July 2012 - Are You Having Knee Surgery in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Born Again to the July 3rd club. That makes three of us on the same day. I'm with you...I can hardly wait to get it done and get on with life
 
Hi BornAgain! Both DogLady & I are on July 3rd as well. Like you, I am nervous but REALLY looking forward to having a new lease on life. Sometimes I find myself staring at people walking by with envy. They just walk, not limp, no grimace of pain, no gritting teeth, just walking... I cannot wait for that to be me!
 
...REALLY looking forward to having a new lease on life. Sometimes I find myself staring at people walking by with envy. They just walk, not limp, no grimace of pain, no gritting teeth, just walking... I cannot wait for that to be me!

My thoughts exactly!
 
I'm scheduled to have BTKR on July 31. I tried to avoid this by doing PT (four different therapists over 2 years) and arthroscopy and had cortisone and "visco supplement" injections, but the pain has gotten worse. I force myself to be as active as I can, but the price is dear--constant pain, even keeps me up at night. Soooo, I've got 8 weeks of waiting. I'm also unemployed, so I'm anxious about getting this done not only so I can return to biking and hiking and the activities I love, but also so I can become employable!

I'm interested in knowing how best to use these next eight weeks in terms of any PT or other physical/mental prep.

This is a cool site.
 
I am having a LTKR on July 9th.

I went to the doctor a year and a half ago thinking they would just poke around in my knee, suck out some loose cartilage and I'd be good to go. But instead they sprung this surprise on me. :cry: They told me to come back when I was ready. I stalled as long as I could, and called the Dr. in March. It took two months to get an appointment, and he was booking another two months out on surgeries. So I am going to be much more than ready to get this done!

I was nervous before, but now I am so anxious to be able to take the silly dog for a walk. He will be happy, too. :biggrin:
 
Welcome to all you new folks!!! We're glad you're here. It would be good for each of you to start a thread of your own in the pre-op (or post-op, if that's appropriate) forum and tell us more about yourself!!!
 
Hello, fxguy, and welcome to the forum. We are happy you have joined us. Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a blue oblong with "New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a dialogue box. You determine a title and then proceed to tell us a little about yourself.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can find you to post to.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread.
 
HI. My name is Larry, I am 65 and retired because of my knee for 2 years. Tried all the shots with no improvement. I worked at a job for 40 years that required constant walking on concrete and the pain got too bad. I have been over weight all my life, but my surgeon said that was no reason to delay any longer and I trust him as I have been seeing him for 4years and he is just now suggesting TKR on my right knee. He did Menicus repair on my lert knee 3 years ago and it went great. Anyway I just set surgery for July18 and am relieved to have made the decission. I have watched all the vidieos on line and will be active on this site as I have lots of time on my hands.
 
Hello, Larry, and welcome to the forum. We are happy you have joined us. Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a blue oblong with "New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a dialogue box. You determine a title and then proceed to tell us a little about yourself.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can find you to post to. We also have a lot of essential info to pass along to you when you develop your own thread.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread.
 
Hi all - new here, and wanted to join the July gang. I'll be having a LTKR on JULY 30!! I'm anxious, and naturally scared, but can't wait to be out of pain - and I'm prepared to be patient and take time to recover properly.

Will be following this thread right up until the surgery. Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

Lindsay
 
I'm having my pre op meeting on June 11 and we are scheduled for a RTKR for the 3rd of July. Oh how nice it will be to walk without a walker again. Looking forward to getting this done and over with but at the same time a little worried/scared but have plenty of faith, this will be my first real surgery of any type. I'm not looking forward to the recovery pain but it's just part of the process and I know it won't last that long. Sure have done a lot of reading and learning from this site and have to give a big thank you to Josephine for sending/showing me all the reading material on here. They have already told me that they are going to admit me into the hospital a day early so I can start the IV antibiotic due to the infection I had in the knee. How nice it will be to walk on the beach with my bride again and to get back to a normal life once again. :thumb:

Couldn't have said it better myself! Hope you have an smooth recovery and are walking on the beach by end of summer - or beginning of fall.

Take care,

Lindsay
 
Wishing you all of the best for your July surgeries.
Here is initial list for July.


JULY SURGERY LIST

Week 1
July 03 DogLady (Maggie-Lee)
July 05 JayLyn


Week 2
July 09 truckinguy (first knee)
July 13 laf1958

Week 3
July 18 truckinguy (second knee)
July 18 ERDocsMom

Week 4
July 23 vegasmomof3 (Margie)
July 24 hbark (Howard)
July 25 Nyland

Week 5
Your name here :biggrin:

 
Updated the list. Hopefully, my pain pill muddled brain got it right.

JULY SURGERY LIST
Week 1
July 02 Tommy464
July 03 DogLady (Maggie-Lee)
July 03 BornAgain1997
July 03 fxguy
July 03 wednesday210
July 05 JayLyn

Week 2
July 09 truckinguy (first knee)
July 09 LucyBelle
July 10 nysparkle
July 12 Scarey
July 13 laf1958
July 13 mamakat

Week 3
July 17 RAM
July 18 truckinguy (second knee probable)
July 18 ERDocsMom
July 18 larryf (Larry)

Week 4
July 23 vegasmomof3 (Margie)
July 23 Zel
July 24 hbark (Howard)
July 25 Nyland

Week 5
July 30 Wants to Walk (Lindsay)
July 31 BikerAnn

Week ?
Kneedylady
 
Good luck everyone for July, I am not only post op (TRKR 7th June) I am also pre-op for my left knee. I dont have a date yet but my surgeon said it would be around 3 months after the first knee so I am probably looking at September-ish.
I am so looking forward to Christmas and being able to do things without having to sit down every few seconds or so.
I admire all your positive determination its the only way to go, of course its natural to be nervous, I was a wreck and its not a walk in the park once you have the op but it can only get better and you will never be in the same arthritic pain again.
I am only 2 weeks post op so have a long, long way to go and wont start my physio till thursday, my staples are coming out the same day and I feel that after that is done, there is closure on the operation and after that there is nothing to do but go forward.
I will come back from time to time to check in on all the July sparklers.
Best wishes to all,
Viv xx:)
 
Hello to all the new July folks. It's going to be a great month! Well actually August might be better...by then we will all be well on our way to recovery.
 
I have a date! Not June as I hoped, but 31st July. Apparently the surgeon has had a lot of turmoil going on on his operating list, as well as being on holiday for the first two weeks of July, so he is four weeks behind. It has meant that I have had to re-book my trip to the Mid West of the USA from October 2012 to May 2013, but at least I won't be under pressure to get well faster than the knee wants to go, and I should, with luck, be in good shape by then.
I am disapointed that the TKR is not sooner, but at least I now have a date to work towards.
 
Good for you!!! Let the planning begin!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom