Lounge Doctor

THR July Hip Replacement - When will I ski again?<

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
United States United States
Sleep is a wonderful thing. The Ambien is helping, I awoke after a full 8 hrs sleep this morning. I really needed it after my stressful day yesterday. It was a busy morning. Up at 6am, out the door by 7am, my daughter drove while I worked on my laptop in the car. Arrived at her school at 8 AM. I tried to reschedule a meeting with the head of my dept.( my manager's boss), since he wasn't available at the time I suggested. My manager butted in saying I shouldn't demand a meeting with him because he is in a position 3 level above me. There were 4 people involved on the case and I felt we needed to meet before I could proceed with my work. I mentioned in an email that I didn't have the information I needed to proceed and would not provide pricing for changes until I received clarification on what was being requested. My manager didn't like my direct, assertive choice of words. I received a response from her boss saying he could meet later in the day, so I sent out an updated calender invite for 12:30. My boss didn't see her boss's reply to meet later and scolded me for not listening to her & said my behavior is unacceptable and threatened my recent promotion that I got in April. This boiled my blood so I contacted my mentor who works in another dept. He willingly took my phone call, heard my story an r comer me down, provided some encouragement & a plan to move forward. He said that my boss was out of line threatening my position. Thank God he was available to help me.
After that stressfullness, I went into the school to sign some papers & attend the monthly parent meeting. I left a few minutes early to get to water therapy by 10 AM. I shared my morning stress with my water therapist. I also told her about my boss thinking I should be fine to work full time by now at 2 months & 1_week into recovery & that the nurse at my OS office would only approve a reduced work schedule thru week 12. I had to see my PCP for the extension thru end of October. She said that notes in my therapy file only has water therapy through 10/7, & to discharge the patient. So I guess the OS didn't provide another script for another 4 weeks of therapy as discussed and agreed to on the phone with his nurse. I had to call my PCP and ask that she provide the script for more therapy visits. They really help with my sress, depression and muscle tone.
After therapy I went to work. Had a short meeting at 11:30, then ate some lunch while I learned how to set up a webex for my 12:30 meeting. The 12:30 meeting went really well so I am happy I scheduled it with all parties. I stayed in the office until 1:30. Went home to nap ( once my calls to my Dr.'s were made). Awoke from nap at 3:45, then worked 4:00 - 6:00.
That was the end of my work day, but now I had mom duties to still do.
I sent my husband to a meeting at my daughter 's school on planning for after high school. I had him FAceTime me so I could be there too & not have to get home so late. I ate dinner during this session.
I cut up the cantaloupe & honeydew then my husband & daughter arrived home @ 9:15 pm. I then headed to bed. What a long day. So happy for my reduced work schedule, otherwise I'd not sleep at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
Update: The remainder of this week was super busy. Parent meeting Tuesday morning & evening, Thursday evening there were 2 so I attended one while my husband attended the other. Work was crazy, but somehow managed to accomplish what absolutely had to get done. Found my daughter some rides to school so that is a blessing and gets me to work 90 minutes sooner than when I drive her to school.
Had a bunch of errands to do yesterday. Today is laundry & grocery shopping plus packing for my business trip to NY city. It's only one night, but a lot to prepare for before I leave.
I am tired of the cane and can walk well without it, so yesterday I decided to fold it up and just keep it in my bag if my hip gets sore. I did just fine at Macey's, Kmart, the dance studio & Goodwill store. I even was able to walk up the stairs normally yesterday.
I am progressing but need to be careful not to overdo it.
Have a great Sunday!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy to hear your sleep has improved and you found help getting your daughter to school, saving you time.
I hope you have a happy Sunday and a peaceful week. Rest up!
You're doing great :happydance:
@Lski

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
I so wish I could sleep right now. It’s 3:30 AM, I didn’t take the a Ambien last night, I was so tired from my trip to NY I just forgot.
It was a frustrating experience riding the train. When I boarded in Wilmington DE I couldn’t find a seat. I gave up and sat on the floor and laid my suitcase down to elevate my legs on. It wasn’t until after we left Philadelphia stop that someone offered me their seat. People were busy working on laptops with headphones paying no attention to their surroundings. Then more people boarded in NJ and did not find seats. One lady lost her balance and bumped into my healing leg. I was lucky it was just a bump, and that she didn’t land on top of me. I was super upset and told her with a stern voice to go find a seat. Supposedly there were empty seats in the front car. I didn’t have the energy to keep walking that far nor did I feel safe to do so while the train was moving, which is why I parked my but on the floor when I did.

Then when I arrived at the hotel my room did not have a freezer for my ice, which I was promised when I called earlier that day to confirm would be in the room. I requested one and they brought a 2nd fridge- no freezer. So after about a dozen or so calls I finally talked to someone a 2nd time who found a fridge with a freezer in the room right next door. This process took 3 hours, so I never got a nap because I was waiting for the freezer. I was exhausted at the evening events. I slept the entire night at the hotel and had a better day in NY yesterday. That ended once my daughter came home that evening.

She didn’t have time to make herself lunch or dinner because her ride to school arrived 30 minutes earlier than she expected. So she was hungry & tired and upset that my husband didn’t make enough cheese steak for her to have some when she got home. He did not know she would want dinner since she is supposed to take it with her in the morning. She has a very long day 7 am - 7pm because school is an hour away and she stays after for fall play rehearsal. So I found her complaining about dinner etc. She bit her tongue eating some cheese so gave up and refused to eat anything. I tried to get her to eat chicken soup but she didn’t.

Then she informed me that the mom who agreed to help me with the morning rides won’t be helping anymore because her daughter is no longer enrolled at the school. Now I have to search for help with transportation again.
I’m praying for help with managing all this activity and being able to keep up with my daughters schedule.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Lski
Well, sadly people don't offer their seats for a variety of reasons, most often unknown to us. I'm sure when you finally found a seat you wouldn't have relished the thought of giving it up for another. Unfortunately no one knew you recently experienced a major surgery and have a prosthetic hip, while you were sitting on the floor of the train with your leg elevated on a suitcase. I'm trying to get a visual of that because by your description it sounds extremely uncomfortable. It's too bad the poor woman bumped your leg, I'm sure it was only an accident. We're all capable of losing our balance and bumping into someone, especially on the often cramped quarters of a train.

Unfortunate misunderstanding about the freezer for your room. I think I'd would have improvised and filled the bathroom sink with ice from the hotel ice machine for my ice packs and went about my biz until the freezer that was requested arrived. It sounds like it was your unlucky day.

That's too bad about your daughter, doesn't the school have a cafeteria or vending machines as an option so she didn't have to go without food? That would be unusual. I hope you find another person willing to help out with her transportation to save you time.

Hopefully you've caught up on sleep and things are looking brighter. Hang in there, I'm sure it will get better.

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
Today started out a bit rushed. Thankfully I was able to get 3 girls to school on time. Then I went to the office and stayed 6 hrs until 3:00 pm. Came home added veggies to the crockpot and napped until 4:45 pm. Awoke to dinner and news that my daughter found a ride home from school to a friends house that’s just in the next town over. Carpooling is becoming success. I have a mom taking the girls to school on Tuesdays. There is a dad willing to help so hoping he’ll drive Thurday mornings then I will just need to drive on Fridays for play rehearsal sometime during the day. I’ll plan to make Friday a remote work day and work at the schools cafeteria while my child is rehearsing. This will only last through mid- December.
Also slept through the night, so pretty good day. Only complaint is a bit of pain near the incision site. It’s raining, which is likely the culprit. Hoping for an even better day tomorrow. I have an ultrasound test for fibroids in the morning & water therapy at noon. Hoping results are good.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great news on getting help with the carpooling. That has to lighten the load for you.
Wishing you all the best with the ultrasound tomorrow.
Enjoy your time in the pool too :swim:
Sweet dreams tonight :yawn: :sleep:
@Lski

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful news on the sleep! May it long continue.
I hope your appt went well this morning.
A great weekend to you!
@Lski

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
I had a good morning got my tests done & they even squeezed me in for my routine mammogram. The time at the office flew by quickly. I'd forgotten to.pack a pool towel for water therapy. Luckily I found a hand towel in one of the file cabinet drawers that I was able to dry off with and a blanket from my chair to use as a wrap to go from the pool to the locker room. All was great until I arrived home and my daughter hadn't been picked up yet. She had plans to go to a friend's house at 1:00 so I offered to take her there and stop at the bank along the way. Due to road work and some main streets being closed this trip took about an hour. Anyway I had a few things to do ( eat lunch, purchase tickets for a friends to my daughter 's play, Docu-sign a permission form, shower & respond to a few work emails) before I could get in a nap. Thank goodness I only had to work a 4 hour day today. I awoke at 5:45 which is why I'm still up able to post this now. Going to bed soon, goodnight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
I had a productive weekend but now I'm so tired and have to rest with ice. Saturday I tackled the flower beds alongside our driveway, planted a few mums and transplanted a tree that was in the flowers to the middle of our front lawn. Hoping it will grow and give us some shade. Put up Halloween decorations on the front porch & got 2 batches of laundry done. My hip felt fine after all this activity so felt I was getting my energy & activity level back.
I was up early Sunday to take my daughter to work for 6:30 AM, so I made the grocery list while eating breakfast. After dropping her off I got the shopping done. No sooner had I put all the groceries away it was time to get my daughter from work, her shift was done. After that I worked on the spices I'd harvested last weekend and got them off the vines & into containers. I ate some lunch then napped a few hours. I awoke still tired and very achy. Incision site is painful about a 4 and leg is a bit swolen. Resting & icing hoping not to have log leg in the morning. I guess I did a bit too much.
I'm not so good at knowing when I've hit my limit. Have a good night.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like a lot of activity over the weekend. I hope you're feeling better today, rather than worse.
Rest and ice, you know the drill.
I hope you have a nice week!
@Lski

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
My hip is still sore but not as bad as it was yesterday. I received my tests results both not great news. I need to go for sonogram for Right breast - just like what happened 2 years ago, then next step will be a biopsy. No fun checking for cancer. The ultrasound for nd a 3rd fibroid which is sitting right on my bladder. Ugh! I have an appointment on Friday to talk about my options. Honestly I just want them gone, so leaning toward removal of the uterus or full hysterectomy.
The CGI nurse from my disability insurance company also called to find out my progress and suggest support / solutions. She suggested coaching for patients with osteoarthritis. I scheduled that then asked about telemedicine visits with a psych. Dr. to help manage my anxiety & depression meds. Spent about an hour calling at least 10 providers without any success so gave up & called Cigna back to help. Now waiting to see if can find one for me.
Going to nap for next hour & hope my evening is better.
Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm sad, frustrated, anxious & depressed all at the same time & tired.

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm sorry to read of your test results.
Prayers for guidance to make the right decisions and that all turns out favorable.
I'm sorry you're feeling sad, frustrated, anxious and depressed. Hopefully you and get the help you need
and your mood and health issues resolve soon.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind.
@Lski

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
Cigna found a provider that had available telemedicine appointments for me & I scheduled one for Thursday. So many Dr. visits these days ( 2 water therapy visits per week, one visit with GYN on Friday, next test on Monday). Hopefully the psychiatrist will help me with all my anxiety with these recent test results.
I made it through water therapy today and my hip feels a bit looser now, but still painful. I noticed if I step up with the new hip leg it causes more pain. I guess I need to go back to two feet steps rather than normal stepping up stairs.
Today is my 19th wedding anniversary. We celebrated with dinner out at PF Chang’s.

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Happy Anniversary and have a lovely time. You have a lot to cope with! Wishing all the best for you. I have to revert to the old way of going up the stairs at times too and my op was a similar time ago...

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good luck with your telemedicine appt. Haven't heard of that until now :shrug:
Belated Happy 19th wedding anniversary. Hope you enjoyed your dinner with hubs.
Enjoy the day!
@Lski

OP
OP
Lski

Lski

Country
@SurreyGirl & @Layla
thankyou for the anniversary wishes. I enjoyed my dinner & dozen roses that my husband gave me.

Today I awoke at 4:00 AM and couldn't fall asleep so did research on how to treat fibroids. Then it was time to actually get up for work. Is had a headache all day. Work was non stop busy no real breaks. I only got up to use bathroom or get ice & make a quick sandwich. I ate lunch while running reports & listening to a client call with all their insurance vendors, talk about multi-tasking. I thought for about a second I'd get a break to nap at 1:00 but then sales requested a quote to be delivered today. I figured I'd just get it done then rest before my call scheduled with my boss to go over a case that required her approval. It was the only time she had available when I scheduled it earlier that day. So tired cranky me tried to communicate my thoughts but she was not listening to my point of view, was things her way, at the end of the conversation the results of calculated rate increase was the same just exhibited differently. Then she accused me of being disrespectful, not giving her credit for her years of experience and told me that my FMLA time runs out tomorrow. She said she needs me back full time to meet the needs of the business. I said I was working as my much as I can (32-38 hrs a week). My health comes first that I was doing the best I can. She claimed that I am always out on leave every Sept. & Oct. This isn't true. I've been working in this dept. for 12 years. I took one other disability leave in 2015 after my father passed away unexpectedly and I sought the help I needed to deal with the grief, anxiety,etc. In 2016 I only used my allotted vacation time. In 2017 I took caregiver leave for the month of October and worked from Massachusetts 6 hrs days while helping my elderly grandfather card for my grandmother who was on hospice and suffering with dementia. These are my dad's parents. He's not with us so I had to fill in and help find caregivers before I could return to PA and work FT again.
I have approval for short term disability in the system through 10/16/18 and a letter that said my request for extension until 10/31 was pending some further information from my Dr. I was so upset I was in tears and called my disability case manager. She wasn't available so her colleague confirmed that my FMLA had not run out, my Dr. provided the information today and my disability will be extended through 10/31/18.
I have a 1 on 1 meeting scheduled with her tomorrow at 9:00 AM. I was so upset and anxious about this meeting that I called my HR rep. She agreed I shouldn't be treated like this, the law is on my side and it's my boss's responsibility to manage workflow with me working a reduced schedule. The HR lady is going to email my boss notifying her that we spoke and remind her of my reduced work schedule that is approved thru 10/31. Hoping this will get my boss to realize she was speaking to me in an inappropriate manner and apologize or change her attitude.

I still don't feel I can emotionally handle any criticism, coaching or feedback from her until she apologizes. feel
Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed in this situation?

All this stress is not helping my recovery at all.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Lski
I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with work. Stressful situation no doubt.
Through your words, one gets the impression there is a lack of respect and dislike for one another between you and your boss. It would be difficult to offer advice hearing only one side of the story. The stress of your job and work relationship with your boss can't be helping your recovery.

When you say "work was non stop busy, no real breaks" Curious, why is that? Aren't you able to carve out a 15 minute break a couple times a day to sit back, close your eyes, deep breathe, meditate, pray, listen to some relaxation music.....whatever it is that calms you? Or...step away from your desk while eating lunch, not eating while you're working. It sounds like you're running on empty.

Have you considered looking for another place of employment? It seems your job adds a lot of stress to your already hectic schedule with your daughter, home life, water therapy etc. You can only burn the candle at both ends for so long before it begins to affect your health, which it seems may already be compromised through your post on Monday.

I hope you can figure out a way to get the rest, sleep and quiet time you need. Did you ever think of resting, or trying to catch up on sleep rather than all the other activity you engaged in last Saturday? Tackling flower beds, planting Mums, transplanting a tree, putting up Halloween decorations? Possibly you could have skipped some of that until next year? You're in recovery from a major surgery, afterall. It's too bad hubby and daughter didn't take those tasks on.

Wishing you some restorative rest, peace of mind and easing of the hip pain you're struggling with.
I hope you're able to catch up on sleep this weekend. Maybe all will look brighter once you're feeling well rested.

Top Bottom