Guest viewing is limited

THR July Hip Replacement - When will I ski again?<

I'm going to ask you some extra questions so I can weigh in on this

What's TWA?
What kind of job do you do?
How many hours (including overtime) do you do?
How far do you have to commute to your job?

Here's the hip stuff

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
In response to your questions:
What's TWA? Transitional Work Arrangement

What kind of job do you do?
I am an underwriter for CIGNA Global Insurance. Lots of spreadsheets, scemal phone calls meetings etc.

How many hours (including overtime) do you do?
I started with 4 hr days 8/23, then increased to 5 hr days on 9/4, 6 hr days 9/10, 7 hr days 9/17 and should be full time 8 hr days next week 9/24. If I wasn’t in recovery I’d be working 10-12 hr days in busy season August -October.

How far do you have to commute to your job?
It’s 25 min. from home. However I have a 2 hr commute on T&Th because I drive my daughter to school 60 min away in a westerly direction then travel anoth 45-60 min. South to get to work.

Here's the hip stuff

1. Anterior

2. I involuntarily stretched my leg this morning as I awoke, causing more pain to my groin muscle.

3. I am taking
Tylenol Arthritis 8 hour 1300 mg. 3x per day,
Naproxen 500 mg 2xper day
Aspirin 81 mg 2x per day for pain & swelling

4. Yes, All the time have a gel pack and water bottle frozen anytime I’m not in the shower etc.

5. elevating: Yes most of the time when sitting & when in bed.

6. If I have energy I cook meals or do dishes. I run errands & go grocery shopping weekly. Read my story on Bonesmart for details.

7. Not anything consistently. Just walking, heel pumps & stairs a few times each day. I tried to do some that the PT gave me but was always in pain the next day so stopped.

Walk 3 Laps forward & 3 laps backwards
stand on one foot for 30 second each leg
Walk 3 laps side stepping
2 laps of crossing
2 laps of heel toe walking
2 laps marching
Heel toes in place 30 each
Kick legs out front side & back 30 each leg
Kick back 30 times each leg
Flamingo move with knee up, then push out to side then down 15 times each side
Steps up & down 30 times each leg
side steps 30 each side
Stretch on step 30 second hold 3x each side
arm exercises with noodle swaying left & right, up & down, in & out 30 times each.
Deep end with noodles bicycle motion 3 min., skiing motion 3 min. & jumping jack motion 3 min. Then hang rest 3 min.

Thanks for helping.
 
What's T&Th? Remember, we're not all Americans on this forum!

involuntarily strength chef it
What does this mean?
Walk 3 Laps forward & 3 laps backwards
stand on one foot for 30 second each leg
Walk 3 laps side stepping
2 laps of crossing
2 laps of heel toe walking
2 laps marching
Are these pool exercises? If not, I don't understand them
Flamingo move with knee up
And what's this?
 
Typos...

I involuntarily stretched my leg this morning as I awoke, causing more pain to my groin muscle.

Yes water therapy is in the pool.

Flamingo is what this exercise is called. I bend my knee up then move my knee to the side toward 90 degree angle, not there yet maybe 45 degrees now.

T & TH is Tuesday & Thursday
 
T & TH is Tuesday & Thursday
:doh: :umm:

Flamingo is what this exercise is called.
Like one of these?

[Bonesmart.org] July Hip Replacement - When will I ski again?<
[Bonesmart.org] July Hip Replacement - When will I ski again?<
 
3. I am taking
Tylenol Arthritis 8 hour 1300 mg. 3x per day,
Naproxen 500 mg 2xper day
Aspirin 81 mg 2x per day for pain & swelling
I suggest you take 1,000mg Tylenol every 6hrs as this will give you better coverage than what you are taking
Naproxen's okay
Aspirin is usually taken as an anti-coagulant so not included in this. And that kind of dose has absolutely NO impact on pain!
4. Yes, All the time have a gel pack and water bottle frozen anytime I’m not in the shower etc.
5. elevating: Yes most of the time when sitting & when in bed.
Okay
2. I involuntarily stretched my leg this morning as I awoke, causing more pain to my groin muscle.
Since you never gave me a pain score, I am unable to comment.
4. Yes, All the time have a gel pack and water bottle frozen anytime I’m not in the shower etc.
5. elevating: Yes most of the time when sitting & when in bed.
Good
6. If I have energy I cook meals or do dishes. I run errands & go grocery shopping weekly. Read my story on Bonesmart for details.
I can't read threads for these answers - don't have the time. I already spend about 5-8 hours a day on this forum!
7. Not anything consistently. Just walking, heel pumps & stairs a few times each day. I tried to do some that the PT gave me but was always in pain the next day so stopped.
Well if you'r working, you definitely don't need heel pumps! They are just for the early days when you're not mobile. Don't think that applies now!
Walk 3 Laps forward & 3 laps backwards
stand on one foot for 30 second each leg
Walk 3 laps side stepping
2 laps of crossing
2 laps of heel toe walking
2 laps marching
Heel toes in place 30 each
Kick legs out front side & back 30 each leg
Kick back 30 times each leg
Flamingo move with knee up, then push out to side then down 15 times each side
Steps up & down 30 times each leg
side steps 30 each side
Stretch on step 30 second hold 3x each side
arm exercises with noodle swaying left & right, up & down, in & out 30 times each.
Deep end with noodles bicycle motion 3 min., skiing motion 3 min. & jumping jack motion 3 min. Then hang rest 3 min.
However, your problem is simply this: you can't work like you do AND do exercises! I don't wonder you can't sleep because you're too exhausted! But you're trying to do double ever day. Not only that but you have other commitments like running your daughter around. Keep on at this rate and you'll be fit for nothing! My other complaint is, did you miss this in amongst your recovery guidelines? Read it again and put it into action!!

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

And I'd suggest the walking you do in your work and home are plenty enough. You don't need planned walks as well! Do give yourself a break!
 
I get that I have a busy schedule which is why I replaced my hip to be able to keep up with all this activity. I need to exercise to avoid depression& help with anxiety. I just need to figure out how to balance it all. I’m going to get on the phone this weekend to see if other parents can help drive my daughter to school & back. Hope that is successful & helps.

@Josephine
Neither of the pics you sent are the flamingo. Knee up then move it out away from body then put foot down .
 
I'm sorry @Lski
I hope your efforts to get more help pay off.
I understand your need to exercise to help avoid anxiety and depression. Wondering, does walking just not appeal to you? Is it possible to leave work during your breaks to walk and do some deep breathing for 10-15 minutes? Just an option to consider....
 
Breaks at work - What are those? During busy season we all eat lunch while working. I get walking in when I walk the full length of the building to get to the cafe for water or tea. The only other break I get is to use the ladies room or driving in the car on my way to my next destination. In November I’ll be able to take breaks to walk outside or go to the gym for breathing/ meditation videos.
Appreciate the suggestion.
 
Pretty hectic. Hang in there. Another 6 weeks until November.
Hopefully you'll feel less frazzled with someone else driving your daughter and possibly putting water therapy on hold for 6 weeks, in favor of walks the length of the building several times a day for a beverage,
deep breathing / head clearing.
Wishing you the best!
@Lski
 
Hi @Lski,

I used to have slot of trouble sleeping. I was tired, but anxious about falling asleep... it if I woke up in the middle of the night, anxious I would not fall back asleep. Which kept me from falling asleep... a bit of a vicious cycle. And of course the worry centred on getting through the work day, being able to perform at work, making mistakes... and so on.

I picked up a book called “No More Sleepless Nights” by the leading sleep researcher at the Mayo Clinic. It really helped, and is worth picking up. I suggest you give it a try. In the meantime, let me pick out one tid bit from the boom that both surprised me and really helped. After a ton of studies, they found that lack of sleep has virtually no impact on next day performance... even though we perceive that it does. He litterally kept people awake for 72 hours straight, and there was only a neglegable impact in performance on those subjects. So, hopefully that puts your mind at ease.

Also, they did a ton a research on sleep cycles. Here what they discovered... it it not the amount of sleep that matters, but the amount of time spent in deep sleep. Often, even when having trouble sleeping, the amount of deep sleep you get doesn’t change that much... you just get to it faster, or stay in it for longer. Lastly, as we go through the numerous sleep cycles each evening, we enter deep sleep for less and less time as the night progresses. This is why babies and toddlers often wake up in the middle of the night... they actually wake many times (as do adults), but by 3:00 am, their sleep cycle is so light, they gave trouble falling back asleep. The last sleep cycle if the evening many people will enter one last deep sleep that is longer than the 3:00am deep sleep. Missing this one, or waking up early from this one is why we can feel so groggy in the morning (the alarm wakes many folks from this last deep sleep).

The book also dispels the notion of “sleep hygiene”... you know, where they say “stay on a schedule”, “don’t read it watch TV before bed”, blah, blah, blah. All garbage. Basically, you do whatever works for you. For me, when I have trouble falling asleep, or wake up in the middle of the night with my mind racing, I turn on the tv, close my eyes and listen. It take my mind off the worry of not sleeping, and I usually fall asleep (or back asleep) fairly quickly. And on those rare occasions when I don’t fall back asleep, I am comforted by the knowledge that if my body really needed more sleep, then it would sleep.

Anyway, you body will naturally sleep the amount your body actually needs. Worrying about it simply makes you anxious. Try picking up the book and reading it (it is not a long read). You may find it helps.

Cheers
 
Is this the flamingo. Foot to opposite knee and swing bent knee out to the side.
 
This weekend I attended the Joyce Meyer conference in Hersher, PA to recharge spiritually. It was a R S challenge to get there Friday evening but we were determined and arrived for the last 45 minutes of session 1. The next day was better, we arrived on time for session 3 & 4.
Seeing the videos about Project Girl & Project Hope.really put things in perspective. Joyce opened yesterday with two.wonderful prayers. First was for.healing & restoration of our health issues. The 2nd was for our children and their success that parents let them struggle so they will become strong & resilient, like eagles that break out of their eggs when born.
I think now have the strength to get through the weeks ahead. I saw my general doctor Friday morning and she agreed that I need a modified work arrangement through busy season so provided the needed information to the disability insurer to extend it through end of October. I'm so relieved that I won't be expected to work overtime like the rest of my co-workers. I'll only have to work 8 hour days 3 each s per week and 4 -6 hour days the other 2 so I have time for water therapy.
I'll make phone calls today to get help carpooling my daughter to & from school.
 
That is great news. Looks like your prayers were answered.
 
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the conference and feel spiritually re-charged.
Great news that your work schedule was modified. Hopefully it helps with the stress you're dealing with.

WARNING - Unsolicited Opinion coming....
I was looking over your thread and it seems that you engage in an awful lot of activity for this early into recovery. You are putting an enormous amount of stress on a body that is trying to heal. It's no wonder you're exhausted.

There was the trip to NYC, then to the shore, then to Maine, then to Hershey PA, all while trying to balance your home life with a 16 year old and your work schedule. You're your own worst enemy. I'll bet if you curtailed some of that activity and weren't so devoted to the water therapy, which really isn't necessary for your recovery, you may feel more rested at this point. It's your life and your recovery and you can do it your way but I wish you were able to chill and just b-r-e-a-t-h-e a little longer. I'm afraid you'll soon run into a wall.

Wishing you a peaceful relaxing day.
@Lski
 
Ok I have done some traveling and the trip to Maine was the one unplanned trip I made as a favor to my best friend. She was there for me the day of surgery and had always been there to help when I need it. So I felt I really owed her this favor and bring her car from DE to ME. On the way I had the chance to see my mom, brother, aunt, & grandfather. All all in poor health so any time I get with them is appreciated. I also love the Maine shore and really got to relax as my friend has a beachfront cottage. I am really glad I made the trip.
I found myself tired upon my return but was behind with work because I wasn’t able to log into the network when on the train as I planned.

It’s normal for me to be tired and a bit frantic this time of year. The new school year starts so I have to get used to a new schedule & work gets super busy at the same time. This year my daughter started 2 new schools ( cyber school & performing arts school). My husband landed a new position too. Last 2 years he worked part time from 11:00 - 4:00. This year he’s up & our by 7:30 and not home until 4:30. These are all big adjustments along with my hip recovery. I just need some time to adjust. I was anxious about the possibility of not having an accommodated work schedule before busy season ended, but am so relieved that it will remain in place thru end of October.
I’m still looking for help with carpooling my daughter to school. If I can get her rides to school that would free up 3 hrs a week for me.
I’ll find my strength Lord willing and get through this temporary situation.
In the meantime I’ll take one day st a time & try to enjoy life along the way.

I was prescribed Ambien to help me sleep. I took it twice and slept 7 hrs vs 5. Maybe tonight I’ll reach 8 hours. I’m feeling much better this week.
 
That is so good to hear as sleep is a wonderful thing.
Glad you got the change of hours too. Half the problem for me is worrying about the full time aspect of work - not a pleasant feeling!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom