TKR Joyfull61's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions @Josephine? I'm not sure if this is normal or if I need to do more or do less. I know there's a wide range of normal, but it seems like most people are over this type of discomfort by now.
 
My OS told me that swelling could occur for up to 18 months to some degree. I think that you might want to back off your walking/exercising for a bit to see if that helps with the pain. You have nothing to lose by trying that because what you are doing isn't working.
 
I'm so sorry. I wasn't well yesterday and had to take a day off.
Since then. I kept thinking it was just a part of the process. It's only when the knees are bending.
I see. Well it seems like you have a good case of the following
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues
Psoas pain

My suggestion is that you find a good hands on chiropractor who will give you some deep massage to the area.
Or you could try to do it yourself. Acupressure massage
 
Thanks @newlybionic and @Josephine.

I think you're correct and both IT bands are irritated and tired of my shenanigans. I'm going to head back to the elevator at work and start doing the stretches I did the FIRST time I had IT band issues as well as ice and all the other recommendations.

:bawl:I'll never learn.
 
Thanks, @Dearjr. I got out my trusty foam roller from my running days and have been rolling my IT bands, shifting some of the movement to my quads, and slowing it down a bit on my walks. I'm also working to lose all the weight I've gained over the past year. Getting the weight off should help more than anything. Oy. It's amazing how much weight one can gain from a couple of years of greatly reduced physical activity.
 
Yesterday was community volunteer day at my company. I helped paint the lobby of the local children's theater. It was fun and great to be able to do such a normal activity. My energy was sucked out of my body by late afternoon, but it was worth it! I iced overnight and other than a little stiffness in my right knee which is almost 10 months old, no lingering effects today.

Yay for continued recovery. :egypdance:
 
Great, to think ahead a few months to be able to do such things! Thanks for the glimpse of the future.
 
I am looking so forward to doing those kind of things again!
 
I just went down 5 flights of stairs with my one year old knee and felt great
Hope you continue to do all the things you want to
 
I can't wait for the time to come when I can go an entire day without thinking about one of these knees. It's rainy today and both are cranky. :blackcloud:
 
Big milestone yesterday. I walked for a solid 101 minutes and did a little over five miles. The best news is that I can still walk today and there's no extra swelling. I slept with my eight-hour ice packs strapped to my knees and took 600 mg. of ibuprofen before going to bed.

This gives me hope that I'll be able to get my speed up enough to walk a half-marathon next spring.

:happydance:
 
Whooppee! What a wonderful accomplishment! You go girl!
 
Two days later, and still no swollen legs or feet. That is a first. I'm telling you, it's all about the ice!:yes!:
 
I officially folded up my cane and packed it away. I've kept it near my basement steps because they're stupid steep and there is no handrail (100 year old house). It hasn't been used in a couple of months, so it's time it was retired.

I can go up the stairs depending solely on the strength of my legs without holding onto the wall or a cane. I still go down the steps backwards most days! The steepness hurts my IT bands if I go down the correct way. That, too, is slowly improving.

Healing is such a long process.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom