TKR Joy's Recovery thread<

We're here for you when you get back!
 
Surgery Day Update: Surgery was at 1:30p. I received a presurgery cocktail of Versed - loved it. Once in the surgery room I was given a Spinal. That hurt! I was sitting up and had to bend over to open up my spine. A wonderful nurse was talking me through it by saying sweet things to me and assuring me how successful I’ll be. But I still kept barking out lots of “ouches!” I then heard the anesthesiologist ask to give me more of something to make me more comfortable. Next thing I knew it was 4pm and I was in recovery. Lol

When I woke up in Recovery I felt no pain. The nerve block works wonderfully! Then by 5p I was in my room. Still feeling great! By 6pm PT was here and we walked up/down the hall. I went 120ft. To walk on a new knee, with no pain, is such a good feeling. After that I had dinner then noticed slight muscle pain in my calf. I knew the nerve block and surgery meds were beginning to wear off. I told my nurse and she began my pain med regime. A lower dose of Norco to start.

I then used the bathroom. An aide helped me walk to the bathroom. I used the lower toilet seat and it worked fine. I let my nonoperated leg due most of the work along with my arms.

I’m back in bed and relaxing. Around 8p muscle pain in calf and now thigh but it’s manageable. I wanted to catch this pain before it got too bad so asked for more pain meds. Around 9p I was given Percocet. It’s about 45 min later and I can feel it as I’m getting sleepy. Leg pain very manageable.

I feel very successful today. Time to get some sleep.
 
Off to a good start! Hope you had a good sleep and wake ready to start back to your new normal pain free life. No rush though!
 
Welcome to recovery, @Joy77 .
It sounds as if things are going well.

Here is your recovery reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
It’s morn now, @Joy77 . I hope you were able to get some rest. Keep up on your pain meds and let us know how you are!
 
Welcome to recovery! It sounds like you're off to a good start!
 
@Celle Thank you for the reading list! I'll make good use of it.

Well, I'm home from the hospital. I got the best rest in the hospital, surprisingly. My leg had minimal pain, the nurses made sure I got my meds, and slept comfortably. I got up to use the restroom and had no problem with using a regular toilet seat - not raised. I had some pain but pushed off from the toilet seat and used my good leg to lift me to standing.

This morning was my day of discharge. PT came by to assess me. I'm not sure how to state the ROM #'s but I know I'm at 0 degrees and 90 degrees. The PT was happy. I think I got that because I had minimal pain and swelling. He then had me try a stair. I was nervous for the pain but I got up and down one step. I then walked a full circles around the nurses station - 120 feet. He said since I did all that and my ROM is good I can go home. About an hour later the pain began. It had been feeling so good but just doing the PT work made my leg angry. My thigh and calf hurt horribly. The nurse gave me all the Percocet she could (5mg - 325mg take 1 table every 4 hrs or 2 tablets every 6 hrs). I took 2. I had to then sit around for discharge. During that time I kept the ice machine on it to keep it cool. I included a picture of the ice machine. The cooler part holds ice and water. The tube brings cold water to the wrap around my knee. It feels so good. The hospital gives me the Ice Machine to take home for keeps. Love it.

An Internal Medicine doctor came by and reviewed my overall health. He said my blood pressure has been running low. It's in the ok range but at the bottom of it. If it gets lower he'd have to keep me. But it remained ok. My CBC came back with low RBC - 3.41Mill/mcL, HGB - 10.9g/dL, HCT, - 33.1% but they said that expected after this surgery and I'll bounce those numbers back up. Then the Ortho P.A. came by and said I was doing very well with my ROM and walking. We talked pain medication and he chose to keep me on Percocet.

A few hours later I left for home. My leg was doing ok but it was very painful in the thigh and calf area. I'm sure it's because the nerve block completely wore off. Boy was that block nice. With the nerve block I kept my strength but had no/minimal pain. I got in the car carefully and with pain. The nurse told me to take a Percocet when I got in the car. If I took it while in the room they'd have to keep me another hour. So as soon as I could I popped another Percocet. I got home, got settled in bed, and that's where I am now. I can use the walker to get to the bathroom, use the toilet without a raised seat and get back to bed - but it is very painful. The instructions when I left was to get up and take a walk, even a short one, once an hour, which I have been doing. My leg is sore but minimal swelling. I'm keeping it raised and iced. Not much else to report. I'm on Percocet so there's things I probably forgot. lol I will set my phone alarm to be sure I take my pain meds through the night. I will use the ice machine off/on during the night.

Thanks for everyone's support. And especially thank you to this forum. It's normalized so much of my experiences which reduces anxiety.

Blessings to all.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Joy's Recovery thread<
    IMG_2420.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 206
@InkedMarie when I do sleep I seem to sleep well which I like. I'm getting sleep in about 4-5 hour segments then the pain wakes me.

I wish there was a way to find people who've had their surgery near me so I can get a better understanding of what's normal for right now. There was an August group but not sure how to find that now. Even if we had surgery dates in our subject line it would be helpful. But that's just my thoughts. I'm finding myself quickly going through lots of posts searching for August and now Early September surgeries. Not that everyone else doesn't have good input, you all do, it's just takes so much time to scroll back to everyone's beginning process when they had surgery a year or so ago.

Anyway, Seems the pain has really reared it's head. My surgery leg hurts so bad. I called the "on call" nurse line to see if there was anything stronger I could take (I'm on Percocet 5/325 - take 2 every 6 hours) but she told me I had to go to ER. I let her know there was no way I could get in a car, go to ER and wait my turn with everyone who has colds and the flu, which generally takes hours. No Empathy. She said she'd have to put in my record I'm going against medical advice. lol I told her to go ahead. Right now I'm taking my Percocet 1 hour ahead of schedule.. at 5 hours instead of 6. That seems to help as long as I don't move. If I have to slide off the bed it's terrible. I'm guessing this is normal knowing I had surgery 2 days ago. My lower back is beginning to hurt. I try moving to my side but can't hold that position very long. It still hurts my calf to prop it up on something so it's hard to keep my leg raised.

When I have to go to the bathroom it's scary. The thought of getting off the bed and using the toilet is so painful.. but I do it. Actually once I'm standing it feels better because nothing is touching my leg. Getting back in bed is difficult but I do it.

That's it for now. I'm keeping my leg iced and going to try to take a nap. I tell myself every moment that passes are more moments of healing.

Blessings to all
 
@Joy77 i am an August TKR too, I had my surgery August 16. Welcome to this side of surgery. It is a rollercoaster ride for sure but I can say that even with the ups and downs I am seeing some spots of sunshine. Hang in there.
 
My PT showed me a good tip for lifting operated leg off bed- turn a stick (cane in US language?) round, hook the handle round your foot and swing the whole leg down. Works well. Leg supported and minimal discomfort. I didn't need to do that for long. My quads just improved a lot and took over. Good luck.
 
Hi Joy,
I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.

Early days can be extremely painful, I remember mine and how much it hurt when I stood up, the pain would literally feel like it was running down my leg.

And oh my, that person on the phone threatening to label you non compliant because you wouldn’t go to the ER for pain medicine. :doh:I wouldn’t have gone either.

I don’t really know an easy way to find others with surgery close to yours. I looked on the pre op forum at the August list, but I didn’t always recognize the user names, not every member comes back and starts a recovery thread. I will work on that for you and see who I come up with. Give me a day or so. :console2:
 
Or you can use your inoperative leg to under your operative leg to help lift it from floor to bed . That is what I did the very early days.
 
@Joy77. I too used my non surgical leg to help lift my leg up onto the bed.They showed us how to do this in a pre surgery PT class.It takes a little practice.

I know you asked before about the raised toliet seat.I didn't have one on the Saturday I came home and by Sunday I was dreading getting up to pee.I was so thirsty and kept drinking a lot so I had to get up a lot.Every time it would send pain roaring through my leg and it would take awhile to calm down.

On Monday morning my husband went to a medical supply store and bought me. the raised toliet and installed.it( takes like 5 minutes).

The next time I went to pee I stayed sitting there for a few minutes and I almost burst into tears from relief.

This was without question the best item anyone has ever bought me hands down.

I hope the pain starts to back off soon for you.:console2:
 
I've used my "Linus blanket" (very old, soft, thin cotton blanket), an old dog leash and a soft, thick boat line to lasso around my leg and lift it off the bed. Unfortunately, everything you're going through is perfectly normal (and everyone goes through it), but it will get better. It takes a while to figure out how to maneuver, sleep, place your pillows, etc. Make sure you elevate and ice; those are the two most important things you can do.
 
Ok, here is a list of some active members who have had surgery in August:

DLR
InkedMarie
Momweb
tarajenni
Kathy0427
Ricekrispy
Minnie's Knees
79newknees
awalsh123

Some of them have posted to you.

I’m not sure what all their thread titles are, but you’ll see their username.

While it’s nice to get a point of reference, be careful not to compare yourself to them and what they can do. Different issues can be addressed in surgery that can affect recovery, all kinds of things can be different. We are each on our own healing journey and will get there in the end!
 
@Joy77 I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
@Joy77 I’m so sorry you’re in so much pain. I agree about the ER. I wouldn’t have gone either.

We all have our own journey. I’m newly pre-op too but mine is different from yours. We are all here for you and we care.
 
Even if we had surgery dates in our subject line it would be helpful.
If you go down to the bottom of each post, you'll see the surgery dates listed right before the blue line giving their user name and the time of their post.
 
@Jockette you are so sweet to find those members! Thank you!

I've attached a photo of what the hospital gave me to help lift my leg. It works real well! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

[Bonesmart.org] Joy's Recovery thread<


I guess I want to know that this pain in normal and I will survive. I tell myself that each day that passes is a day of healing.



@Josephine yes, feel free to ask me questions.. Thank you
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom