TKR Journey of a slow healer

Thanks for taking the time to share all of the useful tips! I am certain many will benefit from them.

As far as Lymphatic Massage goes we have a professional on board that can explain how to do it yourself at home also. I will tag @CricketHip for you. She can share the easy process for you to try, if interested.

The silicone strips sound very interesting and thankfully the Magnesium helped with the spasms before it fizzled out on you.

You're on your way, Tentcamper! :)
@Tentcamper
 
Great post, @Tentcamper, with helpful info for those behind you!

Please keep us posted on your continued recovery.

:flwrysmile:
 
Lymphatic massage - thanks loads to @JusticeRider for mentioning this. I had never heard of it. It's a type of massage that helps reduce swelling using a special massage technique. I've now had two sessions and the muscle swelling is slowly receding. My massage artist works my quad above my knee as well as the swelling to get things to loosen up.
I’m so glad it’s working well for you! ❤️ I personally wouldn’t do another joint replacement without it.
 
We have to take solace in little improvements and celebrate them, so today I'm doing just that. The picture attached shows two deeper wrinkles in the valley between two humps of swelling. Those wrinkles are a sign that there is no swelling there! And, I drove 15 minutes to the vet and had no pain at all. It's usually at a 3 or 4 after driving. :happydance:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey of a slow healer
    20230802_100623.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 79
You are doing well to continue the Manual Lymphatic Drainage sessions . (MLD) That gentle modality is so powerful and it will help to reduce your inflammation, etc.
I hope your therapist is activating the lymph nodes in your groin also?
I'm here if you have any questions about anything MLD related.
I'm sorry I missed your earlier posts on your recovery thread, we have been traveling and playing in the sun.
Thank you @Layla for tagging me.
 
Great news, Tentcamper!
It is definitely those small victories that spur us on. Driving is a pain, pun intended, post joint replacement. The tight confines of a vehicle with not much room to shift position or get comfortable, wears you out quickly. Great progress…keep it up!
@Tentcamper
 
@CricketHip I hope your play time was fun! Thanks for the offer to help. I'm actually switching therapists at the end of August. I don't think the one I have now is very good so I'll make sure the new one also gets the groin area.
 
Yes! Look for a Certified Manual Lymphatic Drainage Therapist. Not someone who took a “weekend course”
But happy that the one who initially helped got you through some tough days. It’s all good.
 
Nothing wrong with ‘shopping around’ a bit to find the right therapist. The first one I went to didn’t work for me, but the second one was incredible and helped me so much. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
 
Ah yes, trying another swelling resolution on the poor knee. I have subjected it to so many wackadoodle things. The latest is localized cryotherapy and it has given me the best results so far. The cold delivered deep into my muscles seems to do the trick. Two of three of my swollen spots are much less swollen. I'm doing a lymphatic massage in a couple weeks to see if that will also help.

I've decided to do a scraping on my scar to release the scar tissue which I have quite a bit of. I've had it done before on my shoulders so I know it is unpleasant but I'm trying to reduce the variables to just swelling that is holding up my ROM. More to come. I am bound and determined to heal this knee without further action from my OS.
 
Good news and result with the cryotherapy. I hope the lymphatic massage helps also.
You get an A+ for determination.
Have a great weekend, Tentcamper!
@Tentcamper
 
I have found magic! My PT scrapped my lower leg and scar. The next day I had no pulling on the right side of my knee and I could walk like a human (as opposed to Frankenstein) for the first time in 2.5 months. I can drive longer distances without any pain at all. I am dancing! :happydance:
 
TentCamper, thanks for keeping us updated! I’m reading along and rooting for you! Your determination and faith is going to get you through this.

We slow healers just have to be relentless and keep moving, no matter how

slow

we have to
go! :climb:
 
Last edited:
Sounds awesome. I love how you reach a roadblock, figure out a new route and push past. Very uplifting!! Never stop chasing that next goal:loveshwr:
 
The third month has been eventful. My focus was to figure out alternate methods to reduce the swelling. I loaded my toolbox up with PT, massage, scraping, silicone tape, The Lounge Doctor, lymphatic massage, and localized cryogenics. I then tossed everything that either didn’t work or things that worked for a short time.

What’s left in my toolbox is PT, lymphatic massage, scar tape, and localized cryogenics. I’m still on the fence about the cryo so that will be something I work with in the coming month.

Two frustrating things happened. One is that my intermittent vertigo came back and I tripped when I wasn’t doing well with balance. Of course, I landed on my surgical knee but I landed in soft grass so there was no damage except to water me off. The second frustration is my lack of progress with ROM. I’m still at 58-62 like I was last month. So I’ve added a lot more patience to my toolbox. It is still irritating and I did throw a pity party or two but I really have no choice but to let the knee (who is the boss) take whatever time it needs.

I stopped icing because it didn’t do anything. I kept the inflatable Lounge Doctor until I punctured not one, but two of them. I must have something poking out somewhere.

My scar looks really good and the work we’re doing in PT for the scar tissue is slowly loosening it up. With such a narrow bend I’ve developed a lot of scar tissue and getting rid of it should help my range.

I’ve been able to drive further without pain. I went to a restaurant and actually sat there for the meal which meant I could drink alcohol.. I paid for it the next day but it was worth it. I also moved my driver's seat forward just a bit. Yes! Another win.

I know, I’m on month three of 12 but I expected more healing by now. We all know what happens when we have unrealistic expectations. I’m looking forward to what month four brings. I have my check-in with my surgeon next week. That will be interesting.

And one last comment. I dearly love posts from those who are not in the US, mainly you UK people. You have such endearing words that are so different than what we have in the States. My favorite is ‘whilst’. I know there was a translation post somewhere talking about the difference between biscuits and digestive. I’ve learned that a jumper is a long-sleeved sweater or shirt and not a farmer john overall. It always makes me smile when I see these. Please keep it up.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom