Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

Well the pain saga continues for me.. I am now 8½ months post partial revision from first partial. Things are getting worse I feel. My original surgeon has given no explanation as to what might be causing my pain and irritation. He has scheduled me for a TKR which scared the bejesus out of me! This is the last thing I want. I’ve already had 2 surgeries in the last year. I had my GP put in a referral to get a second opinion.

I’m feeling so depressed lately and am not sure what to do. Also the burning pain is back in my leg and ankle area. I think My thigh issues are from the instability of the knee. Some days I think I should just settle with this bummed knee and then the days the pain has me flat on my back I want to try for the TKR. I’m terrified things could get worse and of course the infection part is so worrisome.

I sure wish I could turn back the clock. I hope the new surgeon will investigate a bit more. They say I don’t have an infection because I’d have a fever and be sick. Could I be allergic to the device or cement? Could that be causing all the irritation? So many unanswered questions and no testing at all. If I do need to have the TKR shouldn’t they rule things out or try and find out what’s causing the pain? Thanks for listening to me vent and maybe someone is going through something similar.

@bottomshollow im not sure if I’m doing this correctly. Could you take the 9 weeks post op off my title please. Thanks and if I’m not writing where I’m
Supposed to I apologize .
 
@Jolease, I have removed what you requested, but since that left you with no title, I have given you one. If you want something else just tag me and let me know.
 
I’m sorry you are still in so much pain. If it was me I’d want some tests done, also, before I agreed to another surgery.

Is the TKR scheduled with a different surgeon?

I’ll tag @Josephine for you.
 
Thank-you@jockette. It is with same surgeon,:oyvey:where I live all the OS are in one building. The last visit I had with him he basically laid out all the negatives, and then said we can proceed with the TKR. I’m beyond frustrated and have requested a second opinion,but being it’s at the same office not feeling to confident. He originally said it’s soft tissue, I had a cortisone shot which didn’t help at all. Can soft tissue take this long to still cause pain, irritation and a unstable knee?? :what:
 
As I’ve said earlier in this post, I’m not happy with my outcome of my partial. My original surgeon offered me nothing at my one year check up.

I will not go back to him or see anyone connected with him.
 
@Jockette I’m sorry you're still having a hard time. I’m one year out from the first surgery and honestly feel like it’s a bad dream. I do have good flexion and extension but that’s about all that’s good with this surgery. I’m wondering if having the “ fix” 4 months later is why things are still so irritated and the burning in my ankle and weakness in my thigh.

I’m petrified that if I go through with the TKR things will be even worse! I had such a positive outlook when he went in to just adjust the plate, I felt I’d be good to go. How wrong I was. My girl friend had the same surgery as you in March. She only has 92 degree bend now. She doesn’t have the pain like I do but if her knee is bent too far she is in lots of pain.

I just don’t know what to do, guess I’ll ride it out until I can see what the second opinion offers me. I just want to go for a leisurely walk. Thanks for listening, feeling pretty blue these days.
 
A TKR can be a good (even great) thing -- I have two of them and am happy as a fool -- and that may be the best solution for you. So if it comes to that, don't be afraid. TKR surgery is immensely successful.

On the other hand, given your history with this surgeon, you should get a second opinion. But you should get it from a surgeon not associated in any way. Still, any opinion that gives you more information is a good thing.

I've read of many PKRs that don't lead to good results, but also some that do. Clearly yours is not one of the good ones. A knee replacement should at the very least allow you to take a nice walk, or do errands without pain. :sad:
 
Thank-you @SusieShoes this has been an physical and emotional ride I’d like off in the near future. I think after having 2 surgeries so close together and still am suffering I’m running out of choices unless by miracle things change. I’m 49 and used to so active. I’ve tried the pool which was doable for a few days then the knee said nice try lady lol.

I live in Canada and the only other choice I’d have besides the surgeons (there is 10 or so in the same building) is go to the mainland which isn’t really an option - sigh. I do have major anxiety over this. If I was guaranteed I would be out of this misery I’d do whatever it took. But no guarantees and with my history that puts more stress on me. I know so many people that have had falls and are just fine! I’m having a 'why me' moment:bawl:

I’m so glad to hear yourTKRs are doing good! Thanks again for listening xx
 
My bend is good, but I can’t put any weight on my operated leg when the knee is bent, like going up and down stairs. But, I can pick up my right foot and put all my weight on the operated left leg, standing straight, no pain.
 
My original surgeon has given no explanation as to what might be causing my pain and irritation. He has scheduled me for a tkr with scares the bejesus out of me! This is the last thing I want.
I had my gp put in a referral to get a second opinion.
A TKR is what you need and, quite honestly, that's what your surgeon should have done, instead of giving you a second PKR. Very few surgeons revise a PKR with a second one. The usual practice is to revise to a TKR.

Frankly, I wouldn't let your first surgeon near my knee again. He's had two chances and still got it wrong.

I hope that the surgeon your GP has referred you to is an expert in revising problem knees. You do need someone whose specialty that is, not just another surgeon who routinely does knee replacements.
You also need someone who has no connection, professional or social, with your current surgeon - not even golfing buddies. And yes, you may need to go to the mainland to find the right surgeon. It will be worth it to find the right surgeon. Vancouver is not so far away and you could plan to stay in a hotel for a few days after your discharge from hospital.

Why are you so scared of having a TKR? They are great. The recovery is basically not much different from the recovery from a PKR, and they can last for 30+ years - much longer than a PKR.

I've had a revision from a PKR to a TKR and my recovery was no different. If anything, it was possibly a little easier, because I knew what to expect, what to to and what not to do.
I am just as active after my revision to a TKR as I was with the PKR.

Don't believe it if you've been told that a TKR will limit your activity. Have a look at some of these stories to see what you can do with a TKR:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries
 
@Celle . Thank-you for replying. I think the reason I’m so scared is because I’ve had two surgeries so close together and I fear knowing this is my “ last” chance at being pain free sort of speak.

Most people have revisions years later not 3 surgeries within a short time frame.

I recovered surgery-wise like a champ the second time, or so I thought. I know Vancouver isn't that far, just a ferry ride and a drive but still it is easier said than done but I might have to go that route.

The surgeon I asked to be referred to has a wonderful reputation and I was originally referred to him but he doesn’t do partials (wonder why). On his bio it states he has them under his belt. I’m sure hoping when I do get to see him he will give me hope and take me on. If not I have a lot of thinking to do.

I do know one thing I can’t live my life if this is how my knee/leg is going to be. We love to travel and have a Europe trip planned for next Oct and I’d really like to be able to walk pain free and without paying for it immensely the days to follow.

I don’t think I’m worried it will limit my activity, just more will the issues I’m having now be resolved and what is causing them. I am way worse off than I was before surgery, the pain is wearing me down. Again thank you for listening to me whine xx

PS The reason he just did the second partial was because the plate was just misaligned, he thought that would fix it. It fixed the issue but created others- sigh
 
Most people have revisions years later not 3 surgeries within a short time frame.
You'd be surprised how many people have to have a PKR revised to a TKR within the first year. Lots!
The surgeon I asked to be referred to has a wonderful reputation and I was original referred to him,but he doesn’t do partials( wonder why) on his bio it states he has them under his belt. I’m sure hoping when I do get to see him he will give me hope and take me on. If not I have a lot of thinking to do. I do know one thing I can’t live my life if this is how my knee/leg is going to be.
I think the surgeon you were first referred to has it right.

It seems that your present surgeon is a PKR enthusiast and that is why he gave you a second one. Big mistake!

This is not how you have to live your life.
Your knee can be helped if you go to the right surgeon.

I was one of the lucky ones with my PKR. It lasted me for 11 years, which is longer than most. Even so, when I was offered a PKR for my other knee I turned it down and asked for a TKR instead.
So I have a TKR in each knee and I have travelled the world with them. They don't limit my activity at all.
 
You give me hope @Celle!! Thank you! The irritation drives me crazy especially after I’m active as in living my life. I’d really like to know why, and this may sound strange but when it does swell inside it gives me a bit of relief. I’ve gone back on Celebrex hoping it helps some.
 
Jolease, did you ever read my comments to your answers here? I ask because you never discussed them with it at all. Perhaps you should read them again and compare what I have said with what's gone on with you since. I'll be here to answer any questions.
 
@Josephine I did read your replies and thank you. I was only 8 weeks out then when you replied.

I’m not sure what you mean? I have been doing no exercises and I do take Tylenol 1000 mg 3x a day and today I just started back on Celebrex. It is now 8½ months out from second surgery and was wondering what could cause this irritation still. Could it still be soft tissue inflammation at this late stage?

I just don’t want to jump into a TKR if I have any chance the pain and irritation will eventually subside. Some days I think I can handle it, I go about my business and I’m wanting to cut my leg off!! I have way more bad days than good and the burning is back so I’m thinking on going back on gabapentin to see if it helps. Thoughts?
 
@Jolease - I’ve been there. You should seriously consider getting a TKR.

I had a revision from a partial (kneecap) to a TKR recently. My partial surgery was June 19, 2017 and my revision to a TKR was October 2, 2018. I’m only 5 weeks as of yesterday but doing very well. From day one with my partial it was never good. At six weeks I could barely make a full rotation on the bike and was still in considerable pain. I never really got better. Stairs remained extremely difficult and I was in constant pain.

This time with the TKR things have been much different. By 2 weeks I could fully ride the bike and my ROM is great. Yesterday at PT my flexion was 125 and my extension was 1. I don’t take anything for pain any longer. I still have swelling and stiffness, but that is completely normal for 5 weeks. I saw my surgeon yesterday and they did xrays and everything looks great; perfect alignment.

The only issue, if you want to call it that, is that I have quite a bit of clunking with movement. My surgeon and others who have had a TKR that I know have told me this is normal and should diminish with time. The clunking is not painful but a little annoying. I’m getting better at ignoring it. I hope you feel better with a new surgeon and 2nd opinion.
 
@SueWStrong . Why did you need the revision? I’m not ruling it out, I’d just like answers as to what’s going on so if I do the TKR I won’t have these same issues.

I’m glad things are going well for you especially at 5 weeks!! Did the same surgeon do both your surgeries? Did you ever have any thigh weakness or feel like it didn’t belong on your body? Thanks for responding and happy healing!!
 
@Jolease Well like I stated above, I was in constant pain, worse than before I had the partial. It was significantly impacting my life. Xrays looked perfect so there was no clear reason for my pain. I did feel like my muscles and such were weak, but I’ve always been into exercise and did strength work regularly. We tried to continue with physical and manual therapy, a cortisone injection, medicine such as Lyrica, and nothing really helped. It always felt to me like the insert was too big for the space it was put into, but really that was not the case.

I did use the same surgeon. When the surgeon went in to do the revision to a TKR, she said there was a massive amount of scar tissue built up and over the insert and blood was pooling internally. I immediately felt different when the surgery was over this time. I had no problem getting up and putting weight on my leg the same day of surgery. When I had the partial, no matter what they did they couldn’t get the pain under control and every movement was like torture.
 
@SueWStrong What an awful time! I’m sure glad you feel better now and are doing well in your recovery especially at 5 weeks!. He says my xrays look good also. I was very much active and was a gym goer before my knee. It’s hard to describe, but one of the symptoms besides pain is my leg just feels heavy especially when I walk and lately the burning in my lower leg has gotten worse.

I have all these things written down for the new surgeon as some things are constant and some come and go. The irritation is always worse after a busy day but always there. The initial problem from the first surgery was the plate was not in properly so I had an impingement when I tried to walk or straighten leg fully which was terrible pain.

When he went in to adjust the plate he said the bone was so inflamed, I was just so happy after surgery that I could now straighten my leg. After the initial surgery pain subsided. I have had all these issues since. I did strengthening PT, massage on my leg, cortisone shot with ultrasound. I can ride a bike so I do that for exercise. I am thinking of trying acupuncture and cupping on my leg?

I feel like this is just a bad nightmare and I’ll wake up soon. I appreciate everyone’s own recovery good and bad. No one can understand unless you’ve gone through it. I’m way worse off than before my surgeries, that I do know :(.
 
@Jolease - I’m sorry you are going through all this and I really wish you the best. Chronic pain is so defeating and really wears a person down. Keep us posted on what you decide. Maybe you could ask for an MRI which may give more of a clue as to what is going on. I was worse off too than before my partial, but I already am doing better now at 5 weeks. I’ve had numerous orthopedic surgeries including both my elbows, left hip, right foot, both hands, but my partial and now total knee was my first actual replacement and by far the most difficult of all my surgeries. I have rheumatoid arthritis too which plays a role in all of this for me and they still suspect I may have a connective tissue disease as well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom