Bilateral TKR Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my first OS visit yesterday. He was p,eased with everything. He took off the steristrips so now I can take a shower without Saran wrap. Yahoooo. Still have to wear the teds for four more weeks. Not so bad if you stay in AC but awful if you are put in the heat AND I do get to take them off when I go to bed. Makes me want to run to bed!

Weaning off the MS Contin and transitioning to just Dilaudid and Tylenol. We'll see how that goes.

Bought an electric razor to shave mt legs but can't bring myself to use it over the lateral aspect of my knee where it is numb. Does anyone else have that?. It feels terrible. Yuck.

Home one week today. Yahoo.

Janet have a great time tonight!
 
reetpteet said:
Sounds like a lovely evening you have planned, reunions are special. Have been thinking of you & your TEDs & wondering about your lovely pedicure. Can't wait to paint my toenails again, I always have them painted in the summer, but it would be wasted under the TEDs.
Have a great time, thinking of you :friends:

My TEDs don't have toes, I requested the toeless ones. You can also cut the feet off if you aren't having a problem with swollen ankles. I think kelly (SkiGirl) did that. Or cut a half foot. They would be cooler and you can paint your toes! I haven't had swelling problems and have been very good with keeping my legs elevated when not in use, so I don't need to wear them, but knowing I'll be standing and sitting feet down much of the evening, I'm thinking it would be a good proactive thing to do.
 
Dog Lover said:
Had my first OS visit yesterday. He was p,eased with everything. He took off the steristrips so now I can take a shower without Saran wrap. Yahoooo. Still have to wear the teds for four more weeks. Not so bad if you stay in AC but awful if you are put in the heat AND I do get to take them off when I go to bed. Makes me want to run to bed.

Bought an electric razor to shave mt legs but can't bring myself to use it over the lateral aspect of my knee where it is numb. Does anyone else have that?. It feels terrible. Yuck.

I never had steristrips or staples, just glue, so I've been able to take showers without special accommodations for the incision since three days after the surgery. I did have them for my biopsies just before the knee surgery though. From what others have said, I'm so glad I didn't have them for my knee!

I think everyone has the numb area on the lateral side of the incision. Nerves are cut through and it can take a long time to regenerate, maybe never completely. Using an electric razor where you aren't going to knick yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. I've shaved once since surgery. Good thing my hair is very fine and light at this point. I can't actually see it from my vantage point with my eyesight, but when I can feel the breeze blowing through my hair, I know it's time to do something! Lol!
 
but when I can feel the breeze blowing through my hair, I know it's time to do something! Lol!

[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
[Bonesmart.org] Journey Continuing June 4th, 2012
 
Ya that numb area remains for a LONG TIME, I still have one and am thinking I probably will have to live with that feeling for a long time to come. I used an electric razor for quite awhile, then braved it and used the BIC! It's not so bad, feels kinda strange when you go over the numb area, but it's doable. Those TED hose are a royal pain, hated them stopped using them after 5 weeks.. (they wanted me to use them for 6 weeks).. Keep us posted!
 
grabbit97 said:
Ya that numb area remains for a LONG TIME, I still have one and am thinking I probably will have to live with that feeling for a long time to come!

My pinky finger got stabbed during a Christmas Day struggle with a goose and I ended up in the ER. I hit the nerves and they said it would probably take three weeks to come back. I'm still waiting for it to come back completely, and that was in 1983!
 
My pinky finger got stabbed during a Christmas Day struggle with a goose and I ended up in the ER. I hit the nerves and they said it would probably take three weeks to come back. I'm still waiting for it to come back completely, and that was in 1983!
Patience Janet - you can't rush these things!!!!:whistle:
 
JustmeT said:
Yeah, you just gotta have patience...:)! I have plenty of patience to spare should any need some, cause I don't seem to be using any of it...:rofsign:

Well, after 29 years, I've pretty much given up on it! Lol!
 
Well, after 29 years, I've pretty much given up on it! Lol!

You can't give up now after such a long time,geesh, that would be just like quitting before getting the job done...:loll:

I had a fight with a rock in 1983,:umm: lost a part of my finger, it still hasn't grown back, lol, I am not ready to call it quits yet! Hahahaha! I guess that isn't considered patience but stupidity...heh heh heh!
 
Janet, it's pretty much looking like "Comedy Saturday" on you thread here! Lots of laughs going all around!
Have a great time tonight! :cheers:
 
I read your date and saw June 4th then here it is June 3rd. What is your true date. I had my on June 4th in the evening. My doctor also used glue. Not sure I am a fan of it but thats what I got so, thats the way it is. I have a little numb but not bad. My other leg who has has a hip and knee replacements have some some nerve damage but I'm not sure how long its going to last. It does move around some. I came to the conculsion it is what it is. As long as the knee and hip work like they surpose to I don't care about the numb. I did notice the areas are getting smaller so that is important. Lets keep in touch because we had our knees done on the same day? How are you sleeping? I got over 6 hours last night. Please stay safe, I see you live in the midwest? Be careful of the heat. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hi Tashia, June 4th surgery is the correct date, and now it's July 7th, right?? Moving right along, aren't we?!

Edit: Tashia, it just occurred to me that you might have been looking at a post written on June 3 and I mentioned a surgery the week before. I went through two breast biopsies in the two weeks before my knee surgery, the second an excisional surgery. All came back benign, thank goodness. That would have been confusing!
 
JustmeT said:
You can't give up now after such a long time,geesh, that would be just like quitting before getting the job done...:loll:

I had a fight with a rock in 1983,:umm: lost a part of my finger, it still hasn't grown back, lol, I am not ready to call it quits yet! Hahahaha! I guess that isn't considered patience but stupidity...heh heh heh!

1983 was not an all around good year, I'd say.
 
Jacky48 said:
Janet, it's pretty much looking like "Comedy Saturday" on you thread here! Lots of laughs going all around!
Have a great time tonight! :cheers:

Hey, some Saturdays are just hot! Lol! I really had a nice time with my Brazil group last night and the evening was a success regarding my knees. I did wear my TEDs, much as I wanted to skip them, I went with my better judgement and I think they helped. So, I was out for 6 hours! First thing that I wasn't expecting was that everyone was downstairs, a long circular staircase! My husband said the look on my face was fear, but I said, okay then, I'm doing a full flight of steps! The one knee doesn't like steps, so down with the bad, over and over. And it was fine. I took a forearm crutch along just in case, thank goodness! Later when coming up, I would have made my PT proud, one foot over the other! Not surprisingly, I found I couldn't stand in one spot chatting for very long before stepping away to find a seat. I never did put my feet up, so was glad for the TEDs. An odd side note, her black lab was given free reign to wander around and kept stopping and wagging her tail so it kept going whack, whack, whack right on my knees! Elevated and iced as soon as I got home, and felt good when I got up today!

Yesterdays get together at my sons was postponed until today due to the heat, so even though I had planned to stay home today, we went over there for four hours and I walked around their mulch garden and yard, with my crutch just in case, which was my first time walking on uneven surfaces - another first! Came home and fell asleep Hard with peas on my knees!

Best part of the weekend, was very good friends came down from Up North for the dinner Saturday and stayed here with us, which always makes me feel good! They are the kind of friends you don't have to fuss for, we just all gathered around my bed while I iced my knees!
 
Janet,

I am so glad that everything went well for you!:yes!: You are making tremendous progress, and I am so proud of you!
 
Wow! A long circular staircase????? You must have been so happy on that last step!:yay:You broke all kinds of records on Saturday! Good for you!:friends: And, you topped it all off with good friends that don't need fuss'n! It doesn't get much better than that! Now don't forget to tell your PT about that circular staircase, that's a point getter if I've ever seen one!:thumb:
 
Jacky, you know, I'm getting to the point where I'm realizing that some of these little accomplishments are more a matter of not knowing what I can do and having the confidence to do them rather than actually being amazing post op feats of strength or something! Then again, we must not give it over to our minds to decide what we think we can do, but remember that the knees always have the ultimate judgement on the matter. A real partnership between me, Cookie Monster and Elmo, but I have to remember that I will always be the minority partner. Still, it seems I have to cast the deciding vote on things like circular stairs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom