July 6, 2017<

Beautiful day here in Vermont, with my girlfriend I walked the .2 mile round-trip to the corner and back three times for a total of .6 miles, time to get this recovery party started… Yes I am wearing my pajamas ... no I am not wearing my TED socks lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you!!!! I'm floating in the pond and fishing today. It's 103 with the heat index... Whooooo!
 
I dropped them dang socks after week 1.....shhhhhhh!
 
Silly white knee high socks make you feel like you need a pair of Mary Jane's to go with them.
Nuh, uh.....been there done that......over it.

Go @gaulsuerou......you're an inspiration to all!
 
Don't forget the black patton leather shoes the wool jumper with the white shirt with the Peter pan collar....
Plus the Bob haircut with the too short bangs.
Love my elementary school photos...NOT!!!!
 
@gaulsuerou Love the picture!!! :yay: I, too, am a former New Englander - grew up in NH and grandparents and cousins lived in Vt - and Virginian (Reston area and now son and granddaughter live in Norfolk area) but I've been an Oregonian for over 30 years and think this state combines the best of the other two ;) It is wonderful to see that you are doing so well. And yup PJs are the way to go - it was winter here when I had my hips done so I wore flannel pjs for months (and yup even went outside in them a few times) Keep up the good work :flwrysmile:
 
@Mojo333 Hahaha! Yep, did that look for school, 5 days a week, for 8 yrs, only with a plaid jumper.
Don't think I've worn plaid since then.

Gail, did you just ditch the TED socks like Mojo, or aren't you required? I'm still wearing them begrudgingly 20 out of 24 hrs. Also the annoying DVT cuffs when I'm sitting or sleeping......getting less and less as I'm getting more mobile. First appt on Tuesday (finally) and hopefully it will be the end of both. I tell my hubby when they're off I feel like I''ve been reprieved to the prison yard and when they go back on I'm back in the cell .
FREEDOM! you will hear me yell all the way to Georgia and Vermont!
 
Hi @Layla
Unfortunately I did just ditch the Ted socks, I took them off to wash them and I really meant to put them back on, I really did… But I do not have any edema, and even though I had a lecture on how bilateral hip replacement surgery is the worst for developing blood clots I just never put them back on. Never been one to follow the rules to the letter, so far I have had no ill affects it has been almost a week. I guess I feel restricted enough. I think he told me I was supposed to wear them for two or four weeks something like that, I may put them on for my two week appointment and lie.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @djklaugh
I have never been to Oregon, farthest I have been is Las Vegas. I would like to go there someday. I would hate to have this surgery in the winter, I would make it totally undoable, winter is depressing enough not to mention the slip and fall risk is everywhere. Have a bit of surgical stiffness and restriction and swelling in the hip area, I thought a little more exercise would get the blood pumping all that **** out of there and get me back to normal faster LOL


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I don't think I wore them for long, either. I had bilateral surgery, too. I was told that as long as you are moving around and fairly active, it's okay. It looks like you are doing great.
 
Hee hee gaulsuerue. That it's exactly what I did/said. They needed washing...so I said I'd put them on when I went back to my first post-op at 2 weeks because my hubby was having a duck about my not wearing them... But they were too dang tight.
I know we should do as doctors said but I don't have blood pressure or other health issues... Made sure no excessive swelling in legs and ankles.
I forgot to put them back on the day I went back to Doctor and he didn't say anything about it so...
Probably not great advice but....
They were too tight.:shrug:
 
Layla you have already made it ...almost... And can say you have been following your instructions to the letter... Might as well hang in there. But yep, I'll be listening!
 
@Mojo333 I don't want to dissuade anyone from taking doctors orders but I came to the conclusion they set some of these guidelines with the lowest common denominator in mind.

About a week into my recovery I got these pin point red dots on the front of my calf, operative leg. I wrote about it somewhere on this site. I started searching online and came up with a couple scary scenarios. Finally I thought ENOUGH and called my OS's office. After answering numerous questions he told me he didn't feel it was of concern.

My husband and I wondered if tiny blood vessels burst due to constriction with the cornbo of the TED socks and possibly too tight DVT cuff on that leg overnight. The red dots eventually faded away. During the conversation with my OS's assistant I mentioned the DVT cuffs and he said he'd be happy if I wore them 50% of the time. So baically I think they come on strong in the beginning knowing people aren't going to follow their instructions to the letter. They probably realize if they say 100%, most will only do 50%......make sense? I don't have high blood pressure or any known health issues either but I'd be so mad at myself if something happened because I didnt listen. I can be a rule bender / breaker myself but in this instance I've decided to see it through.
 
Makes sense to me... And you only have two more days.... Hopefully you can ditch them then.
You are doing beautifully and I've noticed your posts... So uplifting to others. You have been such an encourager which as you know is certainly what we need especially early on.
Glad you are doing well
 
@Layla
That makes sense to me too, I think my surgeon said I could take em off at night, And just wear 'em during day hours, it wasn't horrible, just inconvient


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't have the cuffs after I left the hospital but I did have the dreaded socks. I was told to wear them during the day and take them off when I went to bed for 2 weeks. At my 2 week checkup they said I could ditch them.
 
So perhaps I am having a bit of post op blues, although I have had a really good recovery, today being day 11, I am waiting until the surgical pain goes away. Hip pain is gone but I swear I can still feel the knife on either side all the way to the bone. I have very little swelling just like a band as if I wrapped it around my incision is all the way around me, The tops of my legs and sides of my legs seem a bit tight inside and out. I have had zero swelling down my legs or ankles or anywhere else.Today being day 11, it feels just like day 10, which felt just like day nine, which felt just like day eight.!.! I am out walking .5 miles every day, maybe not all in one swoop, sometimes I take a couple or three even three trips. The only milestone I have had in the last few days is the fact that I can actually sleep on my belly, I cannot roll onto it I have to stand, turn around & slither into bed like a worm on my face but the sleep is amazing I do it a couple times a night . My two week appointment is this coming Friday and I so want to walk in there with a zero aids, like a champ. But on a day-to-day basis I do not see a lot of improvement grrrr. I just want to wake up one day and say wow!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are already at wow. Those legs are probably telling you to cut them a little slack... They have been cut off and reattached... And those new hips probably appreciate a little help from all that weight with the aids.
You're doing so well. Weeks 2-4 were definitely my most frustrating times for same reasons...a lull in recovery.
Are you taking your meds still? As Jo reminded me, not only helps with pain but purposely slows you down so you can rest.
You are a real inspiration so now you have to be patient. Be good to those new hips and your body. You don't have to be the fastest recovering hippie... Be the best recovering hippie
 
That seems like a very lot of walking for just 11 days out but then I'm no medical person either. I'm going by what I read on BoneSmart. Mentally it feels like we should be doing more but apparently our bodies need the quiet time to work in healing. I was worried about regaining range of motion but it just seems to come back gradually almost on its own. My OS agreed with what Josephine tells us - we don't need PT to recover. It sounds like you are doing great and I loved your picture standing there so straight and tall!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom