July 6, 2017<

Thanks @GrannyC & @Mojo333
I just need a little pick me up, I did run out of the good meds this weekend so had to survive on Tylenol, I knew I should have called Friday but thought I could tough it out. It does help with the movement and I do not feel like I am taking too much. Just a half or a quarter dose when I do. It does just seem to take the edge off, they are so stingy I feel guilty asking for it but I think I have a valid request LOL. Still experiencing those darn night sweats makes me wake up all sticky, I don't think it's the meds as I didn't have any for two nights so I think it is a low-grade fever which is usually gone by morning. I know the progress is slow, I should know that I have read everybody's posts back about a year, but I am getting what everybody gets impatient not seeing progress on a day-to-day basis, patients was never my strong suit I guess. I have had a lot of company, and I was able to put my horses in the barn by myself this morning, gives the boyfriend a break as he gets up at 5 AM to go to work. Onward and upward ! Going to take a shower and a walk before the rains come in, thanks bonesmartie friends


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think your recovery has been phenomenal! It's made me feel behind at times. You and @dougie0216 can both made me feel like a slacker.....then I check in on @cpollock, @Gone again, @313Lola etc and breathe a sigh of relief as their surgery dates were close to mine and progress somewhat similar.

I'm on Day 17, first doctor appt tomorrow. I too dreamed of walking in with no aids but I'm bringing my cane. I do walk around the house without it but I am limping. I've read time and again we're to use it until we no longer limp. I also have my first out patient PT tomorrow so I'll have a lot of questions for both the doc and PT. My recovery has been great, I can't complain. You read of so many post op symptoms on this site and one was what some refer to as "zingers" until a couple days ago I wasn't sure what that was, but now I believe I understand. It's like a quick electrical shock running down the front of my thigh, operative leg. My surgeon used posterior method as opposed to anterior so I'm wondering if it's still considered normal to have that sensation? My swelling has been pretty tolerable also but I do tend to have some swelling and bruising around operative knee area, in the back, with some bruising front and back. I feel a fullness in the area. It seems swelling is still acceptable at this point also in all I've read. At least I hope so!

Your description of slithering into bed on your stomach like a worm had me laughing. We must look crazy in many instances with the weird movements we acquire to get from where we are, to where we want to be! I've tried to keep a sense of humor in all this or I'll go crazy!

This morning at breakfast I was alone, dropped a vitamin on the floor, didn't have a grabber around. I sat and stared at it, trying to figure how I'd get it. Finally I used my foot! Then wondered if I really wanted to pop it in my mouth, even though my feet are clean, haha! It was part of this post surgical pack I take twice daily or I would have simply grabbed another. Soooo....did she take it, or not.....hahaha!

Per the wisdom of fellow bi-laterals @Mojo333 and @Irish Joe Its seems you are doing well! Possibly you progressed faster than the average bear at the beginning and are now falling back into place? They'd probably best be able to address that. At any rate keep up the good work, you've been an inspiration as so many are, in varied and numerous ways.
A great week to you!
 
Hey there gaulsuerou.
I've been watching your recovery and a thought just came to me.
I remember someone posting on another persons thread that she was very anxious about an upcoming bi-lateral hip surgery. To the point of considering backing out.
Over the next few weeks it was obvious that she was following many persons recovery threads and asking the odd question here and there. Smart lady I thought....... I hope she goes ahead I thought.
And of course you did.......And look at where you are now....
I can't understand this US thing about limiting meds when they are needed. We don't have that problem really here and we're not all hopelessly addicted.
Your posts since your op are truly most helpful to recovering hipsters especially bi-lats.
I think you are doing great gaulsuerou.
Joe......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had to sign a paper saying I would follow instructions on pain meds and they would not refill earlier than recommended and I wouldn't sell them, etc. but that really is all a formality. They will give you the amount you need to take what they recommend. They don't want you doubling up on doses or sharing them I guess. I never felt that I couldn't ask for more. So having said that, @gaulsuerou , I don't think it is any problem for you to call for a refill and you certainly should NOT feel guilty about it. You are less than 2 weeks out from a bilateral for goodness sake! Get that refill so you can be out of surgical pain!!
 
Thanks @Irish Joe
Yes, what a ride it has been, thank you for acknowledging that you think I'm doing good, sometimes I think yes sometimes I think no, I have a tendency to expect a lot out of myself. Yes those days pre-surgery were terrible, yes I did almost chickened out, no it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, yes I'm stronger than I thought I was. I actually had company today and we walked around outside and look at the horses & the pig & the garden, I think I got a lot of exercise in, still have not heard back from my doc, I called the pharmacy, no meds yet, will check later I'm still alive. I am doing and moving about as much as I think I should, just the meds would make it a bit more comfortable to do so. Oh well it will be what it will be thanks for looking in on me


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Layla
Best of luck on your first appointment tomorrow, the vitamin story was funny, yes the way we move and put things so we can carry them, or drop them, or pick them up, I have actually been lucky I can reach things on the floor but I keep my leg straight and don't bend my knees quite yet. Those thigh zingers are really something, if I just brush the waistband of my clothing in a certain spot when I'm pulling up my pants it sends me through the ceiling. It seems to be getting less intense though so I guess eventually it will go away. Despite my grumpy start to the day I'm feeling better, even though they have not refilled my dilaudid yet. Once again good luck tomorrow, I hope your surgeon cuts you loose from those dreaded stockings ... keep us posted


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The opioid crisis is getting alot of play in American media...heroin use and prescription narcotic abuse which with the considerable amount of methadone clinics etc on the rise...very real problem I believe. Unfortunately, it causes people with true needs to have to jump through many hoops.
My doctor never really gave me alot of problem but they would only fill one week per time and I had to call and ask them to renew each time. Also script had to be picked up in person and hand delivered to pharmacy. Obviously that was an issue when I could barely get around so I had to sign paperwork authorizing my better half to do it.
Honestly, I was so shocked I wasnt more infirmed the first week...I was on a real up, and then week 2-3 all the muscles nerves and anxieties woke back up and I had to realize I probably was pushing it a little too much and that once I did get back to 'real life' I would miss having time to lounge and take care of myself - which I am already doing.
Hope they get you fixed with your meds so you can chill without pain.
 
Today's issue...
Although my low-grade fever seems to have subsided I check it every morning when I wake up or whenever I feel it might be lurking it's always a normal, but I have a ton of heat rolling off of my hips. Has anybody else experienced this, when I take my blanket off of my lap it is so hot it feels like an electric blanket, or if I sleep on my stomach, when I get up and touch the bed, it is so hot to the touch. I can feel the heat across the front of my surgical area. There is no redness no pain no anything just a lot of heat, is it just my body healing itself? Any thoughts? @Josephine ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi there - I can tell you from my experience after my BTKR there definitely was a lot of heat around the scar area during the inital healing period. I was on anti-inflammatories for the first few weeks, plus tylenol-3 (co-codamol). Honestly, I think you're undermedicated and perhaps you try and do too much? I'm sure Josephine will be able to advise you on this.

I am so lucky that I can get whatever pain meds I need from my GP. His attitude is that there's no point being miserable and in pain. I want co-codamol - he'll go here's a couple of hundred, and I have no problem getting repeat prescriptions. Obviously if all off a sudden it would appear that I use more than usual or recommended, that would raise questions. I have been on co-codamol for several years now and I definitely have not developed a dependency; and will only take one or two at night, when I've had a bad day, and sometimes I don't need one for days.

I hope you'll feel better soon - in the meantime :flwrysmile:.
 
Thanks @Phoenixx29
Yes I believe I have been under medicated, when I finally got my prescription yesterday it was for 20 pills, it says to take two every four hours so tell me how long those are going to last. I didn't even bother to take any last night. But this heat thing is something new, I've been icing and resting trying to cool my body down


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou I also heat up but it's also do to menopause too I'm sure. But my operated hip felt warm too for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe it is part of healing. Have you been shown to jiggle your incision to avoid adhesions and get the blood flowing? Physio showed me yesterday and I'm to do this a couple minutes once or twice a day. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
Yes I got up in the night to ice that's the only thing that makes me feel any better, I have not been moving my incisions until I see my doc on Friday


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I feel warmth too @gaulsuerou. I think it's the trauma and healing. I've really does make it feel better, and it eases over time. I am 3 weeks postop today, it still feels warmer at times, but much less often and to a much lower degree.

Hang in there... sorry you have had such a rough go with getting the meds to manage pain.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @313Lola
Good to know somebody else's having the issues with the heat in surgical area. I'm getting along OK without the meds just doubling up on the Tylenol, just waiting for that one day when I wake up in the morning and say wow I feel good!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou sorry you have concerns. I woke this morning on day 8 feeling pretty good. I got a good sleep lying on my R side. Also all the swelling is 90% gone and i had it too my knee. I had the sweats too a couple times. I still have that hot nerve pain at the front happening. I think your like me, your were under for a long time though. Both hips done!! Your body might just need to catch up!!?? And i sleep OK. I imagine you haven't got many options to get comfortable. I was feeling sorry for myself for a bit, until i talked to a family member who'd been though a whole lot worse. It brought a tear to my eye that id not really known how tough it had been for them. But my issues seem smaller lol . Also i do some hip flexor stretches. They acutely make that hot pain, but i gently do it for 10. Its helped. Now i seldom get that front thigh pain unless i bring it on with the exercise as therapy. I think it wont be long and you'll really be feeling better:)
 
Thanks @BlueSkys
I pretty much took today off in it's entirely aside from icing and watching TV. I'm going to get a prescription for therapy when I see my doctor this Friday and get some exercises for range of motion, although I am doing just fine climbing stairs, I'm just not sure how far I should be flexing my hips just yet. Today was day 12 I'm hoping day 13 is a lucky 13! I pretty much sleep on my stomach or my back, I've tried the sides of the operated hips are not comfortable even though I have no restrictions. Yes we are fortunate when you think of people that have bigger problems than we do, that at least our problem is repairable and there are a lot of people that have conditions that are not… Counting our blessings wishing you continued good healing thanks for checking in on me


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi gaulsuerou. My surgeon is encouraging of no restrictions. Its hard to believe it. But i do give it a gentle but serious stretch, flexion and extension. Also i didn't mention, that the 2 night previous my leg ached horribly overnight. I couldn't put it anywhere lol. Feel good today though. You'll get there soon :)
 
I just have started turning on to my side in the middle of the night. I wanted to sleep on my side so badly... Was very concerned when my incisionss were still fresh... Plus my lower back would actually ache because now that I can flatten all the way out... Was making lower back muscles sore. Now when I try to sleep on my side if on my hip bone it isn't as comfortable as I thought. It feels hard... Like I can sorta feel that hard metal in there.
I put pillow between my knees, but when I lay on still feels weird?
Anyway... Since I slept the first few months laid out flat, I start out that way and noticed I turn sometimes in my sleep. I kept thinking it was one of the things I wanted to do most... It'll get there I guess.
Just proud to be able to sleep!!!!!
 
I'm going to get a prescription for therapy when I see my doctor this Friday and get some exercises for range of motion,
Please, I beg you - NO exercises! You are only 2 weeks out so you only 'duty' right now is rest and more rest! Plus normal activities - as described here Activity progression for THRs.

I'm sure I've left you this before - if not me, then someone has - but here it is again
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom