THR Jump start on recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Jaycey. I am doing fine today, was just feeling jittery last night. I'm able to get around well as long as I have my walker. Just not used to having a leg that can't completely support me yet. :ok:
 
You are stronger than you think, a wonderful supporter but yup use phone if needed

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Day 17 (catchup): I'm now officially at that point in my recovery where I am restless and bored. None of the homebound activities or hobbies I have available appeal to me in the least. I've watched more t.v. the past two weeks than I have all the previous year put together. In fact, my marathon watching of Property Brothers today has apparently fried my t.v. as it went caput this evening.

I would love to be outside working in my yard and cleaning up flowerbeds in this mild (and finally non rainy) weather .. but can't .. boo hoo! There are so many slick leaves all over yard that I don't dare using my walker in those areas.

I know the cabin fever has set in when I'm looking forward to going to have labs done in the a.m. Grin!

[Bonesmart.org] Jump start on recovery thread.


When bored I even resort to taking a hospital water pitcher, coat hanger and tape and making a red neck version of a cup holder for my walker. Yep, its time to get out some. :rofsign:

Kristi
 
Oh yes those four walls and the TV. The diff would get in from work and say OK what have you done now. I wld say how, what. She would say TV is off........

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Day 20: Have spent the better part of the past three days running errands with hubbie and friends followed by long afternoon naps LOL.

I can tell the hip is getting stronger but still not able to put much weight on it while walking unless I use the walker .. not painful, just weak.

Monday will be 3 weeks and I'm down 6.5 lbs. :yes!: Not bad for mostly sitting on my butt.

Kristi
 
Wow Kristi! I am envious of your weight loss! I am remaining stable in that area, which with the reduced activity, I guess is better than the alternative!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Day 20: Have spent the better part of the past three days running errands with hubbie and friends followed by long afternoon naps LOL.

I can tell the hip is getting stronger but still not able to put much weight on it while walking unless I use the walker .. not painful, just weak.

Monday will be 3 weeks and I'm down 6.5 lbs. :yes!: Not bad for mostly sitting on my butt.

Kristi

I was shocked that I had lost a few because all I have been doing since surgery is eating everything in site with no stone left unturned. Feeding the new hip I guess.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Healing takes tons of energy. Then there is becoming more mobile. This can often result in weight loss. Enjoy!
 
Wow Kristi! I am envious of your weight loss! I am remaining stable in that area, which with the reduced activity, I guess is better than the alternative!

Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR

I understand. I was worried about weight gain after surgery but my appetite decreased and weight is just going away. I'm still eating well and healthy, just not as much. I agree @Jaycey that calories are probably going toward healing and as long as they are "going", I'm good LOL!
 
Day 22: Phew! The last few days have been busy. Yesterday I did quite a bit of cleaning around house as was expecting company again. Today was another doctor appt. and used walker to mosey around Kohl's for an hour (my exercise for the day).

Today I have been having random pains in my groin along with stiffness upon standing. I have been sitting more rather than reclining and I do believe the hip is telling me to take some down time and slab out on the couch.:chillpill:
 
Day 23: Took today as a rest day, lounging on sofa and reading so now hip is much happier.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I thought I would start my own (somewhat tongue in cheek version) list of things I'm thankful for in regards to this surgery (in no particular order except #1):

1. No more joint pain in op hip
2. A hubbie willing to clip MY toenails
3. Showering without covering up hip with plastic wrap
4. A neighbour who somehow knows I'm doing good to get out of bed,
much less fix breakfast
5. Stowing away the leg lifter
6. Raised toilet seats
7. Miralax :heehee:
8. No more compression stockings
9. Sleeping on my side
10. Reclining seat, "oh ****" bar and gel cushion in car
11. Shower benches
12. As of today, graduating from a walker to a cane for short distances
13. Friends willing to drive me somewhere "just to get out"
14. Long handled sponges and razors
15. Anyone willing to take over housecleaning or cooking duties

I'm sure I could come up with lots more but the old Kindle battery is almost dead for now.

Kristi
 
@kktoland I enjoyed your thankful list. I too am trying to be mindful of all the many little things that mean so much. This time of year with Thanksgiving approaching is a great time to focus on all the many blessings we have been given, not the least of which is our new hips! :yes!:
 
Day 25: Went for a fairly short walk around my flower beds today using a cane only. My poor quads LOL!

More for the thankful list:

16. Electric carts with a full charge
17. People kind enough to hold elevators or open doors
18. Upper body strength
19. Slip on shoes
20. HGTV and Food Network
21. Good night's sleep
22. Handicapped parking spaces
23. Being able to get up off couch in one attempt
24. Walker seat (for transporting dinner plate or resting a tired butt)
25. Cup holder on walker
26. Extendable back (or foot) scratcher
27. Long handled teacher
28. Golfers reach (for when I drop the reacher)
29. Afternoon naps
30. LOTS of pillows
 
One month update: Overall doing very well. Haven't taken any pain meds in over two weeks, including OTC meds. I still get tired and legs/back ache if I walk a lot with the cane but so far I'm able to ignore it, switch to the walker or just rest for a while. :bored:

I had a posterior hip procedure and the muscles are still rather weak but getting stronger daily. Looking forward to not needing any walking aids. :loveshwr:

My other hip still kicks up a bit of a fuss, especially when I sleep on that side or sitting down. Using a walker has really helped take the pressure off it also when walking. It will be interesting to see updated x-rays on that one in a few weeks. If it crashes as quickly as the first one, I hope to have it done before end of year. That way, I'll be good to go for next spring's gardening season. :beg:
 
Hi @kktoland Congratulations on a great recovery.I love your thankful list and there are so many things in that list I can identify with.I also had a posterior 7 weeks ago so just a week or two before you.This is my second THR as I had the right way one done in 2013? I have just started to sleep on my side but too sore on the operated side so I lie on the other side with a pillow between the legs but I actually prefer it on my back now which seems strange as for the first 6 weeks I longed to be able on my side.
My muscles are also weak but my OS doesn't want me to have physio or do exercises for three months as he says people do just as well with just walking after a hip replacement.I am also looking forward to walking without aids but for now I still need a cane.When will you be having those all important xrays?
 
@kktoland, I'm so glad your recovery is going so well! Here's hoping that the timing for your other hip turns out just the way you want it. :)
I love your Thankful List and found myself nodding in agreement. Let's hear it for NAPS! :yay:
 
5 week update: Right THR is doing wonderful! :yes!: Last week I was worried about how weak my hip muscles felt and today I can walk fairly well without a cane for a short distance (just a slight hitch in my get-a-long). As a matter of fact, I was talking to a friend on the phone a couple of days ago and went into the other room completely forgetting my cane :tada:. Today I walked about 1/2 mile (some of it uphill) using the cane just for light support and had no problems at all. I still get the occasional catch or groin pain especially when I first stand up but overall I'm very happy with my new hip! :roseshwr:

@Kim22 and @DeepBreath, I see my OS tomorrow for x-rays on my left hip. It is the one giving me more problems with walking now that it has done it's duty of mainly supporting me while the right side recovered. :groan:The left side had just under 3 mm of joint space left at the end of May (from 5 mm last summer). It will be interesting to see what is left tomorrow. The right side went from 3 mm in May to 1.9 (I think) mm in October. We shall see! :scaredycat:

Kristi
 
Yaay about walking without the cane without even really thinking about it. It sounds like you're doing great!
It will be interesting to see what the x-rays reveal.
Keep up the good work. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom