Guest viewing is limited

THR JoeKnows Recovery

This is a complete non-sequitor, but it's my thread so I'll post randomly if I want. I decided to weigh myself as I walked by the scale this morning. This was after a few cups of coffee, a bunch of water, and getting dressed for the day (my wife insists I do that for some reason). I weighed in at 201.6. Prior to the surgery, I vascillated between about 205-208.

I suppose I should attach a question to this so it doesn't sound like bragging: I've been planning on hiring a personal trainer, and I found one who has worked with joint replacements before (and he trains someone I know with pretty major bilateral displasia). I know everyone's recovery is different, and obviously I'll wait until I'm cleared by my OS, but what's the consensus on how long I should wait before starting a training program? Six months to give the bone time to grow in? Or can I start sooner and just be sure to take it easy on the hip? I don't plan to frt the trainer's opinion, since he couldn't help but be biased (not that he needs the work, he only agreed to take me on because we know a lot of the same people).
 
You did have a fracture of your femur that needs to be considered along with hip replacement!
@Josephine is likely to have some insight!
 
I was back in the gym taking things very easy and using the equipment without resistance after my OS released me. The surgeon wanted me to wait until I was at least 3 months out before adding any resistance. Be warned, your body will complain when you start using muscles that are still healing. Slow and steady is the best approach - backing off when you have any discomfort.

Having said all that - let's do the math. You are only days out of major surgery and have a fracture. Please don't even think about a workout until you let that hip heal.
 
In this case - JoKnows (aka Josephine)
 
@JoeKnows Have an awesome day.....recovery after a wee people party isn’t easy.....much less two weeks post op :bow:. Although I am a bit older than you, my 1st hip included the care and feeding of a 2 & 4 year old. Take care of yourself! My first 8 weeks of PT was simply trying to keep up with them, lol!
 
I don't plan to frt the trainer's opinion
You don't plan to WHAT the trainer's opinion? I really do hope the missing letter wasn't an a!
but it's my thread so I'll post randomly if I want.
Absolutely it's your thread! Make it as much of a "calf path" as you want!
Six months to give the bone time to grow in?
Well it all depends about the degree and site of the fracture you sustained.
I think you should discuss this with your surgeon.
 
JoeKnows, Stick with the walker!!!!!!!!

I've gone rogue (I know, everyone is shocked) and I've been using the cane today. Haven't left the house or anything, but so far so good. Only problem is my one year old thinks it's a toy, so it doesn't always stay next to my chair.

My four year old and my wife are getting their nails done right now, so luckily the little one is being pretty independent.
 
I started on the cane on day 11. Wasn't ready to abandon the walker though and I didn't. I overdid it the first day and was sore. So took it easy for the next couple days but still practiced until I felt confident ditching the walker. If you haven't read it here yet, it's advised you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping.

If you're limping try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. It works.

I'm not as worried about you using the cane as I am about you watching your one yr old, alone, at this stage of recovery.:yikes: That's a scary prospect unless the little darling is asleep.
@JoeKnows
 
Left THR September 6, 2018 (mini-posterior, expanded to access preexisting but undiscovered femur fracture)

Member ODIC - Chairman, Stubborn Idiot Sub-Committee


Who knew you could get so creative with your signature? Joe knew! @JoeKnows :)
 
@JoeKnows, on getting released for working out, I think you want to consult with your surgeon. Every surgeon cuts differently and has had different results with varying levels of recovery paces. So I'm not sure there is a general recommendation that would be helpful to you ...

I think you want to go with the specific successful recovery schedule that your surgeon has developed over years and years.

My surgeon generally releases people for more activity after a few months ... but his caution is always, "if it hurts stop." ... and "Pay attention to your body!"
 
I'm not as worried about you using the cane as I am about you watching your one yr old, alone, at this stage of recovery.:yikes: That's a scary prospect unless the little darling is asleep.

Yeah, I agree - the choice was not presented to me though. I pointed out that the timing of the manicures wasn't great, but that was not well received. I think Mrs. Knows needs a mental health day from the kids.
 
Left THR September 6, 2018 (mini-posterior, expanded to access preexisting but undiscovered femur fracture)

Member ODIC - Chairman, Stubborn Idiot Sub-Committee


Who knew you could get so creative with your signature? Joe knew! @JoeKnows :)
Thanks for the tip!! :rotfl:
 
  1. Only problem is my one year old thinks it's a toy, so it doesn't always stay next to my chair.
@JoeKnows I used to call my crew the Mommy Manslaughter club.....always strategically leaving a toy on the floor, carting off a cane, or jumping on me......so loving and yet unexpectedly dangerous, lol! Good luck, sir!
 
Haha @Toddlermom the only incident I had with the cane was when my four year old came sprinting around the corner and nearly took me out - I had to sort of catch myself with the op leg. Caused a quick flash of groin pain, but nothing concerning (I'm intimately familiar with the pain of trying to use a strained tendon, that's all this was).
 
By way of an update, I'm feeling the weekend right now. It's not bad, just sore. Very careful, slight stretching helps. Can't wait to take a hot shower, but I'm the only morning person in this house so I'll wait until everyone's awake.

I'm starting to experience the weird "zings" of pain going down my leg. Not super painful, just odd. At this point it's all more discomfort than pain. I'd pay a lot of money to be able to sleep on my side.

I think I'll call my massage therapist and see if she has a chair I can sit in. I think I could lay on my stomach, but no way I could stay like that very long. Just a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. She has the grip strength of a gorilla, muscle knots don't stand a chance. I'd have her stay away from the operated leg of course.

Mentally, last night was the first day of the blues - more accurately, frustration threatened to take over. Mrs. Knows and I have been getting on each other's nerves, and a lot of little things piling up. I think it's a good thing she's going into the office this week, I could use a quiet house to myself and she can use a break from me. I know this is hard on her emotionally - she spent a couple years helping to take care of her mom (brain cancer) before she passed about five years ago, and her mom's birthday was Saturday, so helping take care of me is probably dredging up memories.

Anyway, decent sleep resolved the mental issues (the acute issue anyway, my more fundamental mental issues aren't going anywhere, haha). Not sure what I'll do today - movies, reading, a giant puzzle a friend gave me, try to work a little... I'll just play it by ear.
 
Hang in there @JoeKnows. I think your reflections on Mrs. Knows' needs and the stress between you two are so thoughtful ... It's easy for a couple to get on each other's nerves ... especially when you're already stressed ... and yes, two young children are stress!

I hope you can get some time off ... whether with a babysitter ... or a mother or in law ... Let yourself get all the support you can get right now.

It'll be for the benefit of you and for the family. The massage sounds good ... I have an electronic shiatsu massager that does wonders for my knotted neck.
 
Hey I could really tell when the stress of caregiving began to wear on my husband..at about 10 days. Even though I was completely useless I noticed he started to snap at me and I just saw it for what it was...he was exhausted. Caregiving is hard. This is the first time in 33 years he has ever had to do this for me. Now I am trying to frame everything with humor and it is helping him more to just laugh at how ridiculous I am.
 
Last edited:
Well, the domestic situation seems to have worked itself out. Even just the work-day break from me and the girls was apparently enough to make Mrs. Knows realize that I'm perfect and infallible (okay, maybe not that, but at least it restored her patience with me and mine with her).

Also, I figured out an analogy for the way my hip muscles feel when I get up (the equivalent of what I think @Mojo333 calls stutter steps). You know those fancy soft-close cabinet hinges, where you can slam the door all you want but it'll still just ease it closed the last couple inches? When I stand and try to extend my leave for foot to the ground, my hip will move freely until the very end, then sloooowly releases the last bit of tension.

No real physical changes the last couple days. The incision is a bit more tender, hopefully a sign of healing (dressing comes off Thursday). My lower back is dying for a massage, although my massage lady usually does something to the glutes to release it that I know she couldn't do right now. On a possible TMI note, I realized the hard way that one should probably stop with the stool softeners when one stops the Norco...

Work hasn't bugged me recently, except a very soft inquiry about my return from a partner I don't mind telling to pound sand. I'm super lucky to have such supportive people (for the most part) in my professional life.

Besides that, just the typical frustration with the of recovery. Getting pretty boring in this house.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom