Guest viewing is limited

THR JoeKnows Recovery

@wonkyhipoy that's pretty much what I've been doing - basically just testing "does it work yet?" Even if I could actually put all my weight on the bad leg without falling over, I wouldn't be comfortable trying yet.

We are talking about the same thing - I've always been very sensitive to it. Err... I mean I found out I was sensitive when it became legal. Tiniest amount (about half what most places recommend as the "starting dose") puts me to sleep pretty reliably. Just like opiates though, don't want to make it a crutch.
 
....

My friend, you need to stop this ASAP. The muscles they cut are responsible for balancing. You risk doing some real damage here. Your hip muscles need support right now.....

Agree. I took the 'heal first' advice seriously from day 1, and stayed far far away from exercising. @Alitm also had some interesting information to share about how horses are cared for after equivalent physical trauma-- to paraphrase, they don't get them out and run them around and around the track the next day to 'speed up healing'. Or would anyone do that after being sawn & stitched up post car crash? But when we humans get involved, somehow an ego-driven persona steps in to give orders--as though the healing process is under our conscious control, and if we don't muscle our way along with set jaw (Type A very prone) then we are weak, lacking in will power, failures. The extra 10,000 steps, or demanding workouts (each one paid for in full in following days) in the early days are risky. Someone-- Joe?--posted something recently that nailed it so well. Will try to find that quote.

...Also, loved you "but I can't tell you what it is"... lol. I am in Canada... it is legal on the 17th of October.,, though medicinally has been legal for about 10 years... assuming we are talking about the same thing.

Cheers

I am in your neighbourhood. It's all very fuzzy right now. No, not that. I mean the science, evidence-based studies, etc. We might understand more in ten years (?)
 
@An54 are you referring to my comment about how we can't speed up healing, just avoid slowing it down? That's been my mantra to keep myself from being too stubborn. It's tough, because anything having to do with muscles triggers my ex-long distance runner "push through the wall" mentality. Of course I only apply that when it's actually bad for me; might actually have been useful pre-AVN if I'd gotten myself in better shape.

The science on the impact of the other thing is definitely fuzzy. Without getting too far into it, all I know for sure is that it had a significant effect on my sleeping patterns. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to run afoul of the rules (again).
 
@An54 are you referring to my comment about how we can't speed up healing, just avoid slowing it down..

That's the one! Went looking for it but couldn't find it again.

@An54.
...The science on the impact of the other thing is definitely fuzzy. Without getting too far into it, all I know for sure is that it had a significant effect on my sleeping patterns. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to run afoul of the rules (again).

I've had sleep challenges too. And I hear you on both counts. :)
 
The Hardcore History podcast works too for the same reason, actually... Forgot about that, I'll do it tonight for sure.
 
The stuff to which we are not referring to helped me greatly through bad pain in my last holiday although mixing it with rum was a very bad idea..
 
Ok I slightly overdid it yesterday. Not too bad though, and with it to hang out. I think the problem was playing Cornhole - at first I couldn't help but shift my weight when throwing, but I later learned to use just my arm (even with a walker, I'm still very good at yard games, haha).

So a bit more stiff this morning, but nothing bad. I did delay my plans to get off tramadol (though I only have 5 pills left anyway). Going to relax and watch football today.
 
Ok I slightly overdid it yesterday. Not too bad though, and with it to hang out. I think the problem was playing Cornhole -

Ya think?:headbang:
Added immediately to list of things not to do ten days after having leg sawed on AND reamed out and prosthesis inserted! Along with jumping on trampolines, playing horseshoes, tag, or red rover!!!
Yay for recliner..mine was my bestest buddy and still is.:)
Now, if you will allow me...though I know by now...Joe knows...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!!!
All said with true concern and an aversion to having to dispense "I told you so's":nah:
Going to relax and watch football today.
Thank goodness...gives me the day off from worrying:curtsey:
 
I'm sure it was the bean bags, too heavy for early recovery :heehee:
In all seriousness your theory sounds logical. Happy to hear you had fun though.
I'll bet watching the game along with lots of icing and maybe a nap will have you back to where you were.
It's too bad you don't have your recliner yet.
Have a good one!
@JoeKnows
 
Thank you both. @Mojo333 you should know - I'd still do it again, just maybe not today, haha. I figure this kind of thing is both more mild and more fun than PT. The only reason I'd hesitate is that Mrs. Joe might kill me. We had a bit of a disagreement regarding which of us is in a better position to set my limits... My point being that it's my body, her point being I have a track record of regretable decisions regarding said body (not limited to this recovery).
 
It's a tie.
You each have a valid point.
Listen to Mrs Joe so she fetches you things during the game. :yes:
@JoeKnows
 
In all seriousness, some over activity will just delay things.
As with my husband and I have had disagreements when he has health issues....we do worry that you will overdo...but mainly we just don't want you to sabotage your recovery so that you will get back to normal for OUR benefit.:heehee:
 
Ok, ok, I forgot about The List.
Mrs Joe Knows Best....always!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom