TKR Journey of a slow healer

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one with stubborn swelling.
 
My appointment with the surgeon went surprisingly well. He had x-rays done and saw no issues even with my fall. I asked him to let me continue with PT and he agreed. I let PT be more aggressive in my last appointment and ROM went from 58 cold to 64 warm. This is such a learning journey! I can stretch myself further than I thought and not put myself in more pain. The surgeon doesn't want to see me for 3 months and who knows how well I will have done by then.
 
Month four anniversary

I have to say this has been a depressing month. My ROM increased six degrees from last month. PT has figured out that my patella tendon and quads at the side of my knee shortened during the first two months when I couldn't move much at all. So now comes the very slow process of stretching them out by walking and doing some gentle squats. Not much else to say and I'm getting a bit weepy. I just have to keep going and
ask the patience fairy for more dust. Or I have to eat a whole pan of brownies. Yum, chocolate! That always makes me happy:gaah:
 
Oh I'm sorry it's been rough for you. Hang in there @Tentcamper !!!!
Walking and gentle squats sounds like a good safe and sane plan. With brownies of course!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Good luck with the stretches.
Chin up...brighter days are on the way. You're still healing from major surgery. :SUNsmile:
@Tentcamper
 
I hit a new high of 72! My PT has been massaging tight muscles and she said as she gets more of them to relax then she can get at those deep ones and I should see more progress. I'm still doing cryotherapy and lymphatic massage as well.

I made it up three flights of stairs walking as I normally would. Coming down I'm still doing the two feet on one tread. I walked for three hours at a chocolate festival without any pain. I finally feel like I'm healing. :happydance:
 
Woohoo!! Looking good, @Tentcamper ! I bet it feels good to see some real progress (: Just remember there will probably be more dips and bumps here and there along the way, so don’t be discouraged. But it sounds like you’re through the worst and well on your way. Yay!! So happy for you!
 
What a nice update!! Yay, you!
 
Great update. Thanks for sharing. :yahoo:
 
This will be my final comment on BoneSmart due to the reasons listed below. First, let me say that every decision I have made is my own choice. I take full responsibility for where I am in my knee journey.

My recovery has been long with slow healing and swelling. I’ve had to take drastic measures such as cryotherapy, acupuncture and lymphatic massage to gain ROM. In the end, my issue is with shortened ligaments and muscles.

The first two months I did what many advised and iced my knee multiple times a day. This was not the appropriate approach. The swelling did not respond and my ROM stayed in the 30’s. What I should have done is get more aggressive with PT and stretched my muscles and tendons to prevent them from shortening. I didn’t get aggressive until well into my 4th month post surgery. I missed the three month time window when being more aggressive would have been more productive. I am now in my 7th month post surgery and have a ROM of 83. Had I done more aggressive PT earlier, like in my second month, I would have been much further along. This has been stated by both my surgeon and PT.

As I said before, I take responsibility for following the BoneSmart method, but it would be appropriate for the moderators to speak up and advise some with issues such as mine, to possibly search elsewhere and get help specifically for their situation. Continuing to do the slow and go approach is a disservice to those who are in my situation.

I do thank BoneSmart for the help and support in my initial days after surgery. It is a valuable resource for many.
 
@Tentcamper…..I am sorry you feel that we didn’t offer the right guidance for you in the early months of your recovery. I just finished reviewing your entire recovery thread and it actually seemed that our members and staff gave you very good information and support in your journey up until you stopped posting in October.

If the post about your original ROM on your knee (9 degrees) is correct, it means your extreme swelling was keeping you from bending your knee at all as you began recovery. This is very different from what we typically see here on BoneSmart. Most patients begin recovery with at least a ROM measurement in the 40’s and go from there. So, it did seem from the beginning that you might have more challenges than most of our members.

The photos you posted showed what appeared to be excessive swelling in both your knees. You didn’t mention any problems with your left knee, but the enlarged knee area there seems to indicate something was causing you to retain fluid there as well as in your post-op knee. To me, that plus your description of how your body reacts to many things did seem to point to a recovery that might be slower than the average. This is not necessarily a bad thing….just something a person must keep in mind. You did a great job with that with the help and support of our members and staff. You were making steady progress, even though it was slower than you might have liked or expected. I frankly didn’t see anything wrong with your progress and it seemed the things you were trying were helping you improve your range of motion.

I think you did a good job of trying different and safe alternatives to help with your swelling. You evaluated how they worked, kept the ones that worked and ditched those (including lots of icing) that didn‘t appear to be helping. This is what we consider to be a person’s most valuable tool in recovery….listening to their body and responding accordingly. You also applied this to the various therapists and medical personnel you were working with. You were an advocate for yourself and that is what we always hope our BoneSmarties will be.

You might be interested to know that a couple of our surgeon consultants have modified their viewpoint of icing for swelling. Like you, they have discovered that, although it can do wonders for pain, in some patients it does not do much to help with swelling. Instead, they are moving to using NSAIDs for a short period (which I noted you cannot take) to help reduce the inflammation that can cause swelling. There also is a wearable electronic device called the geko that is relatively new in the US that is just about as close to magic as you can get to reduce swelling virtually overnight and help with this problem post-op. The treatment is a 10-day course of wearing the device and it has had great success in our surgeons’ patients. It might have helped you and, if you’re still experiencing a lot of inflammation and swelling, you could consider giving it a try. It has to be obtained from a doctor with a prescription, but that prescription can be from a GP as well as a surgeon. It has received Medicare approval and code numbers for payment and, if you’re interested in trying it, I can possibly help get you to someone who could assist with it.

You were going along pretty well with gradual increases in your ROM until your last report in October of 72 degrees. And now you’re at 83 at 7 months out. Given the medical history you’ve posted here, I think this is good and consistent progress. To me it indicates you will continue to improve, even though it still may not go as fast as you would like.

You’ve had a lot of things going on with your body and this recovery. There are many factors that impact inflammation and swelling in someone and I do not necessarily agree that being more “aggressive” earlier in your recovery would have helped things go any faster. Your body was and is in charge of your recovery. During those first few months, you had very little ROM at all. It was important that you did lots of gentle bending and stretching during those early days to challenge your knee. But had someone taken the approach to force bending your knee either in therapy or through an MUA, I suspect you would not be any further along today than you are now.

You have a great story to tell other BoneSmarties and I genuinely hope that you continue to post and update how you’re progressing. Your situation is one that I don’t recall us ever seeing before - someone who began recovery with almost no bend at all and had other issues that impacted the speed of their recovery. The staff has discussed your recent comments and I agree we must be sure we’re stressing that everyone needs to be stretching and bending their knee on a regular basis from day one. The critical thing with this activity, though, is that it should only be done to the point of mild discomfort and not cross into significant pain. Also, based on your comments, in our last staff meeting we readdressed the use of ice to combat pain or swelling. It’s always an important topic for any of our members.
 
I wanted to address Jamie’s thoughtful post. In it she mentions most members starting off with ROM in their 40’s. When my bulky dressing came off, my degrees of knee movement was only about 10 (20 extension, 30 flexion). I was hugely swollen my entire thigh and knee the first 2 weeks, but I was still able to improve flexion to about 70 and extension to 15 in that time, despite some medical complications (that I think stemmed from a lot of bleeding into the tissues). It was pretty unpleasant but I trusted my team when they said it had to be done, pain or no pain. And then things further took off after swelling went down more. I guess I’m saying that I can understand why an OS might brush off swelling as a reason for lack of ROM because they have seen enough people hugely swollen like me that were able to regain ROM -but it does require effort and tolerating discomfort during. I had a joint effusion (swelling) still clearly showing on the 2 week X-rays.

A friend shared with me an excellent blog by Dr Gorcynski, orthopedic surgeon. Other than his pushing of the 6-8 week window for fastest ROM gains, I think his approach might actually jive well with Bonesmart philosophy. He does not do MUA after 8 weeks. He actually states in some comment replies that he doesn’t know why PT’s will push hard and increase pain because it causes reflexive muscle guarding and is counterproductive. He does not push strength or walking too early. If one wants to find the videos/ articles, just search “Dr Gorcynski don’t make this mistake while rehabilitating your knee”. He specifically addresses swelling in this post.
That said, of course swelling made it harder for me to bend and all that fluid pressing on nerves, etc made it more painful. But it didn’t completely prevent my regaining ROM.

This is such a wonderful and supportive community for so many. As with any good organization, ongoing reviews and growth and openness to considering new evidence can make a good thing even better. I do hope future discussions might also address rewording the 6 week window mythbusting post and include some links to scientifically conducted studies to back it up. Or perhaps reconsider that there is indeed a window of “best opportunity” and continue to support members with ways to take advantage of this time and find ways to passively stretch that minimize the pain and reflexive muscle guarding (that we know can injure tendons, irritate IT bands, etc). And if that fails, continue to offer the hope that all is not lost.
 
I looked at this surgeon’s articles and I agree with @dotski that his approach in many ways does follow our BoneSmart philosophy for recovery. We have tweaked our information many times over the past decades because things do change in the medical community. Changes have also been made because of observations from our members’ recoveries and their willingness to tell us what works and what doesn’t. And we make changes based on our surgeon consultants comments about their own patients and practice. I like the reference to a ”window of BEST opportunity.” Some of our surgeons have talked about that specific philosophy but just didn’t use that phrase. Thank you for that and I’ll take a look at our article to see if it needs some modification to more clearly explain our recovery philosophy. It is important to have that early movement and the gentle bends and stretches consistently and with a little challenge that can be uncomfortable. But it is equally important not to be so aggressive with activity, therapy, or those bends and stretches to bring actual pain that can result in inflammation.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom