Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear that the knee "woops" is fine today!:thumb:
I found out today that the electrodes are more for the muscles and pain, not for scar tissue.
 
Jacky48 said:
Glad to hear that the knee "woops" is fine today!:thumb:
I found out today that the electrodes are more for the muscles and pain, not for scar tissue.

That makes sense, from what I know of electrodes in the past.

Today as I was making the bed, leaning over I suppose, I felt a slight movement in Elmo. That's the first movement I've noticed. The PT did say last week that there was a lot of movement in that knee that we needed to tighten up. That's the same knee that I thought was too tight to bend before. When all is said and done, hopefully it will end up to be just right!
 
All this tweaking going on, us getting use to our knees, our knees positioning themselves and getting use to us! Who knew it was going to be so, give and take, pull and push, the ying and the yang! All so very scientific isn't it! Then like you said "When all is said and done, hopefully it will end up to be just right!" Then you'll hear Elmo and Cookie Monster say, ahhhh just right!:friends:
 
Given all the people here who have had to slug it out and make it on their own at home by themselves, I know I'm lucky to have a semi retired husband working from home most of the time. I've taken full advantage of it and let hubby wait on me for six weeks. Coffee and breakfast in bed before I take my morning pills to get me going. Driving me to all my appointments. Taking care of the shopping, meals and kitchen. So it's not that I'm complaining, but I am being forcefully pushed out of the nest. Next week, hubby is going to be in the Ukraine. And my daughter will be in Phoenix. And my nearby son will be in Mexico. All on business. All at the same time. So I'm pouting (to myself and here) a little bit thinking about trash day and know I don't deserve to. I think the fact that I've had no say in this, that there was no decision as to what or how I can manage on my own is half of it. Of course, he would not have agreed to do this a few weeks ago. But I feel like I'm being thrown in to sink or swim, without anyone sticking around to see if I make it. What a silly pity party! Lol!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
Aaawwwww, Janet, what a tough break. I should have come to your house to start my recovery. Talk about service, hot and cold running maids, a chauffeur, a chief cook and bottle washer----just up and leaving you all for pretty interesting destinations.
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
You poor, poor thing. (This is, of course a bit tongue in cheek--so do you want to hit me now or later?)


[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012 Yet, I think, somehow you WILL manage and very well, too. You'll be surprised what you can do, and it will be easier than you're picturing it right now. And we'll all be around to see if you sink or swim---and I'm betting that there is no way that you are going to sink with all of us looking on.
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012


Dry your eyes, put a smile on your face, and show us all up!
 
LOL! No, I'm sure I'll manage. Problem is, how do I manage all week and then get back on the gravy train when he gets back? I figured I could milk this right through our August vacation!! LOL! But in fairness to me, I've been doing what I am suppose to do, being the perfect patient (since I could), which means I have not driven a car, have not gone to a store... Not sure I want to go by myself.
 
LOL!! Janet you're too funny! Oh and by the way, you can get back on the "gravy train" by just telling hubby that you had a relapse the day before he came home!:heehee: But you have to say it with a very sad voice, no giggling!:boohoo::giggle:
 
Jacky48 said:
LOL!! Janet you're too funny! Oh and by the way, you can get back on the "gravy train" by just telling hubby that you had a relapse the day before he came home!:heehee: But you have to say it with a very sad voice, no giggling!:boohoo::giggle:

Oh, there's the answer! I will just have to elevate and ice to recuperate from having done too much! For at least four more weeks! (that will get me past the post vacation unpacking mess.)
 
Oh, and another thing, don't you think you'll need to hire a chauffeur to get you to and from PT? Maybe one that will cater to your every whim and peel your grapes! You'll want to be with hubby when he interviews some for the job, you'll want some kind of say as to who would be the lucky one to get you around.:)
 
It is not silly that you feel this way. Your husband and son will be in foreign countries which complicates things. You are just 6 weeks out from a 2 TKR. You probably aren't driving yet or going to the grocery store or doctor apt by yourself . Is there a friend or relative that can come stay with you for a while? If that is not possible, then make a plan for the time your family will be on the road. Have your husband stock up on groceries . He can make some meals ahead that are easy for you to heat up. Invite friends over for coffee on different days. Find a friend who can take you to the doctor if the need arises. You are still in recovery so take it easy and keep the focus on that. The next step for you when you feel up to it and have the confidence, is to attempt the independent skills like driving,shopping going for apt. but that is a gradual process best done with training wheels ( your husband) to see how it goes. So keep on doing what you are doing when they are gone and with a few preparations, you should be fine . Also , make sure they all call you every day....with cell phones this is almost always possible to check on you! I was sitting in a doctor's office learning that I had a detached retina and my husband was in Japan and my kids and their families don't live nearby. The doctor was telling me to walk around like I had a glass of water on my head until the surgery which was scheduled for 2 days later.So I walked this way out in the hall and phoned my husband in the middle of the night in Japan and I told him I thought it was best that he come home. He had just gotten there after an eleven hour flight. He said ok, I'll be there. Thank heavens for cell phones. You might ask your husband what he needs to do so his cell phone works in the Ukraine .The first days home with a TKR are challenging but when you come home after detached retina surgery, you have to stay face down for 14 days! ...with 10 min. Bathroom and meal breaks. You do it because you don't want to lose your vision. The same is true with TKR, do what is necessary to take care of yourself so that you can walk again!Good luck
 
Hi Janet,

Excellent advice from dmgkag!

I was in a similar situation one week after my PKR. My husband had to go away on business for 3 weeks and all my kids lived far away.

Yes, ask your DH to stock up on all the grocery shopping before he goes, and to freeze some meals for you. I was lucky enough to find a grocery chain that would deliver. I could order on line and they delivered the goods the next day. When the delivery men saw I was on crutches, they even brought everything right in to the kitchen and put all the perishables in the fridge for me. I was impressed!

I used a taxi service to get me to doctor appointments and one physio session - friends were all at work.

I managed everything else myself, except that, at that early stage, I did not risk getting into the shower. I got a bit tired of strip washes at the sink, but I was clean and safe.

In a way, it felt good - I could do everything to my schedule, didn't have to explain anything, and could just take my time, resting as much and when I wanted to. I'm sure you'll manage just fine. Just don't try to rush anything.

As far as getting back to being waited on when you DH comes home again, well of course you're going to be worn out from all you've had to do! That will naturally take a few weeks to recover from!! :)
 
I was alone for a week right after I had my TKR. I had my surgery on a Wednesday and my husband went back to work in Maryland for the week on Monday. (We live in NJ) I looked at it like a vacation. :) I spent the time on the couch of course and didn't have to worry about dinner or the time. If I wanted a sandwich for dinner, then I made one. Cereal was good too. I read in bed and stayed up late. I watched anything I wanted on TV. I walked outside, circled the driveway a few times when I went to get the mail. I did just fine and you will too.
 
It does take some planning. Today I actually drove home from PT with hubby in the car. If I don't want to drive to PT, they will come pick me up and drop me off as a free service. Hubby will gladly do shopping, and there is a restaurant actually within our condo area, I don't even need to pull out on the main street. I can go there for dinner and have left overs for the next day. There is a grocery store nearby that you can pre order groceries and they will bring it out to the car for curb side pick up. I've never tried that, might be a good time! My hair appointment, which I desperately need, is a 15 minute hike. I usually take the expressway to get there. I'll have to think that one through. I'll manage, but I'm sure going to miss everyone!
 
Missing everyone is the hardest part, especially hubby! They're our rock when we're marshmallow! :console2:
 
On a positive note, I was freely peddling the bike today, so much so that I had the tech move the seat down a notch after a few minutes to try it out, and I freely peddled at that height, too! It was very exciting!
 
Woohoo, you got to drive? :ok: Kool! I can't wait until I give it a try, which I'm hoping it's in the near future! It sounds like you've got all your ducks in a row for when everyone's out of town, you're a trooper that's for sure! That time when they're away will go by like a flash, just like everything else in life especially as we get older, which I hate to mention! :shrug:
 
PT today, did the bike at the new lower seat height (4, started at 6). I didn't top up the percocet before PT, and while I felt a little stiff, I didn't feel it inhibited me. I've been taking a total of 2 percocets and two tylenols per day plus two tramodols at bedtime. Plus the celebrex. I'm okay with that for now. Nothing much else about today. I did take a walk through the garden and managed it fine without a crutch. I consciously picked my feet up well as I walked so I wouldn't likely catch a toe on something.
 
Janet,

It sounds like PT is going well! You are a trooper and it sounds like you already have the plans laid out for driving and groceries. I have no doubt you will be fine, except maybe a little lonesome. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom