THR Jump start on recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 9: Last night was rough. Finally dawned on me that my night time headaches were from the percocet. Lowering the dosage solved that but also made getting comfortable that much more difficult. On blood thinners so can't take NSAIDS and was told not to take tylenol right now.

Couldn't seem to find a comfortable position on couch today either which made for a long, tiring day. Hopefully the staples coming out Thursday will improve that situation.

Used walker to mosey around the house tidying up just a bit .. throwing away junk mail etc.

Hopefully being so tired will mean I sleep better tonight.
 
My couch was my best friend and my nemesis. Its a tad like camping. No matter how well you check the ground you missed a boulder that just happens to be right between shoulders. It does get better and fact you are getting up and having a wee mosey around says its geting that way. Take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My couch was my best friend and my nemesis.

I agree @Legin. It was nice to get out of bedroom for most of the day but couch is just not as comfortable as my memory foam mattress:sleeep:. I stacked cushions, added pillows etc. but was only tolerable.

I try to "mosey around a bit" so that I don't feel completely like a slug. :walking:
 
Day 10: Hubbie pulled out my old body pillow and managed to get my leg situated so that I slept well all night. Woke up really wanting a shower and hair wash so took care of that and went back to bed to read a bit .. was only 7:30 a.m. at this point. Despite a couple of phone calls, managed to doze off continuously until 2 p.m. :sleep:. I do think I caught up on sleep a bit. GRIN!

Tomorrow is the big day .. staples come out!! Woohoo!!
 
Chortle, well done on the getting sleep I'm sure you will catch up on sleep some year soon. Its amazing how we suddenly feel grimey and stop the world I need to cleanse. Keep on moseying lass its amazing how it suddenly becomes a wee dander.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
So happy (and envious) of you getting some much needed sleep! Maybe I need to get a body pillow!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Day 11: Hi @Just4mules! Today turned out great! I was a little worried because I woke up aching everywhere. Maybe the result of lying in bed so long yesterday. And yes. The body pillow is great. It is long enough to fit up under my tush and cushion the entire leg. I use the wedge from hospital on one side and a heavy pillow on the other to hold leg in position. Lots of stores carry them and they even have Sherpa type covers for them. :sleep: I also take melatonin at night so you could try that. Hope you get some good results soon!

Anyhow, dressed in street clothes (first time out of jammies since the 19th :heehee:) and headed to the OS office. Since I woke up hurting, I took one pain pill before I left and another about an hour later. First two staples stung because that area was a little irritated but the other 26 came out fairly easily. Xrays show everything is looking good and I now have permission to "slowly" increase WB over the next 5 weeks which is when I return to see the OS.

After the OS, hubbie and I went to walmart for groceries. Let's just say I didn't come close to running over anything or anyone but I was definatly feeling the effects of the pain meds while operating the electric cart. :rofsign:

Later, we came home and I took a much needed nap before going with hubbie and child for their doctor appts and dinner afterwards.

It is amazing how much less pain I have without those darn staples. :yes!: My tush aches from sitting more upright today (vs. Reclining on couch) but a lot of the burning pain is gone. Next goal, in two more weeks, is to get rid of the compression stockings. :egypdance:

Kristi
 
Wow! It sounds like you had quite a positive day! Happy for you that the staples being removed seems to have helped you. I bet you are exhausted after such a big day- rest and sleep!


Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Another awesome report. Great job. My wife veto'd the grocery store/bank/post office trip with my driver. I guess I'm stuck at home for now. You and @Just4mules both had two week follow ups. Mine is three weeks. No problem. I can wait. Great report though. Take care.

Pete


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 12: I'm turning into such a slug! :alarm: My sweet neighbor brought me over a breakfast biscuit this a.m. while I was still in bed (about 8 a.m.). I FINALLY woke up around noon to eat it. :heehee: Hubbie and I are both night owls and with daughter at school, the house is so quiet. I'm normally up by at least 9 a.m. LOL.

After "brunch", sat on the back deck and soaked up the rays from one of the first really sunny days we've had in a while.

This afternoon, had visits from several good friends and amazed them at how fast I can get around with my rollator. Putting most of my weight on arms instead of op leg and still gliding along. :egypdance:

Having some redness and slight warmth in couple of places around incision for past few days. No drainage, pain or fever though and OS didn't seem concerned. Chalking it up to irritation from staples when I shifted around on couch etc.

In the past 24 hrs have only needed 1 - 5 mg oxycodone when the burning occurred in front of thigh. Overall feeling great considering the major rearrangedone only 12 days ago.
 
My wife veto'd the grocery store/bank/post office trip with my driver. I guess I'm stuck at home for now. You and @Just4mules both had two week follow ups. Mine is three weeks. No problem. I can wait.

@slapstep , hubbie didn't want to take me grocery shopping but I was so exhilarated to have the staples out that there was no stopping me LOL!

The week of waiting will pass quickly. After all, you have all of us here on BS to keep you entertained! :rofsign:

Kristi
 
Day 13: Pretty much more of the same .. grin. Sleep, tidy up a bit and read a lot.

Am trying to put a little more weight on the op hip. Feels strange, not really painful but odd. Both hips were aching today from walking more than usual. I was recalling how difficult it was to move my lead butt and log leg almost two weeks ago. There really had been a vast improvement from the 19th in how easily I can move.

Sleeping is good some nights and not so much others. Still waking up once or twice with burning thigh or just having to shift position. Have to sleep with pillow under op hip and thigh, otherwise it feels like there is some torque of some kind in the acetabulum. Three of my silly cats also seem to think the only place to sleep is around my legs. Trying to dislodge cats, pillows, blankets etc to get up in the middle of the night is challanging. :kitty:

Kristi
 
Day 14: I'm going to be a naughty girl and take off my graduated compression knee highs for the night. OS wanted me to wear them for three weeks but it has been two, I'm taking Xarelto and have had no swelling to date. My feet can breathe! :roseshwr: If I notice any a.m. Swelling I'll resume wearing them. :bawl:

Did a bit more housework today. Noticed a slight backache after being on my feet a while. My pelvis was slightly tilted prior to surgery due to the hip and a laterally tilted sacrum. I'm sure the muscles will have to adjust to the new hip and things being aligned better.

Did my weigh in a day early .. during the past two weeks I have lost 5 lbs. Hopefully I can keep up the momentum and motivation. I still have one more hip to go and would like to start next year's gardening season off right.

Woke up this a.m. with the thigh burning again. Instead of reaching for the oxy, I got up and walked a few minutes while massaging that area. Worked like a charm. :yes!: It has now been 24 hrs since I last took a pain pill of any kind. As I put more weight on this hip, I may have to resume them but I'm glad for the break for now .. oxy makes my eyes feel wobbly! :flabber:
 
Day 15: Had a good friend visit today and it reminded me of my knee replacement two years ago. At that time, another friend came to hospital to visit and I thought he was there about 30 minutes. My friend staying with me said "no, he was here for a couple hours". This time, the friend who visited today mentioned that the third day he called I seemed much clearer and didn't slur my speech as much. THIRD time, I said, I barely remember one call. Just goes to show that apparently pain meds mess with my memory in a big way. :nah:

On another note, does anyone know why we are not supposed to sleep on our non op side until four weeks? I forgot to ask at my appt last week.

Managing g to do a little more each day but still having the occasional energy drain moments. All in all though, can't complain.

Kristi
 
does anyone know why we are not supposed to sleep on our non op side until four weeks?
For many it's longer than 4 weeks. This restriction is to prevent crossing the midline in your sleep. If you lie on your non-op side there is a chance that your top leg (op side) could fall forward to the bed. This will mean you crossed your mid line. Many people get around this restriction by sleeping with a pillow between their legs so that leg can't fall forward. I'm not suggesting you don't follow your restrictions but I know how hard it can be to get used to sleeping on your back.
 
Thanks @Jaycey. I emailed my OS and he said is now okay to sleep on non op side with pillow between legs. Was the best sleep I've had in weeks!
 
Day 16: (catch up) Today was the first time I have been able to shower without worrying about my balance. My op leg is feeling stronger every day.

I can stand and use right leg for balance but still not able to step forward on it without support. I get around amazingly well with my walker or even holding a shopping cart for a brief time but tire easily. Inquired of OS where he wants me to be at 7 weeks because I wasn't quite sure what he meant as far as "progressive WB" goes. Didn't know if should be using cane or nothing for support at 7 wks. He responded I would still need a cane. Makes sense because of the muscle cutting.

Went to art class with daughter. Took my wheelchair because they have those really low, armless plastic chairs there and I knew there was no way I'd manage those. Felt like the elephant in the china shop with my big ole chair. They kept me parked at a table and the instructor fetched whatever I needed LOL!

Tomorrow my hubbie will be gone until mid afternoon, daughter at school and best friend/neighbour out of town. Feeling a bit apprehensive at being on my own for the first time after surgery. Will just have to keep cell phone with me at all times and be extra cautious. Not used to feeling so vulnerable. Don't like it one bit! :nah:
 
Feeling a bit apprehensive at being on my own for the first time after surgery.
I was alone most of the time following my THRs. Keep that cell phone near you. Call a friend if you are worried at all. Ask hubby or a friend to help you ensure things are within reach for you while you are on your own. Sounds like you are already getting out and about. That leg is getting stronger. You'll be fine!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom