TKR Journey of a slow healer

@benne68 I've definitely learned not to push too much although I did take a 15 minute walk this morning. It felt good! Thanks for the info on a peddler. I can only swing right now but I thought working on it at home might help as long as I don't push it.
 
I can only swing right now
I was the same way at your point in recovery. We have a stationary bike and -- even with the seat in the highest position, all I could do was rock back and forth. Then, one day, to my surprise, I went all the way around! I was so excited -- funny what becomes a major milestone on the road to recovery. :wink:
 
@benne68 I bet you were grinning from ear to ear when you made that first rotation. I think the wins that are accidental are the very best. You get a 'surprise ' and you realize that your body can do things if you just get out of your own way.
 
I had my one month check up with my surgeon and it did not go well. The x-rays look good but my flex is 40. He wants it at 90 of course. He rather dismissed my very swollen knee and said I had to get through the pain at PT or I'd be looking at an MUA. He said if I didn't my knee would be stuck like this forever. It doesn't matter that I'm walking 1/4 mile a day or working my knee with a peddler or doing my exercises or walking in the house unassisted. Those are such milestones for me but they don't matter to him.

Ice and rest do nothing for me but I do them anyway just in case they help even though I don't see any progress. I heal incredibly slowly. Bruises take a month or more to fade.

Acupuncture is helping with the swelling but that is also a slow process. Has anyone else dealt with a flex of 40 at 4 weeks? I don't want to do torture therapy or an MUA but I'm scared that if I don't I will be like this forever. And even worse, both of those could cause pain and more swelling so I'd be back where I started. Argh! :hissy:
 
Acupuncture is helping with the swelling but that is also a slow process. Has anyone else dealt with a flex of 40 at 4 weeks?
Sorry, for your challenges. I can understand and feel, what you are going through.

I had feeling of tight band in my whole thigh above knee, couldn't bend my knee.
Very very painful even to use raised toilet. I used to rest operated leg on small table.
Later on I tried to more of
1. ankle pumps while elevating the operated leg.
2. Aleve
3. curcumin
4. Tea of cloves, cinnamon, black pepper and ginger twice a day.

Once swelling was controlled the ROM increased.

You will overcome this soon.
 
@Tentcamper how long are you icing and how many times per day? Ice for 45-60 minutes per session. It will help decease that swelling that is limiting your ROM.
said I had to get through the pain at PT or I'd be looking at an MUA. He said if I didn't my knee would be stuck like this forever.
Complete rubbish! This surgeon has obviously never had TKR. Everyone heals differently. The slow and steady approach works! Forcing the knee only results in more swelling.

Don't let this surgeon bully you! Just make it clear to him and to any PT that you are going to do this your way.
 
@Tentcamper, On a FB knee replacement group for the UK. a woman posted ( answering another post ) and said she was only 90 at one year but she was currently at the three year mark with full range of movement. It didn't take her three years but she continued to improve after 12 weeks and that was her point, some people heal at a slower rate. I month is very early, I think some surgeons expect far too much. i don't think there's any other major surgery where they expect that much. I hope your gentle physio pays off. If all your soft tissure is swollen or aggravated, it's very hard to bend it. Take care x
 
@indie thank you for your list of herbs and spices. I truly despise Western medicine so this combo is right down my alley. And thank you for the encouragement.

@Jaycey I ice 5 or 6 times a day for 30 minutes. It's so frustrating to not see the swelling go down! I wish there were a way to see if my lack of ROM is due to swelling or adhesions. I think it's swelling but there is that little niggling voice that is saying maybe not.

@annie thank you for the story. I'm more hopeful that someone else had similar issues and gained ROM without going through an MUA.

I think what I'll do is continue with acupuncture, add in some delicious tea and have a long chat with my PT. If I'm seeing improvement after four weeks and am at 80-85, then I'll blow my surgeon and PT off.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. It's what helps me sleep at night.
 
I ice 5 or 6 times a day for 30 minutes.
30 minutes won't do anything. Try 60 minutes per session.
I think it's swelling but there is that little niggling voice that is saying maybe not.
Far too early for adhesions - this is post op swelling and it will ease with time and patience. Icing and elevating is the key right now.
 
I wish there were a way to see if my lack of ROM is due to swelling or adhesions. I think it's swelling but there is that little niggling voice that is saying maybe not.
@Tentcamper

your PT, may help you with soft massage around knee, soft tissue massage from ankle toward hips, and if can tolerate than deep tissue massage. This will help fluids retained around knee to pass out. Also may prevent adhesion around patella and implant.

Swelling will lessen.

Try to raise your leg, while in sleeping position, this may be helpful.
take care.
 
Have you tried the lounge doctor or something like the “OasisCraft 8” Leg Elevation Pillow” or DMI Ortho Bed Wedge for elevating? I couldn't get my swelling down until I used a wedge a few times a day. I also used icing 24/7 for the first few months not weeks. Every time I would rest, relax, or try to sleep the ice was on. Mine had a protective cover so it wasn't directly on my skin. There wasn't any way I could get a compression stocking on or my normal shoe! I used an ace wrap up to my thigh for a few hours every day. Are you using a walker? It might help so that you are not putting so much weight on your new knee.
 
@Flashlight I do have a wedge and use iT whenever I'm resting or icing. I have an adjustable bed so I can raise my feet at night, though I haven't been. I'll add that to the routine. It sounds like I need to do a lot more icing. I'm moving around the house unassisted. I'm fortunate that my pain is under control. I wasn't taking anything but I'm going back on ibuprofen to help with swelling. I had neighbors hel getting that compression sock on. What an adventure that was!
 
He rather dismissed my very swollen knee and said I had to get through the pain at PT or I'd be looking at an MUA. He said if I didn't my knee would be stuck like this forever.
It's your knee and he can not make you have a MUA! You are the boss and he and PT are your employees. Your ROM will improve for at least a year or more. It just takes time, especially for a swollen knee.
I ice 5 or 6 times a day for 30 minutes.
I iced for hours at a time. The whole time I was sitting or laying down for the first couple of months I elevated and iced. This helped to keep the pain and swelling down. It is important to make sure your knee is above your heart. Also, as long as you have a cloth between your knee and the ice source, you can not over ice! I was addicted to icing! This kept the need for pain meds down, too.
 
Yes, you are right so many things! You will get there. All we can do is try. I used my wedge while sitting in my recliner. It was uncomfortable to have my leg elevated that high, so I tried to do it for an hour after meals. I slept in my recliner for the first 10-weeks. It's nice that you can elevate some in bed and be comfortable.
 
I live on my couch all day and try to transition to a bed at night. If one bed doesn't feel right then I go to another in the guest room. And if that one fails then it's back to the couch. I feel like Goldilocks- one too soft, one too hard and hopefully one just right.:shrug:
 
I wanted to share encouraging news! I've had two sessions with my acupuncturist and can see the outline of my knee cap on one side. I don't feel as restricted on that side when I walk. My acupuncturist feels another three sessions will do the job on the other side. Imagine that! An increase in ROM without PT. I can also get on the couch without using the strap to lift my leg. Banner day. I'll post before and after pictures of my knee when all the sessions are done. :happydance:
 
Unfortunately there tends to be a "one size fits all" approach to joint replacement recovery. Physicians and PTs are reluctant to let the patient decide what works for them. Some people can tolerate an aggressive approach. But as we see here, the gentle approach does work and for most.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom