That closer, bigger handicapped parking spot is a real blessing when I need to go to the grocery store. For me its just temporary, but right now I need it. Get your paperwork done - that was why the Doc gave it to you. And it will help you in your travels.....

For this revision, you know a lot more about what to expect this time. Please DONT go to the same aggressive PT- its not worth it. PTs are too controlled by ROM; I havent met a PT yet that has had a TKR themselves. You know how the BoneSmarties feel about aggressive PT. There is NO sense in undoing all the good work your surgeon has done. Dont be afraid to stand up for yourself. If you read my thread, you'll see that I "fired" my PTs after I had been home a month. I asked the BoneSmarties for some exercises (see the Library - those IT Band exercises are a lifesaver)- I combined those with some easy yoga poses that I looked up - at home, I have: stretchy bands, weights, stairs, stationary bike - I do my therapy at home myself every day. I know how far to push myself safely. I dont need somebody to watch me exercise while they are standing around gossiping about the latest fashion trends. Now you know the exercise routine - do the exercises at home yourself.

Look in the BoneSmarties' Library at the articles: "Revisions: What makes them necessary?", "ROM: It's Worth The Wait For ROM", ROM: It's Never Too Late To Get More ROM!", and ROM (Range Of Motion) Information".

Remember your goal: A surgically, modified, HEALTHY knee!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should read Bonnie's thread---I will tag her so that she can talk to you @RunA42K

Need to start getting ready for work, but if you start looking over my thread you'll see that I have gone through a lot of the same as you. I had the revision 9 weeks ago and have been wonderful ever since! Don't be afraid. If you read some of my thread and have any questions I'll be happy to answer any and all. I'll be back later...
Take care, hang in there...you CAN get your life back again.
 
Limpy7
I'm so sorry to hear about you having to have a revision. That's why I posted las time to let you know how mine has gone! You asked for someone to tell you how they went no holding back! Well I have just had my third replacement on my right knee six weeks ago. My original knee replacement was in July 2010 and then after no rom past 90 degrees and a bend that looked rediculous every time I walked and like you stairs one by one both up and down I saw my surgeon again(this was 12 months post op) he decided that I needed a revision, I like you don't remember much about the conversation as I was in shock but thought if I could have a straight leg and a lot less pain(as I've been on strong drugs since 2010 with pain) I would give anything a go. I then had the revision in August 2011. Oh my God!!!!! The pain was horrendous(you wanted honesty) although yours may not be like mine and I hope to god that it is not! I then after two years of doing my exercises and working etc, spending every night after working all day in agony and no life as on weekends I would have to rest with my leg up to relieve the pain and swelling I decided at my OS recommendation along with a group of other O Surgeons(we had a big meeting to decide what was best for me) decided to go in again and do another revision! I was in shock but relieved that they were doing something, the only other options were to fuse my knee which would make it even more difficult to get about and no promise of no pain or to amputate(yes amputate) and if this would get rid of my pain I would have done it! As I'm sure you would understand, although this to does not mean no pain:(
So six weeks ago I had the revision, apparently I had masses of scar tissue wrapped around the prosthesis and took a lot of work to get it all out, although my OS is worried it will come back ten fold. Apparently I produce to much scar tissue too quickly, it's rare but does happen and this is what I'm wondering is happening to you to? My pain is a lot better this time around, I do however have a lot of pain but compared to the last two it's better. My rom is still at 90 degrees, my OS however is happy so far with this, he advised less movement after surgery this time around and had me wear a brace(full leg) every night for six weeks to keep my leg straight. So far it seems to have worked, fingers crossed. I did however go into work after my drs appt the other day and found this debilitating for the following two days, although I didn't do much except say hi to people. I had to laugh when I read that you find it difficult to get out of the car(and in sometimes) when parking as I find this to be a pain in the butt!! I have a disabled sticker but feel guilty for using it most of the time as people look at me as if nothing is wrong(I'm only 48) and I feel someone in a wheelchair may need it more. Though when I can't get out or in my car then I think I should've and shouldn't feel guilty! I really hope this has at least given you an honest look at my situation and I hope that yours goes a lot smoother as I'm sure it will:) my surgeon has this scared look on his face every time I see him, I'm sure I'm his worst nightmare! Good luck Limpy7 x
 
I too suffered much scar tissue, and continue to have synovitis and stiffness. So far I've opted not to revise.

My ortho said when he goes to conferences, just the mention of scar tissue sends doctors running away. It's hard for them to deal with, as there are so few treatment options, and not knowing why it occurs.
 
I appreciate your honesty. When I was recovering from my RTKR I used to say that I wished someone had just told me I would pray to die. Then it wouldn't have come as such a shock. I do think I make too much scar tissue, but in my gut I always felt that the physical therapy was way too aggressive. Oh dear, oh dear. My doctor said it will be 3 months before I will be well enough to go back to my teaching job. That would mean I won't be able to start the school year in September. At this point, and with the stresses of teaching, I just don't care. In fact, I have chuckled that the only relief from my job will be when they knock me out for the surgery. :happydance:
 
I will just say one thing here--my OS hammered to me that if you have adhesions and then exercise on a hot, inflamed knee, more adhesions will form. He told me no pt at all for 3 weeks. And, then for eight weeks, I did no weight bearing exercises---just leg lifts, heel slides, clam shells. At 8 weeks when all the swelling was gone I began to work on strengthening the leg. If it got hot, I went home---no aggressive pt at all. At the end---i do still hear some scar tissue, but my knee cap is not scarred down and my rom is 145.
 
I have been lucky there---I am very limber, have always been able to put my hands flat on the floor---even now when I am going to be 70 in a few months. Went to yoga yesterday and could still put my hands flat on the floor.
 
oh, by the way, i love your corgis!!! I had one, Griffin, then Bennie and Charlie. Griffin and Charlie both died of cancer---I think the dog food industry is putting out terrible food for our animals.

We have Bennie right now--he is one half Golden Retriever and one half Corgi.

[Bonesmart.org] June 17
 
I sure do love my corgis. They are 13 and 14 years old. One can barely hear. Sometimes when I get her up in the morning she is sleeping so soundly I don't know if she is alive. I stand over her and wait until I can see her breathing. They are certainly funny and entertaining dogs. Your puppy Bennie is precious.
 
@limpy7
Sorry to hear you did not get the bend you need .
I am supposed to be thrilled with 90 rom .i am not !
I hit month number 5 since my operation.
 
Not too much longer now. My primary physician has cleared me for surgery, and I saw the OS today for my pre op appt. He said he will remove all the parts of the implant except probably what is under my knee cap. It will be interesting to find out what he finds during the surgery. Today I had a series of x-rays from my hips to my feet to look at the alignment. I don't know what the findings were. He did mention again that he didn't like the looks of the cement on the bottom part of the implant. So, June 17th I need to be at the hospital at 8:30. The great news is that the new hip he gave me a year ago is fabulous. I rarely notice it. I teach school, and today was the last day. Hooray! It was the hardest year in my career. I'm curious to see if I will be ready to start again at the end of August.
 
I sure hope this revison does the trick, however, I would not allow any aggressive therapy after a revison. My OS hammered it into me that if I exercised on an inflamed, swollen knee it would make the scar tissue grow back faster--so I did nothing for 3 weeks, and then only table exercises like leg lifts, clam shells and quad sets. I began to work a little more on week 4, but gently, gently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom