Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR June 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
My two week checkup was fine, but I have hives all over my legs and it is miserable. It looks like it is most likely a reaction to Oxycodone. So, I'm not taking any pain medication. It's the only way to figure out if it's the culprit. I have no idea what can be used in place of it.
 
Glad you had a good check up, sorry about the hives. I hope they can find a pain medication for you.
Can you use Ice ?
 
Are you taking any other meds that could be the culprit? Or is the rash typical for an oxycodone allergy? It seems like there must be an alternate pain med that they use as a standby for people with this allergy that they could have given you before you left the office or at least an antihistamine or steroid or something to help with the rash. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this pain without much help!
 
https://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Cita...ing_opioids_safely_in_patients_with_an.3.aspx I can only imagine the pain you are without a proper pain medication. I found this article that talks about the difference between a pseudo allergy and a true allergy. At the very least, it should be able to give you an idea of the questions to ask your doctor so that they are working to relieve your pain and not just leaving you in a painful limbo. If you are too much pain, have someone else read it and explain it to you. You do not have to be left miserable! Good luck!
 
I know a dermatologist and I sent her pictures. She said it is more than likely from narcotics or antibiotics. She said a response can still show up 14 days after stopping the meds. I suppose it could be either one, however I took oxycodone yesterday morning and she warned that if it was the culprit that the hives would continue to spread. I did begin to get them on my hands and the tops of my feet. That's why I think it's oxycodone. I'm just not going to take it and see what happens. It's a good time to do it as the physical therapist won't be here again for three days.
 
Just wanted to check in with you and see how your day is going. Have you talked to your doctor about using a different pain killer?
 
@H2OPoloMom I'm holding up and doing absolutely nothing. I haven't asked for a different medication until I figure out what it is that I'm reacting to. If I add anything else I might make this harder to figure out. I haven't had pain medication since Thursday morning. I'm still really itchy. I tried to get an appt. with my regular doctor but she is out of town. I do have an appt. with a doctor in her clinic on Monday afternoon.
 
Glad you are getting into see someone, hope they can help you on tomorrow. I admire you being able to tolerate the pain with out medication.
 
I'm still really itchy

I am the poster child for allergies so I sympathize. I've lasted all of 4 minutes receiving antibiotics via IV before breaking out in severe itching and rash. Do ask for something like a topical cream for the itching if you don't want a pill. Of course, if it is all over the body itching, that suggestion may not be so helpful.

First thing the drs. give me is Benadryl via the IV before they take the IV tubing out and replace it. If no IV, I get OTC (over the counter) Benadryl which takes longer to act but does help. Or if I have severe itching and I'm on my own, I keep the OTC Benadryl pump spray in my medicine cabinet.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
 
@1ELISEA I am taking Benedryl and also a double dose of Zyrtec as recommended by a dermatologist. I also have a prescription cortisone cream. I can't begin to imagine what this would be like if I didn't have any of these.
 
I'm glad you are at least getting some relief from the itching; I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow!
 
@limpy7
Yeah, know how that is; too bad you can't get an IV of benadryl; soooo much better.

The other thing I use are the sprays; some at the drugstore are OTC super cold type lidocaine sprays that give some relief; like for a sunburn. I've even tried bathing and making pastes of various ingredients; sometimes they work sometimes not.

Itching is better than some of the other side effects (throat swelling, dizziness) if that makes you feel any better.....:friends:
 
I have allergies to fragrances and parabins. I have to use soap and lotions without and have found oatmeal products very soothing for the itching. They even sell oatmeal packets for the bath. A natural foods store or good pharmacy should have these products. Hope you find some relief.
 
I'm thinking about my appt. tomorrow with the family physician. Even if he will prescribe prednisone, I still won't know what I'm reacting to. I would need to see an allergist to sort this out, wouldn't I? I'm probably a bit more concerned than most people would be because I've had anaphylaxis before. We have no idea what caused it.
 
I saw the doctor and I am going to try some Prednisone. Next week I will go to an allergist and get tested. This will be interesting. My doctor also authorized 2 more weeks of the visiting nurse and PT. That will be a total of 1 month. I'm pooped.
 
I hope you get some good sleep tonight and that the prednisone kicks in sooner rather than later!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom