Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

Thread title and prefix changed for you!
 
Sunday I had some water blisters ( hives) on the sides of my knee and thought maybe from skin being so tight. Yesterday I had them on my back and stomach area. I put a call into nurse to ask her what they could be from and we think maybe the blood thinner I’m on, it’s a daily injection. I was on aspirin the last two times.I took a Benadryl to help with the itch. Also she’s told me my knee will take lots of patience and time. She asked when I start pt and told her I’m scheduled next Friday 2 weeks post- op but if knee is still angry like this not going. So just day by day I guess. On a good note I’m getting good stetches of sleep at a time. Hope everyone is recovering well.
 
@Jaycey Wow, that was fast I just finished typing a lengthy report and I’m sure my report was after you fixed it. So, thank you!
 
Last night was a rough night, could not get comfortable and the pain and aching took a long time to settle down some. This morning I went to get up and was so off balance I fell in to the end table but managed to save myself from falling to the ground. Scared the **** out of the hubs and myself. I need to get my bearings before I attempt to get up in the mornings. More bruising showed itself today, I am one massive bruise from top of thigh to ankle. The swelling is still severe but I think my ankle is looking less swollen. I felt today was a good day I walked a bit more and gently did some knee bends and straightening exercises. The leg/quad is very weak and can do maybe 3 leg lifts after medicated. I’m using the foot hook to lift my leg off and off the bed. Today was definatly an improvement. Hoping tonight I get a better nights rest One day at a time. :bored::sleeep:
 
I am wishing you a well deserved rest tonight. This will get better. At 6 weeks I am amazed at how far I’ve come in just 2 weeks time. You’ll have good days and the next will be rotten but believe me you are getting better. Sending hugs your way :console2:
 
@Smokey253 As I lie awake at 2am reading your message, you brought a smile to my face - thank you for the hug, I needed it.

I know this is a roller coaster ride and I should be a pro by now, but I’m not. If anything it’s more terrifying . So far the TKR is much harder than the PKR. Maybe it’s the revision and going in 3 times, but I am definitely finding things more challenging this first week.

I am so happy for you and I know that’s going to be me soon too! Sometime you just need a little encouragement or a lift like you gave me. I’ve promised myself lots of patience. One step at a time and you're right, it’s one step forward two steps back.That’s why this forum is so great to talk about things and ask the questions or to just to vent or cry.

It's nice knowing you have a place to go that others are in similar situations. Yay to making through week one!! Onto week 2! We’ve got this :)
 
You've been through a lot in 18 months so I'm not surprised you're struggling. I was very uncomfortable at night to begin with and found having a pillow lengthwise under my whole leg from just below my buttock to my foot made a big difference. I still sleep better that way even now. I've tried doing away with the pillow, but end up putting it back in the middle of the night. I found Voltarol Gel helped the ache at the back of the knee and wrapping it in clingfilm - there's a video on the forum showing you how to do it. They don't call it a rollercoaster for nothing. I hope you manage a better night tonight. Take care and be kind to yourself, it's very early days. :console2:
 
@Jolease Good to hear your recovery is moving in the positive direction overall. I agree the roller coaster effect can be disheartening and frustrating at times..... but as long as the overall trend is positive.... that's the overriding goal.

Last two nights I have also been woken in middle of the night with throbbing pain in the knee. For me, cranking up the ice machine has alleviated my pain and allowed me to get back to sleep within 30-45 minutes. For instance, this morning my pain ramped up at 2 AM, by 2:30 AM I had the ice machine on and managed to get back to sleep until 5:30 AM.
:ice:

When I awoke, the knee felt good and swelling was minimum.

I'm a full 7 days post-op today myself.

Hang in there my friend.... there is light at the end of the tunnel!:idea:
 
@Jolease I understand completely how you’re feeling re your latest operation. I’m four weeks out after second TKR and psychologically I’m finding this recovery somuch tougher than the first one! I’m recovering well (apart from swelling in thigh) but I’ve got it into my head that it’s going a lot slower than the first recovery. Trouble is I think I’ve blocked out the hard parts of first recovery (probably similar to childbirth- if you dont block out the pain of first childbirth why would you choose to go through another one!!) so when I compare what I experienced first time round to what I’m experiencing now everything then was a bed of roses!! Hope this makes sense!! The first few weeks are brutal, between discomfort, being fairly helpless and lack of sleep I find it a nightmare but round about week 4 a wee glimmer of light appears in the tunnel and then you know you’re on your way. Last night I was really pleased coz I managed to load the dishwasher (how sad is that but an achievment is an achievment!) Keep icing and elevating and catch sleep when you can, go easy on the exercises, if you’re swollen you can’t do them so not much point in trying it’s just going to hurt. Hopefully in another couple of weeks you will be feeling much better :thumb:
 
@Lindylee thanks for the tips. I do use the pillow, I haven’t tried the cling wrap but I will if things don’t improve.

@JDinCT thank you,yes, it’s one tough recovery.

I put the ice machine on and elevate and medicate. Past couple nights just have been awful though. My calf has been super sore. I’m guessing from walking a bit more (if you can call hobbling walking) lol. So I’ll stretch it lots today and just try and get naps in. Sounds like your first week has gone pretty good!! Great to hear.

@Lilli215 I agree totally on the childbirth quote! It’s very true! I think I’m also comparing it a lot to my past two and it’s not the same. I knew this time would be harder or I thought I did, once your in the situation it’s much harder. I could bend my knee well after first two surgeries from the get go. I didn’t have this degree of swelling or bruising after either. I need to try and look at this surgery as a new one and quite comparing it to the others. You sound like me on loading the dishwasher!!:heehee: Sad those kinda things excite us lol. Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Does someone know how to upload a picture from phone? When I upload it, it says it’s to large, how do I make it smaller? Thanks
 
I found the best way to make a picture smaller on my phone is to email the picture to myself. (from my phone). When I do this the email asks me what size I want and I usually choose the medium. Then when I open the email, I save the medium size back to my phone, and then the system here let’s me upload it.
 
@Jockette Thanks I will try that!! :)

Day 7- This is my knee one week post -op hoping the swelling comes down soon.

[Bonesmart.org] Jolease's knee saga part 3<^
 
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

My leg was huge after my partial. I didn’t have any bruising, though. Originally I thought that was because I’d “only” had a partial, but I’ve since learned other members with partials did bruise. I guess it depends on the patient’s body and maybe the surgeon technique?
 
Thanks jockette, I did bruise with my partial , just not as bad. My swelling sure is limiting what I can do. The nurse told me she thought I’d swell more with it being a revision and 3rd time in a short time.

Just hope there is an end in the near future. I swelled with the partial but no where near to this degree and got worse after exercise. So I do nothing but elevate and ice and it’s still angry. Maybe week 2 it will start to come down:)
 
Your leg is angry and rebelling. It’s probably thinking, not this again, I’ll show her!

Do your best to coddle it, gentle movements only. :console2:
 
I’m jealous of all these fabulous bruises. I don’t have any but I guess there is still time. The physio said I had a ‘bit’ of swelling. To me it seems enormous and feels very restrictive.i hope your swelling starts to reduce soon. Mine is definitely better in the morning when it has been elevated all night. Quickly returns! We are all going to have a fabulous week 2 x
 
@catkin69 lol jealous of bruises? I’d be happy to share some with you. I have enough to spare lol. I also have them on my tummy from injections - sigh. Only have to do those for another week!

Funny mine is so tight and stiff in the morning even though it’s elevated. I had more internal swelling last time to, felt it just didn’t see it as bad. Yes let’s have a great week 2, I’m in for that!! :thumb:.
 
@Jolease I am on aspirin so have thankfully avoided the tummy bruises. At least you can play dot to dot
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom