TKR Journey of a slow healer

My surgeon is unusual in that he does give me time at follow- up, will answer questions clearly and explains things well. But even he tends to be a bit over optimistic about this recovery process.
I guess surgeons are largely focused on the hardware side and less interested in the muscle/ tendons issues that can severely impact recovery.
 
@JusticeRider That's so kind of you to check in. I have been holding off adding to my thread until my appointment on Monday. My ROM hit 60 in PT the other day which is a huge difference from 19 less than two months ago. I know my surgeon will blow it off but I'm drinking champagne and going dancing this weekend. We'll, maybe not the dancing part. Stay tuned! :martini:
 
Hey, congratulations on your improving bend! It’s coming slowly but surely…!
:yes!:

Enjoy the champagne and celebrating, and do let us know how it goes on Monday.
Have a great weekend!
 
Best Wishes for your appointment on Monday,Tentcamper!
We will look forward to your update.
Happy Wednesday!
@Tentcamper
 
Today is my two month anniversary. It seems to have crawled by sometimes but I am healing everyday.

My surgeon was not as dismissive as I expected. He acknowledged my progress with PT but had the same refrain as with most surgeons. Do the MUA or be stuck forever. He initially said I'd do just three days of PT but when I told him I wouldn't be able to drive he just said OK. It makes me shake my head.

I'm going to do like @JusticeRider and list what I can do.

The biggest thing is that I can now drive! This is crucial because I live alone. My max is 1/2 hour before it gets painful but I am now self sufficient. Woo hoo!

I can sleep on my side in my own bed. I can stand for three hours and sit for almost 1/2 hour. I don't need my hiking poles even when I do my 1/4 mile walk. ADL things like laundry and cooking don't tire me out. I don't need my strap to get on my bed or couch. My pain is well controlled but zingers and spasms still wake me up. I'm back to my regular sleep cycle. As I write this I am smiling. I really have come a long way.

My challenge is my ROM. Today I hit a new high of 63. My knee is still so swollen. PT has been understand and has not pushed me a lot. I've done acupuncture, and regular massage plus I'll do a lymphatic massage this week. Icing for an hour five times a day does nothing but I'll keep doing it. It can't hurt. I have a reaction to ibuprofen and acetaminophen so my surgeon said to try Voltaren gel for the inflammation. I'll let you know how that goes.

This journey tries my patience but seeing other people's challenges keeps me going. Thanks to all of you :loveshwr:
 
Overall I think this is a very good update! Continue to ice and elevate as much as you can to try and get that swelling down and your bend will improve.
 
Looking at what you can do - YES!!!! I think you're on the right path.
 
Great update, @Tentcamper ! Congratulations on driving…freedom!! It’s great that you’re sleeping better. Isn’t it wonderful when you can start sleeping on your side? :sleep:

So glad your ROM is inching its way up! With it still being swollen it may be very slow progress indeed till that resolves. Hooray for massage! Especially lymphatic drainage…so good for moving that swelling along. That was key for me personally.

I hope that Voltaren is really helpful for you! I did rely on NSAIDS for quite some time and if your stomach doesn’t like them, that might be a great solution. Let us know how it goes.

Wow, I can’t believe you can handle standing for THREE HOURS at only 2 months in. That’s amazing! And 1/4 mile walks! I think at 2 months I was so miserable and limited, I was struggling to walk a block. So your function is way ahead of where I was at that point :yes!:
You are going to rock this recovery, even if takes time. You got this!
 
What a great update. So much progress, Tentcamper!
Thanks for taking time to share. I looked for posts like yours while healing trying to find clues as to when I may be able to do this, or that. Driving is a big one and its great to regain that independence. :driver:
Have a wonderful week!
@Tentcamper
 
Thank you everyone! I am constantly amazed at the different challenges we all face and that we somehow soldier through them. @JusticeRider My issue with ibuprofen is listed under that heading of 'less common side effects'. If I take it on consecutive days I get upper body muscle weakness. I can barely raise my arms. I just wanted to document that in case someone else is having an issue.
 
I think overall you are doing well.
I certainly couldn't drive or stand as well as you can at your stage.
Focusing on functional recovery is definitely the way to go. It's good to record it as I find I easily forget where I was up to at X weeks.
 
Icing for an hour five times a day does nothing but I'll keep doing it. It can't hurt.
Here is a different view of icing and NSAIDs.

If you check the current wisdom on icing, you will find evidence that icing interferes with healing. It is fine soon after an injury but the issue is over long-term use. Heat for the muscles and brief icing of the joint may provide some help, but the numbness you feel after long icing indicates you have stopped the circulation. Try more movement instead to increase rather than decrease the circulation in the knee.

Incidentally you can also read about how NSAIDs interfere with healing. Inflammation is part of healing and not a bad thing. It is excessive inflammation which occurs early after an injury (surgery) that is problematic.
 
If you check the current wisdom on icing, you will find evidence that icing interferes with healing. It is fine soon after an injury but the issue is over long-term use.
This is true after an injury, but members here are not healing from an injury, they are healing from a very traumatic surgery that requires gentle movements, with icing and elevating to lower the swelling and inflammation. Heat feeds inflammation, ice restricts its growth.
 
Happy Sunday and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice weekend. Not too hot, not too cold, but just right! :wink:
Thanks for sharing your progress with us and for supporting others. It is much appreciated. It is what helps make the forum the success that it is.
A great week to you!
@Tentcamper
 
Wow, what a two months it has been! Today is absolutely lovely in the Pacific North West and I decided to take a longer walk. It turned into just over a mile and my past best was 1/4 mile! See what nice weather can do to a girl? Hopefully I won't be benched in ODIC tomorrow but for now I'm revealing in my accomplishment.
 
How are you doing after your nice long walk yesterday?
 
You should be fine in a couple of days. You can look back and see how good it was yesterday to help you get through these down days!
 
I wanted to document the things I've either tried or felt contributed to my recovery. Some of these things may help those who are looking for alternate ways to get rid of stubborn swelling.

Acupuncture - I had five sessions and all the external swelling (not muscle swelling) was soft and pliable. There was nothing that felt like a full balloon.

Lymphatic massage - thanks loads to @JusticeRider for mentioning this. I had never heard of it. It's a type of massage that helps reduce swelling using a special massage technique. I've now had two sessions and the muscle swelling is slowly receding. My massage artist works my quad above my knee as well as the swelling to get things to loosen up.

Silicone strips - these heal scars and I've been amazed at how well they work. After one week my scar is now a thin white line with puckers where there is scar tissue. I also use it to make it more comfortable when something touches my scar. It's still pretty tender.

Voltarin - this is a cream for arthritis pain and inflammation. You can get it over the counter. I found it didn't do a whole lot for me.

Magnesium - this helped me with spasms at night. It eventually stopped working but by the time that happened my spasms were pretty much gone.

People have already discussed ice machines, the strap to hoist your log of a leg until your quads are strong, ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain (although I have reactions to both - muscle weakness or nausea), stationary bike or peddler (invaluable!), and the importance of getting enough protein.

Good luck to all of you who are just trying to heal when your body is stubborn.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom