Guest viewing is limited

THR JoeKnows Recovery

Ha, ha @MrDIY, you gave me a laugh out loud chuckle this morning--I needed that, so thanks!
 
Okay all, I could use some input / reassurance. There's no question that I overdid it this weekend while I was playing photographer at the kiddo's birthday... I took the lack of restrictions to heart, so I was squatting and moving around quite a bit. Now, my slight upper quad pain has gotten pretty bad. It doesn't impede my walking really, but it's definitely different / worse than it was before.

At my six week appointment last Thursday, I managed to walk up the stairs at the ortho's office fairly normally. It hurt a bit, but I didn't need to take one at a time until the last few steps (probably 20 total). Now, I can't get up a curb if I try leading with my left leg.

It also hurts to do a straight-leg raise kind of motion, and when my leg is in front of me (like in a recliner or bed) and I flex extend my quad all the way. It really only hurts at the very end of the extension, but when the pain kicks in, it's probably a 5-6. When I stop the motion, it aches for a minute or two and then goes away.

What concerns me the most is that it hurts quite a bit to press on it. The location is a few inches down the quad from the crease between thigh and torso, and maybe an inch to the outside of the vertical center line. This pain also sometimes radiates to the top of the patella (not that I'm doing it frequently since, you know, I prefer to avoid pain).

The frontal lobe of my brain is saying, "of course it hurts, dummy, you've been pushing it too much! It's just a worse version of the muscle pain you had at your six week, and the surgeon said it's not unusual and your x-rays were good." However, the reptilian portion of my brain is yelling at me that something terrible has happened.

Alright, well I've pretty much talked myself into not worrying too much about it (and yes, I'm icing and trying to rest now), haha.
 
Personally, I think you overdid it. At only six weeks post op, your leg still has a lot of healing to do.
Go back to your meds if you feel the need, or at the very least OTC. Rest and ice and rest and ice.
You really have to make an effort to not overdo at this stage. I think you'll be fine but you've definitly kicked open the door and entered the ODIC. Was thinking we'd take you off "the list" but Nuh uh, not this week. :wink:
I hope it eases soon, behave and be patient.

Check out the Activity Progression again also (as a rough gauge) notice 6-7 weeks are still pretty laid back activity wise.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

@JoeKnows
 
Joe, Joe, Joe . . .

You, my friend, are almost as stupid as me!!!

Of course I have no idea if you have ripped out all the supporting tissues in your hip, or if you have a "minor" over-use pain!! But you and I BOTH have a history of doing too much too soon . . . and neither of us seem to be able to use rational judgement and go slow! Don't look to me for sympathy!! Heck, I'm in the middle of "managing" my own stupid over-use!!!!!

My sin??? Using my chain saw to cut up a tree that destroyed my chain link fence and let my four dogs out! And, of course, I decided that I could then use a maul to split the cut up sections!! I've been paying the price for that little mistake for about a week now! That is ignoring my little "un-official" 9 hole golf round after only two months.

I do hope you didn't REALLY hurt anything . . .
 
Okay all, I could use some input / reassurance. There's no question that I overdid it this weekend while I was playing photographer at the kiddo's birthday... I took the lack of restrictions to heart, so I was squatting and moving around quite a bit. Now, my slight upper quad pain has gotten pretty bad. It doesn't impede my walking really, but it's definitely different / worse than it was before.
.

Ya, I had that pain too - after I replaced the kitchen sink disposer... I realized afterwards that I hadn't put myself in that position (kneeling/squatting) in years, and so was stretching/exerting those muscles beyond their capacity. I'm a little more aware of my limitations now and use a bit more moderation while exploring.
 
Hi @JoeKnows, I woke up hyper about a week ago ... and started moving and cleaning and rearranging everything! ... Went up and down the stairs way too many times ... carrying items! ... sometimes carrying sorta heavy items ... OK ... sometimes carrying items in both hands! ... So I joined the ODIC.

My quad has had this really tender spot ... And gradually I cut back ... Just yesterday, I used the cane almost all the time even though I consider myself past that ... Today, I called my surgeon's office just to check in ... just to calm, as you describe, my reptilian brain. Nurse asked me how bad the pain was ... mine is more tenderness and soreness than excruciating pain. She asked me if I had a fever or temperature. I said no.

Icing works ... and uh ... paying attention works ... Interesting ... I've been taking it easy over several days ... and after the call with the nurse just made my peace with this little setback ... and tonight ... the quad feels a lot less tender.

There is a subtle psychology that I notice. In order to be reasonable and avoid the ODIC, I have to remind myself that yes, poor little me is a recovering hip replacement patient. I'm still recovering. I'm recovering. I had major surgery ... I need to take things easy ....

The problem is that basically I seem to move better everyday ... and I want to add one little extra task every few days ... and then ... well, I'm not a great cleaner ... but when I clean and straighten, I tend to go nuts ... and the other day I went nuts! ...

I think serious injury would be ongoing and excruciating ... But for a placebo effect, I suggest you call your surgeon, talk to a nurse or so ... doing so calms the reptilian brain ... And don't be afraid to continue to aggressively use that cain! ... for now ...
 
Last edited:
Well, I am clearly no doctor but it does certainly sound like garden variety overuse to me, @JoeKnows. I have to think it's extra hard with small children, and especially with a wild birthday party underway and you serving as photographer, not to push yourself too hard. You want to be the fun, engaged and active dad and but for this pesky recovery nonsense you'd be there. But, as you've admitted and several posts above have...ahem...reminded you, you had major surgery and you will take time to heal AND if you do stupid stuff you're gonna pay for it. Lesson learned for today so take it easy for awhile, and I'm betting you'll feel fine very soon. Deep breath...
 
Thanks everyone, that's what I needed to hear (well, read). I need to shut off the part of my brain that needs a logical explanation and linear progression for everything... Unfortunately that's most of my brain.
 
Your body is warning you that it needs care. On the surface things probably look fine but there is a lot of healing going on underneath and you have probably pulled some muscles. Overdoing stairs and bending too much did it for me. @Layla will have you in the naughty corner for sure. Watch Level raised to Defcon 2!
 
Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should

It Never Hurts, 'til You Stop


These two simple phrases were one among many thrown at me as I struggled to find out where the lines were...
They really are the ones that finally resonated.
Even though you are probably just experiencing complaints because your body is not ready for that activity ...these conditions...like tendinitis .. can take many months to resolve. Not Worth It...when a few weeks can make the difference.
Two months is still very early.

Hope it eases for you soon...give it some serious TLC.:ice:
 
Hey @JoeKnows, So sorry to hear about your visit to the ODIC :unsure:. So hard to rein yourself in at your child's b'day party, when you have been seemingly "set free" from restrictions and are feeling good. Prime time for over doing it :flabber: Hope that you have your cane, have backed off and are icing up. Did you end up checking in with your OS's office? Thinking of you and hope it passes soon.
 
You seem to be doing everything I did... and experiencing similar pains. And like me, you will probably do it again... if fact I just did (adductor muscle again).

I thin @Mojo333 said it best, “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”. Wish she gave me that advice before I had that third piece of cheesecake on the weekend... but what a tasty cheesecake!!!

Cheers
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Wednesday!
I hope your discomfort is easing, Joe.
Let us know how you're doing when you have time.
A great day to you! :)
@JoeKnows
 
@Layla - Seems to be improving. It still bugs me if I make a squatting motion, or try to push my office chair back with weight on the left leg... but as long as it's trending the right direction I'm fine with just not doing those things, haha.
 
Ugh, @JoeKnows, I share your frustration! I am feeling grumpy this morning, as if I've reached a plateau in healing and knowing that I've still got a long road to travel. On one hand I'm doing fabulously well--end of Week #4 and walking unaided without pain or balance problems--but still tired and clearly aware that what seems like even the smallest bit of overdoing it causes my right and now--curses--my unoperated left hip to ache. Recovery early on was tough, but I almost think it's harder now--as you've clearly experienced--as you feel so good and are so apt to forget you're still in healing mode, and will be for an unconscionably long period of time, and thus you overdo things and set yourself back. I feel your pain! But today is another day, another day in recovery, another day to do it right and not be dumb (such a lofty goal, no?)
 
Last edited:
Great news that you feel it's improving!
I wouldn't even do a squatting motion, try not to test it right now to see if it still hurts.
Just ice and rest when your able. I'm sure it was all the party action on Saturday and if there were adult beverages involved, you were probably feeling good and easily overdid it.
Have a great Thursday!
@JoeKnows
 
Back
Top Bottom