Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Achy all over last night and today. Probably a combination of vacation activity, tension from driving home, and the change in weather. I was up way too late watching the ball game in extra innings. Our great Tigers went down in four, unfortunately, but I'm happy for the Giants, and just glad the Tigers took the Yankees out in similar fashion so it wasn't the Yankees in it to win it at the end!
 
Challenged by another thread, I attempted to get down on the floor and up again. No problem getting down, without furniture or getting on the knees. Getting up was actually easy, but I did end up on my knees and used furniture to push up on. I have to work on technique, but am encouraged to not be fearful of the floor at any rate. I don't think there is a way to do it without getting on at least one knee! I think I need a butt that weighs less to haul up, and stronger arms, wrists and hands.
 
I made it back to the pool today, it's been two weeks. I think I felt less stiff and achy for going. Must get back into a routine!
 
Hi Janet, after reading the posts about getting up and down on the floor I got brave enough to do a dry run in the bathtub. I did great, got up on one folded towel and did not hurt at all. I agree with you, I need a lighter butt and more upper body strength to make it look better, but it worked, so that's all that matters to me.
 
Sunshine, good idea to do a dry run for getting in and out of the bathtub. But remember it will be more slippery when you are wet. Even if you have a bath mat, your hands will be slippery so have a towel or washcloth to hang onto also.
 
I joined the new fitness center at the college where I use the pool. I used the bike for 10 minutes, enough of a start after being away from PT for three weeks now. It is a spanking new, big place with floor to high ceiling windows. It was great! Just me and a dozen 18-20 year old guys!
 
Oh Janet, you poor thing you having to hang around a bunch of 18-20 year old young bucks. Well, someone has to do it.
 
Janet - like I have said before... "YOU ARE MY HERO!!" :giggle: I would love to come workout with you at that new gym, but fear we wouldn't get alot of working out done, more likely "looking out " :wink:
 
Janet, you asked me on a different thread if I walk to the Leslie dvds and yes I do. I received a box full of her dvd's for telling my story on her website. So there was one dvd that is only a mile and a very easy 20 minute mile. So two weeks after surgery I was doing that one. I know, probably shouldn't have. No my therapist has me doing one mile of the 15 minute miles. I am sure I could do more now and will ask her on Friday if I can up my miles. Before surgery I was doing 5 miles, 5 times a week.
 
I have the 1, 2 and 3 miles. I didn't know she had a five mile! I'm sure i could try out the 1 mile to start. Although I like the bike and Nustep that are non weight bearing for now. That's cool that you got to tell your story and got free dvds! After I had my arthroscopic surgery 4 1/2 years ago and he found I had arthroconditus dessicans, I was told not to walk for exercise, so it's been a while.
 
I was Madam Goldilocks, who is good friends with Baby Bear now.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
    image-2155096772.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 138
Janet, what is arthroconditus dessicans? I tried googling it and it said there were no matches for it. I mean usually it will try and show you something that is close, but it didn't bring up anything. I have chondrocalcinosis, that is calcium crystals that are going through the cartilage. Like sandpaper chewing away at my joints.
 
Sorry, that's osteochondritis dissecans. I had a lession on the femer attached by a thread, which would come out of place and get caught int the joint - very painful. It was removed and the bone drilled to try to get to the blood supply so some scar tissue could form. I started the gel injections then to help protect that surface from wearing away more. That was all in Germany.
 
Today is five months from my BTKR. Where do I stand? I feel like I am more than half way there. Certainly, there is no comparison to either pre surgery or immediately post surgery. Now, it's just a matter of how loooong it will take to get through the remainder of healing, rather than how much healing is left to do. I still have stiffness and therefore some swelling in my knees, but it doesn't interfere with most of my day. I'm not aware of it when walking, and now that colder weather is setting in, I notice I am walking at a good clip to get out of the cold. I'm getting on and off toilet seats without looking for something to grab onto. I'm mostly walking foot over foot up and down stairs, even with my arms loaded so I can't use a rail, but I still feel it and am aware of it. I can sit down without issue, and can get up, but again, I'll feel it and usually support myself a little still. I've been on two vacations since surgery. I have not been limited in anything I wanted to do, although these weren't adventure vacations. I can sit for long periods without discomfort, although sitting in a confined space where I can't straighten my knees out is still uncomfortable after a long while. I tend to forget about regular elevating and icing, but find when I do it, it is surprisingly still effective and helpful, so I am trying to give that a little more attention. I have finished with PT and started going to the pool and gym on my own again. So that's the nuts and bolts. How do I feel about my knees at five months? I love them, am so happy I had both done at the same time, and am so excited about what I can now do and SO looking forward to what I will be able to do in the future! I'm doing great, but am still looking forward to 2013 as the year it all comes back to me in spades!
 
So interesting to read your five month progress report Janet especially as you had both knees done. Seems a long way off to me at the 3 week stage but I know i will get there eventually. You seem t be really enjoying life again and as you said 2013 will be even better for you. Wishing you Good Luck for the rest of your progress. Take Care.
 
Jacky that's so encouraging that you felt comfortable going on a trip at 6 months out. I loved your photos! Did you go to Berea College? My Mom just loved them and years after visiting would order things from their catalogue to help support the students.
 
Great report Janet! Five months did move right along didn't it and you're doing great! You are certainly an inspiriation for all of us who go through TKR. Many things you have tried, I was shiddish about trying. You gave me the courage to give it a shot and I was able to do it as well! Thank you for that my friend and fellow BTKR recipient!:friends:

I loved you halloween costume, you certainly are a fun grandma!:thumb:

HAPPY 5th month ANNIVERSARY! Have a great day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom