Guest viewing is limited

July 6, 2017<

@gaulsuerou WOW girl that nurse really put you through the wringer! :hissy: When you can please write a letter detailing what happened and send it to the Director of Nursing at your hospital. That kind of treatment should not be allowed to continue!!! Among all the other horrid care things it appears she blatantly lied to the other nurse about taking your vitals - Oh so wrong on so many levels!!!! :bignono:

Thank goodness you are home now and can get on with the healing part of the process. :thumb: And what is it with the felines? :kitty:How do they ALL know exactly where you don't want them to step and proceed to do exactly that? When I had my BTHR I had 2 Maine Coon cats (see my avatar picture) - sweet girls and very big - one was 18lbs and one was 22lbs. They missed their mamma soooooo much that both wanted to snuggle at the same time (a rare occurrence with those 2) :kittykiss: :kittykiss: - one on each hip landing at the same time while I was trying to get settled OOOPH! Poor kitties my shriek scared them and it was a while before they returned. But they learned quickly that next to was OK but on top of was not OK (ice packs work pretty good as kitty deterrent). And they learned to avoid the walker and crutches, wait patiently for food to arrive, and that trying to get me up at 0-dark-30 would not longer work to get them breakfast when they wanted it.

I am glad you are not having much swelling or bruising ..... but, alas, that might show up in the next few days. I had what looked like bruising all down my right leg that showed up about 6-7 days post op. :what: Surgeon said when I called about it that he'd done right hip first so gravity caused blood to pool a bit when he did the left one (aka flipping me over to get to the left hip) - plus he said there was usually some blood seepage into surrounding tissue during surgeries like mine and the bruise look was merely that blood being reabsorbed.

Virtual hugs :friends: and blessings :prayer: - may your recuperation proceed with nary a glitch or mess up!!! :angel:
 
Wow! You sure had a rough start but you made it and that is what is important now. It sounds like you are doing very well. You are so lucky not to have any log leg. I'm glad you are home now. Sending speedy recovery wishes to you! :wave: :flwrysmile:
 
It sounds like Dottie takes the night shift because she doesn't like people:) Your doing this and keeping your spirits up its great! I hope i do half as well! )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
2 says out ! Came home around 1pm yesterday ! Yay! Car ride was worrying me but was a breeze, especially with the plastic bag under my butt to slide and turn. Slept on our big new couch and thought several times about trying the 13 steps up to bedroom but figured will give is a day or two. I miss my hospital bed, and the pump cuffs they put on my legs, and the bed had some sort of Built in massaging in it and I really enjoyed that, but still definitely better at home even without a staff waiting on me LOL. I slept all night, took minimum prescribed meds, thought I would need more but have been coping quite well with a small dose of dilaudid, 1000 milligrams of Tylenol and Celebrex as prescribed, constipation has not been a problem as of last night, yay. So far the recovery has been so much easier than I had built up in my mind, I'm sure I will have bad days but so far it's better than expected, trying not to be a burden on the boyfriend, he gets grumpy, great guy but this is not his forte!
 
@gaulsuerou Thanks. For the compliment on my dog.

I think you'll find you will be quite independent before very long. The first 2 or 3 days were when I needed the most help. Of course, I only had one hip done. But it sounds like your mobility is a bit ahead of mine as I did have that log leg for a couple days. After those first few days I made my own breakfast and lunch. Got my meds, etc. I just needed help with the compression stockings for 2 weeks and with picking up anything off the floor. My husband wasn't as much of a chef as I thought he might be so he usually picked up something for supper. By maybe 10 days or 2 weeks, I wanted something other than restaurant food so I started making easy meals like spaghetti with frozen meatballs, etc.

Hopefully you can get outside a bit soon, even just to sit on the porch. Hopefully you don't have those horrid little black flies there! They are the worst and probably extra bad with all the rain this year!! You are doing fantastic. I felt the same as you. It was no where near as bad as I had anticipated!
 
Hi @GrannyC, yes I can see the main problem with this recovery is going to be boredom, I just sent the boyfriend out to do some mowing because he sick of listening to me talk about my recovery, it will be hard to shut up but I am so astounded. The only pain I have is my IT band otherwise and even now… and no I won't, I feel like I could drive. I can go sit on the porch he made these little half steps for me so it's not too much of a step down to get there. I got my own breakfast, picked up my own mess, showered myself yesterday, even managed to put on the Ted hose with my new socks thing that the PT gave me. I am sitting on the couch now and icing my IT's, will perhaps take a nap and try to find somebody to come visit me LOL. I plan on cooking supper although he has been nice about waiting on me but I sense his tensions and he needs a break, he's lucky I'm having a good recovery and not a bad one, thanks for looking in on me at least I know that here on bone smart I am allowed to talk about my recovery and compare with everybody else, have a great day, our blackfly season is behind us it's just sunny and beautiful and breezy today, take care


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good Morning Gail,
You seem to be doing so well! You are doing things I just started doing last week and I'm 9 days ahead of you in recovery. PLUS..you're bi-lateral. I'll continue to say that the strength of you bi-laterals @Mojo333 and @Irish Joe is something to be marveled at. I know there are others in that club and I need to refresh myself on their names!

I'm so impressed you are getting your own breakfast, picking up your mess and showering. I just began last week going out into the kitchen making my own coffee in the a.m. grabbing some yogurt and fruit and walking it down the kitchen island, setting it ahead of me, catching up to it, placing it out further, catching up to it (if you get my explanation) until I reach the kitchen table. You wanting to prepare dinner is really ambitious. The only meals I prepare is plopping leftovers on a plate myself.

I wasn't brave enough to venture the shower alone until my 4th shower. I had the walker in there for security as my legs would get a tad wobbly, probably just nerves. I finally just graduated to no walker in the shower and no husband five ft. away!

Putting the TED hose on yourself? What is this gadget? I need one! Last night, during the overnight one of my TED socks got a little doubled up in my ankle. Now in addition to the TED socks my surgeon has me wearing those inflatable DVT cuffs while sleeping. Once when I woke it felt like the back of my ankle was split and bleeding, it hurt with each compression of the cuff. I awoke my husband convinced I was bleeding (I wasn't) and that's when we discovered the sock had bunched a little and left a mark on my ankle as if a rubber band had been there.....yikes!

I think it's natural to be a bit consumed with your recovery so early on.....speaking of it often. It's an all consuming experience! Your body has been through great trauma, emotions running the gamut for the weeks leading up to your procedure. Then our story afterward. We all have one. We re-live "the day" from the moment we woke, the drive to the hospital, emotions running high. We each have our own prep story leading up to unconsciousness. Then of course the old recovery room stories. I heard I was in rare form, not usually much of a curser but dropping "F" bombs every three seconds! Classy woman....hahaha!

I understand your concern over having your boyfriend get some space. I do the same. My husband has been a saint. With neither of us having been through a surgery or extended illness to date, thankfully, I wasn't sure how he'd handle this. He does have his "moments" because he's been home a lot and normally isn't. As soon as I sense his frustration building I start throwing out suggestions to get him out of the house for a few hours. It usually works. I get rest and he re-charges. @dougie0216 mentioned he's been on the patient side and the caregiver side and that caregiving is more difficult. Understandably!

Well I intended to be company but this is getting long. I'll say bye for now and let you move on to someone else's post. I've enjoyed hearing your story......fascinating! I'm amazed by your strength and bravery.
I wish you a beautiful day and am sending a warm hug!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gaulsuerou I have to say you are amazing. I was more like Lapland in recovery, I now 3 weeks post op and improving more. The first 2 weeks were up and down and I had some issues, all resolved now thankfully. Keep up the good work. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thank you all so much cpollock, Gone Again and Layla for listening and "getting" it, this afternoon's little victory was that I walked from my kitchen to my bathroom and back again with no Walker at lunchtime, about 25 steps each way, yay. If it wasn't for the lateral support pain from the IT band I don't think I would need a walker at all go figure!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Layla, regarding your pump cuffs and Ted sock, I think that's nice you got to bring those things home, I absolutely loved them, not minding the Ted socks but I loved those pump cuffs for such a nice massage I actually asked the nurse about them, maybe bringing a set home, but they told me as long as I'm up walking I don't need them I was actually disappointed, maybe I just need to hire a masseur, my bed had a massage thing in it and those cuffs would do my legs all day long and all night long... funny how we all have different perceptions


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @gaulsuerou, Glad to hear that you are doing so well. I had bilateral surgery, too. Like you, I had an excellent recovery. I did almost slip and fall a couple of times, though. I loved that walker. Wonderful that you are able to shower, fix your meals, etc.

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time in the hospital. I had a friend who had a similar story, so i put in writing that I wanted my meds on schedule, even if I was asleep. The pain can really shoot up high if you skip a dose. My neighbor advised me to "stay ahead of the pain". It worked.

Take care of yourself. It must be a huge relief to have both hips done. I am almost two years from surgery and am bicycling, kayaking, and doing yoga. It's amazing how much better you feel, once you are healed. Keep up the great work.
 
Thanks Hip Hip Hooray , yes and amazing recovery, the hospital staff was just so stupid I kept telling them what to give me and they refused, I said people on the street can get all kinds of drugs I'm a legitimate hip surgical patient and I can't get the meds that have been prescribed on schedule, I told them every three hours just bring them and nobody would listen so frustrating, but I'm a strong person it made me a stronger person, hardly taking any meds now that I'm home and I'm walking all over the house with no aids... I'll show em !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Amazing recovery so far.
There is a club here in Bonesmart
ODIC.
The Over Did It Club.
Careful you don't join it as many of us have.
Give them hips a wee chance so early out.
Well done so far.
Joe....
 
Wow, Gail.....No AIDS.....you are strong! At 2 weeks post op today I'm still trying to ditch the walker. I thought I graduated to the cane this past Saturday but I think I overdid it that day trying to gain access to the ODIC as @Irish Joe warned about! I was sore that evening and the next morning. I'm sure the change in gait and weight bearing is different from the walker to the cane. Was down to one Tylenol 500 at bedtime and ramped it up that evening to 1000mg and now doing one 500mg one in the a.m. one in the p.m. For me personally.....it's hard to take drugs. Just have a hard time putting them in my mouth...ha! I kept track of my Aleve usage before surgery. I mean I'd go weeks without it. Not trying to be tough, or brave, but worry about the side effects some of this stuff brings. I cherish my liver, kidneys and intestinal tract. I guess I'm a little paranoid in this area.....I'll admit it. I wonder, are we to medicate to the point of zero pain......anyone? I can have some discomfort walking around but it's bearable to me. I do believe I may have a higher pain threshold than the average bear but I have my weaknesses too, as we all do. Do you experience pain without using aids this early on? I realize after hearing over and again that we all heal differently for various reasons but your recovery sounds extraordinary!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Irish Joe and Layla, LOL I am trying not to become a member of the ODIC club, I was very tired my third day out, but I just stop and sleep when I can and I'm sleeping very well. Last night I climbed 13 stairs to my bedroom 1 foot over the other never stopping only using the railing. It does amaze me how much energy it takes from your body to put towards healing, but I am being good, icing and elevating and taking my meds on schedule. Glad I don't have sleep issues or bathroom issues and all that just resolved itself. I am trying to putter about the house, doing a few dishes and laundry, then I sit and rest, every time I do something then I sit and rest. It's starting to tick me off but then I realize what my body has been through and it's only been five days. IT band zingers are getting less and less and my right foot is almost completely awake, it was very tingly from the boot that they tighten down on it for the surgery itself… Took a few days to wake up but it's good to go. I peeked at one of my incision it's got to be less than 4 inches glued and beautiful .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Layla, very little pain when walking with no aids, the only odd feeling I get is at the outsides of my thighs, almost electrical in nature, from the IT band trying to stabilize me laterally I guess he displaced it quite a bit. As long as I walk straight and slow and try to keep everything tucked together like my butt and my hips I have zero pain… No speed but zero pain LOL


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou Those nap attacks do pop up at inconvenient times of the day .... and alas can go on and on for quite along time after surgery. I think I had those for 3-4 months after my BTHR though they did get less and less frequent over time. And yes it is your body saying "time to heal" so just go with it :)

It does sound like you are doing very well and that is wonderful to hear :yes!: :flwrysmile: :egypdance:
 
@djklaugh thanks for checking in on me and yes I find the Nap attacks astounding, this morning I got up had my breakfast my meds my coffee and lay down and took a two-hour nap LOL woke up feeling great, just had a shower, the hardest part is washing my feet and trying to get all the tape residue off of the rest of my body my Gosh I don't think there was anything they did not put tape on, she even told me they tape your eyes shut so none of the flying debris from the sawing and drilling gets in there, good thing we are asleep through it all… Most of us anyway


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom