TKR Jtmav‘s Journey To Two New Knees

Thanks, went to have X-rays and meet with a NP on my surgeons team this past Thursday. All went well, X-rays looked good, walking without a crutch with a good gait and the wound is healing well. She was confident that I will have a good recovery. I’m very grateful for how things have worked out as well as the support and education I get here. Hope you all have a nice long weekend.
 
I have a question to the veterans in the group. I have dealt with congenital spinal stenosis most of my adult life. Have managed it but when it flares up I am pretty much out of commission for as little as a couple of days to a week or more. During all of my recovery from both TKRs I have slept in a recliner with no back problems at all. This past week I decided to try and get back to sleeping in bed. That turned out to be problematic as I had a very bad lower back reaction to that decision. I had a PT appointment that I limped into and she worked on my back and not my knee. While she provided short term relief, she speculated that so many of my muscles have been adjusting to my sleep posture that the shock of a more horizontal position triggered the back pain. She recommended going back to the recliner and slowly transition to less elevation on my legs, which she said your knee may or may not like, before you try the bed again. My question is with two new knees and both legs now straighter could this impact spinal alignment? I assume over time my posture will adjust, just curious if anyone here has a similar story. Thanks for any help.
 
Last edited:
I am sorry you're dealing with back pain and wish I had some helpful advice, but sadly I don't.
Try using the SEARCH (top right of page) and type in spinal stenosis if you want to look over threads where its been mentioned.
Hope you find relief soon!
 
My question is with two new knees and both legs now straighter could this impact spinal alignment? I assume over time my posture will adjust
Having your legs straighter should hopefully improve your spinal alignment in the longer term- but in these early days any changes can cause pain as muscles adapt.
I have pretty bad spinal stenosis and I had very bad sciatica when I was very knock kneed. What I found helpful was regular pilates and back strength work ( cobra/ sphinx pose/ back extensions). These were really difficult early on until I could get up and down easily. I still find thin knee cushions important to support my knees when I am on the floor.
 
My question is with two new knees and both legs now straighter could this impact spinal alignment? I assume over time my posture will adjust
Having your legs straighter should hopefully improve your spinal alignment in the longer term- but in these early days any changes can cause pain as muscles adapt.
I have pretty bad spinal stenosis and I had very bad sciatica when I was very knock kneed. What I found helpful was regular pilates and back strength work ( cobra/ sphinx pose/ back extensions). These were really difficult early on until I could get up and down easily. I still find thin knee cushions important to support my knees when I am on the floor.
Thanks for your response. I need to ”put the fire out” before I can do any kind of exercise. Before my surgeries I was pretty consistent with stretches and cycled quite a bit as well. This period of inactivity has consequences and I think this may be one of them. Appreciate your advice.
 
Many of us have spinal stenosis and have tried different things to help us through our TKR recoveries. I found that doing pelvic tilts before getting out of bed in the mornings help a lot. I can tell a difference when I don't do them. You can google them to find out how to do them.
 
Hi jtmav,
Two months already since the Right TKR.
I hope both knees are doing well and you're enjoying some nice Summer weather.
Happy Two Month Anniversary...have a wonderful week! :)
@Jtmav
 
Thanks for thinking of me. Slow and steady more like a tortoise than a hare. Spending some time on Cape Cod so I haven’t been going to PT but I have been walking a couple of miles a day which seems to be helpful. Sleeping back in bed as well. The newer knee is still quite stiff and even the older has some work to do. All in all no complaints. I have accepted the year long recovery plan so I still have some challenges ahead. Getting up stairs normally but coming down one at a time still. Hope all is well with you and your summer is off to a good start. The weather through most of the country has been tough, but here it was a beautiful Spring and a nice start to Summer, my favorite time of the year. Again thanks. Be well.
 
That walking is PT, so don't worry about not going to formal PT. Just doing your daily activities is natural PT, using your knee as it was intended to be used.
 
Thanks for thinking of me. Slow and steady more like a tortoise than a hare. Spending some time on Cape Cod so I haven’t been going to PT but I have been walking a couple of miles a day which seems to be helpful. Sleeping back in bed as well. The newer knee is still quite stiff and even the older has some work to do. All in all no complaints. I have accepted the year long recovery plan so I still have some challenges ahead. Getting up stairs normally but coming down one at a time still. Hope all is well with you and your summer is off to a good start. The weather through most of the country has been tough, but here it was a beautiful Spring and a nice start to Summer, my favorite time of the year. Again thanks. Be well.
Hello my friend! So glad you stopped by to give us an update! Walking a couple of miles a day? Excellent therapy sir! I am very proud of your progress as you should be. As @sistersinhim said, and I’ll concur, use those knees! Keep your eye on the prize sir, you got this!
Never been to Cape Cod, but hear it is gorgeous. Enjoy yourself, with what you have been through, you deserve it! God bless sir!
 
Hi again jtmav, :wave:
Lucky you! I Love Cape Cod! Hubs and I have been several times. I think Chatham is my fave although I love many other areas also. I’m sure you’re enjoying your time there. The weather here (Upper Midwest) was horrible last week, seems like it rained hard every day. Lots of flooding going on now because of it. This week has been nice so far with a few cooler days coming up, with low humidity, my fave!

You’re making steady progress and thankfully you’re practicing patience with a realistic view of the recovery timeline. Walking a couple miles a day is awesome, as is finding comfort in your bed once again. Stairs will come with time.

It’s always nice to hear from you and I’m happy you’re doing well. Stay safe and enjoy your getaway.
@Jtmav
 
Thanks to all of you very special friends. The Cape has been a special place for our family. We’ve been blessed to have a little cottage by the water for the last 38 summers. My kids grew up here during the summer and way back I met my wife here on the Cape. Best medicine no doctor can prescribe to quote Jimmy Buffet. Nice to catch up, all of you stay well and thanks again for thinking of me.
 
Thanks for thinking of me. Slow and steady more like a tortoise than a hare. Spending some time on Cape Cod so I haven’t been going to PT but I have been walking a couple of miles a day which seems to be helpful. Sleeping back in bed as well. The newer knee is still quite stiff and even the older has some work to do. All in all no complaints. I have accepted the year long recovery plan so I still have some challenges ahead. Getting up stairs normally but coming down one at a time still. Hope all is well with you and your summer is off to a good start. The weather through most of the country has been tough, but here it was a beautiful Spring and a nice start to Summer, my favorite time of the year. Again thanks. Be well.
Hello my friend! So glad you stopped by to give us an update! Walking a couple of miles a day? Excellent therapy sir! I am very proud of your progress as you should be. As @sistersinhim said, and I’ll concur, use those knees! Keep your eye on the prize sir, you got this!
Never been to Cape Cod, but hear it is gorgeous. Enjoy yourself, with what you have been through, you deserve it! God bless sir!
Hello to you Jake, never been to Iowa but I hear that’s beautiful as well. Cant say it’s been easy but seeing little progress is all I need. Tend to forget how tough it was before the new knees. I hope you, your family and the girls are all doing well and not suffering from some of this severe weather many are enduring. Also last I heard you were working on a project and looking for funding is that still in the works? I hope so it sounded so worthwhile. Stay strong my Hawkeye friend and be well.
 
Thanks for thinking of me. Slow and steady more like a tortoise than a hare. Spending some time on Cape Cod so I haven’t been going to PT but I have been walking a couple of miles a day which seems to be helpful. Sleeping back in bed as well. The newer knee is still quite stiff and even the older has some work to do. All in all no complaints. I have accepted the year long recovery plan so I still have some challenges ahead. Getting up stairs normally but coming down one at a time still. Hope all is well with you and your summer is off to a good start. The weather through most of the country has been tough, but here it was a beautiful Spring and a nice start to Summer, my favorite time of the year. Again thanks. Be well.
Hello my friend! So glad you stopped by to give us an update! Walking a couple of miles a day? Excellent therapy sir! I am very proud of your progress as you should be. As @sistersinhim said, and I’ll concur, use those knees! Keep your eye on the prize sir, you got this!
Never been to Cape Cod, but hear it is gorgeous. Enjoy yourself, with what you have been through, you deserve it! God bless sir!
Hello to you Jake, never been to Iowa but I hear that’s beautiful as well. Cant say it’s been easy but seeing little progress is all I need. Tend to forget how tough it was before the new knees. I hope you, your family and the girls are all doing well and not suffering from some of this severe weather many are enduring. Also last I heard you were working on a project and looking for funding is that still in the works? I hope so it sounded so worthwhile. Stay strong my Hawkeye friend and be well.
Hey @Jtmav! I read the 1st, 8th, 17th and 28th words in this post and it screams “you haven’t updated in a while” :rotfl: :heehee: I will go do that today. Who would have ever thought, something like joint replacements could bring us all together in a world where we need all the friends and community we can get. Bless you sir!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary on your last TKR.
I hope both knees are doing well and you're slowly getting back to all that you love and enjoying the Summer.
Feels like it's fleeting as we approach August.
Wishing you many blessings, ENJOY! :)
@Jtmav
 
Layla you’re the best! I am making slow progress and have stopped Physical Therapy. I have been going to the gym 3-4 times a week and riding the stationary bike for 45 mins. During the ride I lower the seat every 5-10 mins and I see some progress with my newer right knee. Still having some IT Band issues with the right hip/back. Going up the stairs is no issue but coming down is a bit more of a challenge still. I think in a month or so I’ll should be back on my real bike. I have an appointment with my surgeon coming up on August 13 for a routine once over. Grateful that slowly life is getting a bit more normal and I have been enjoying the summer weather on the Cape, my favorite time of the year. I still check in on all of you often, hope my friend Jake is coming along as well. Thanks for thinking of me, be well.
 
Sounds like you are doing great!
 
I'm happy to read you're doing so well and it's always a pleasure to hear from you.
Best wishes for your appointment on the 13th! :)
@Jtmav
 
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted but today I had fresh X-rays and visits with both my NP and surgeon. The before and after X-rays were startling in the difference. Just for some who don’t know the history, I am 6 1/2 months since my first TKR and 3 1/2 from my second. Both the surgeons and the NP were very pleased with my recovery so far. I stopped PT last June and started riding a stationary bike 45 mins 3-4 times a week coupled with calf, hamstring and quad stretches. They thought that was a good plan but as of today the surgeon said I could get back on my road bike and see how it feels. His quote was “ no restrictions go live your life”. Can’t ask for more than that. I have room for improvement for sure when it comes to ROM, but I am seeing small improvements and I learned from my guides here that time is the most important part of recovery and I am little more than half way to the year long goal. That’s it from me but if you’re feeling disheartened or discouraged, and I had a pity party or two myself, take heart you WILL get better just need to be patient. Be well
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom