July 6, 2017<

Shouting out to @BlueSkys I just realized today is your day... thinking of you not sure of the time differential, hoping you're already out of surgery and starting your journey to feeling better and better please post when you can I am sending positive energy your way


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou LOL the tape!!! I had shoulder surgery 2.5 months ago and have just in the past few days gotten the last residue of tape off my body! Gads what ever they use for stickum on that tape lasts forever.
 
she even told me they tape your eyes shut so none of the flying debris from the sawing and drilling gets in there
Don't think this is necessarily the norm. Unfortunately I did wake up during my LTHR. I think I would have noticed if my eyes were taped shut.

Enjoy those naps - your body is in healing mode!
 
@gaulsuerou .. late to the the thread, but I have been following your progress including your amazing post-op hospital photo (you are so pretty!).

Glad that you continue to do well and are keeping a sense of humor...so important! When the home health care coordinator came to meet with me last month, I told her it was imperative that they send a carer with a sense of humor:loll:
 
Thanks @Jaycey, I thought it was a little bizarre but we got into the conversation because I did not want to take my contacts out and they said that was one of the reasons why, and that was the first time I've ever heard of anything like that thought it was interesting I'm just glad I didn't see half of what went on in there


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Isn't it so amazing that the hip pain is gone. That's what energized me so much the first week. Dang, I walk and my hips don't hurt. I had, and still have, that electrical weirdest feeling in my thighs... Think it's the little nerves they cut through and stretched out trying to reconfigure and settle. Such a different kind of pain when there is pain.
You have done so well, girl. I'm proud of you. You were such a worry wart...lol...
We are very lucky to have the chance to change our lives from pain and desperation to hopefulness and recovery.
:yes!:
 
Hi @Lerwick8 yes, humor does help in the face of all of this, I have been so oppressed by it all, and it's like a huge weight has been lifted, things that shouldn't even seem funny do sometimes, I have been too serious for too long I need to start enjoying my life again


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou It is so great to see you doing so well and feeling so upbeat! All those preop frets and worries gone right along with all that OA pain. You are doing amazing!! :wowspring:
 
Yup a sense of humor is very important .I've always told people if you can't take a joke we won't get along.
I think the doctors have a sense of humor,some of the stuff they make us do. Like the tights socks you need to put on when you can't reach her feet.:chinstroke:
 
@gaulsuerou LOL the tape!!! I had shoulder surgery 2.5 months ago and have just in the past few days gotten the last residue of tape off my body! Gads what ever they use for stickum on that tape lasts forever.
Thanks!
It's gone well. I went crazy with itching the first night, the second was a little better. Me and the catheter parted ways ways today, which I wasn't sad about. However the morphine PCA I had grown quite fond off. But now that I've met endone, I'm taking it home . About to go for a walk up the hall with 1 crutch) I'm expecting to be a bit sore tomorrow) I hope your going well ?
I hope to home Saturday . :)
 
That's the spirit @gaulsuerou.
The biggest change really after the physical healing is a new outlook on life. I think a lot of the anxiety we have pre-op stems from being so uncomfortable for so long.
I hope you have enough time to stay around on the forum for a bit so other bi-laterals can benefit from your progression.
Good for you.
Joe.....
 
@gaulsuerou it must have been awful to suffer with both. My BP has been 150/90 +. !!! Now with pain gone it's pushing 110/60! Who we gonna be without the pain . Your going to be a happier person I'll bet . Are you sleeping better too!? Still so much improvement to come ))
 
Hi @BlueSkys
So glad you are through, I think you are right about pain making blood pressure rise, I haven't had mine checked since I came home but I'm feeling good, sleeping well, eating well, I feel like my body is trying to rest and fuel to heal itself. A bit of frustration I have about not being able to do the things I want to do quite yet. My primary care taker is getting very ugly with me, just not a good nurse I guess although I try not to ask for much. Here's hoping you get home on Saturday. I've had a few bouts with a low-grade fever, had me worried at first, now it's just kind of annoying, it comes and goes. I guess I'm going to live LOL... sending you good thoughts to you for consistent improvement :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes me too re fever I woke all sweaty. It was too many blankets, or the meds or something else. I think it's going to be lots of small consistent gains, rather than huge bounds that come from me overdoing it )! Hopefully I will get home tomorrow ... I'm already realising the difficulties I haven't addressed . But yes we will survive , and have no pain ))). Boy I so know I have done the right thing . Can't really put it to words:)
 
@gaulsuerou Wow. I've been out of town caregiving, and now I am literally stealing a moment to read through your thread. That nurse was something else! I loved the way you posted all your steps-- others to come will really appreciate that. And you are doing things now, with bilateral, that it took me WEEKS to even contemplate! And those nap attacks, yep. Love naps while you can-- you've done both hips so barring another major surgery, you won't ever get this chance again!
you said: "First thing the cat did was jump on my incision but if that is the worst thing that happened I think I'll live after everything I've been through. " Why is this such a theme?:catdance::heehee: One of mine did exactly the same thing! I came home, stretched out on the couch with op hip inside, and the cat, who hasn't seen me for all of 30 hours, and HAS seen hubby, for overnight even, leaps up onto my lap, digging in to take off again when I screeched. So I had a nice set of claw marks on op hip thigh....anterior....yikes! I found that a patio chair cushion over my lap made both of us much happier-- ready made nest for him, and protection for me from him and the heat of the laptop. Laptops melt ice. Who knew.
Keep up the good work, but speaking as a full member of it, Do Not join the ODIC :snork: really. Please! I have chronic tendonitis all over the front of my right groin, and I think it's from doing too much too early in my joy. I am pacing myself this time, you betcha!

I remember living in Vermont...when it got to 85 we thought we were going to die. And that was southern VT! Here in VA, 85 is a nice cool summer day, even with humidity! It's currently nearly 100, third day in a row, and me and my asthma are staying inside as much as we can in the afternoon.
 
Hi!! I just read your thread for the first time!!! I am hoping your recovery is progressing well and your pain is at a controllable level!! You are now on your way tons pain free life and will look back and remember the awful pain and be glad you did it!!! Keep us updated on your progress when you can!! Wishing great days ahead of you
 
Hi @zauberflöte
Here I sit at 4am... my morning ritual... coffee, water, meds, ice packs, blanket, pillow, TV remote… I think that's it. Sleep comes hard by early morning, I am almost out of pain meds… The good ones… I knew I should've called it in before the weekend. I've been chugging along and doing well, I did try to make my recovery story as detailed as possible, only because I could not read enough of everybody else's in the beginning before my surgery, I was so nervous I wanted to know everything. It was good for me because there were very few surprises other than a bad nurse and a crazy woman on the hospital floor.
Virginia reminds a lot of Vermont, I spent some time there in my youth, beautiful scenery, horses, only milder winter. I don't know if I will retire up here but it's nice. I have days when I keep trying to do more, walking without aids, being more useful around the house, then I usually pay for it, though not too bad.
I want to astound my surgeon at my two week check up next Friday by walking in there tall and straight LOL hopefully that works for me. Glad you are progressing. And yes I don't know what it is about cats but they do know where to zone in on a problem lol. I like the cushion on the lap idea


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou I know what you mean about early AM sleep...sorry you're stuck there!
I just read your post over on Kiki60's thread, and figured I'd come see you!
I too walked triumphantly in to my 2 weel followup, a swively shimmy in my step and cane high above my head. Didn't get me a darn thing except removal of the tighty whitey kneehighs. I could not rush the healing process. Recovery, sure, but physical healing takes its own timetable.
You are a Vermonter, granite backbone like my mother and hers before her! Some hippies do drive early, but I have such an ability to envision the worst-- not being quick enough on the brakes in that clichéd panic stop, being t-boned by some clown and dislocating-- etc etc. i lived in both rural Vermont and very rural West Virginia, and I think the surprises to be met on those roads are alot more surprising than the suburban/urban/interstate landscape of my heart's home, Virginia. I was on narcotics until end of week four, so driving was out of the question anyway. Also my BP was still cery low, so I had unpredictable weak and dizzy spells. Best I did stay off the roads :heehee:

In your comparison of our two states you mentioned "milder winters" but left out the three extra months of Vermont winter which are replaced here in Virginia by three extra months of summer! In central and coastal VA, a cool summer night is.. oh...79. I remember sweaters coming out for late summer nights there, but here, I don't get to switch wardrobes until mid-Oct, and we have had several Thanksgivings with the AC on. Horse country is gorgeous, and is also wine country now. Very gentrified.
The long late summer here is good for recovery though-- lots of late-night walking in comfort!
Keep up the good work, and husband your energy well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] July 6, 2017<
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom