THR JoeKnows Recovery

@JoeKnows, say more if you will about the helpful massage. Did the massage focus on the sore area of your leg? Just curious. Wouldn't have thought of massage for the hip ... though my neck and shoulders ALWAYS could benefit from a massage.
 
Squatting or sitting on the floor to play with the kids is so beyond my memory, I think my brain won’t want to go there. For now, going into a store without using the ramp,or a cane is a victory. But, every day there’s progress: if I don’t notice it ( I do get frustrated), others do. Patience.
 
@Going4fun - I had her focus specifically on the part that hurt. It's hard to specify where... pretty sure it's the rectus femoris attachment point, as well as around the top of my knee. Basically the front hip flexor muscles I guess. She's normally very heavy with the pressure (to the point that I'm usually not 100% comfortable, but feel great afterward), but she started light and increased. Considering it hurt when I pushed on it earlier, and she was basically putting her body weight through her elbow into the same spot by the end, it definitely worked for me. She also did some cupping in the area of the scar, but frankly I think that's voodoo (she believes it works though, and I always feel great when I leave, so I just roll with it).

Of course, I had her do the full body since I had 90 minutes and massages are just generally awesome.

@Atkinson8 - I definitely wasn't squatting in the conventional sense... now way could I get into a catcher's position like I used to. I had no problem getting into a position with my left knee (operative side) on the ground and my right leg at a right angle to my body (like when the coach tells you to "take a knee," basically)... getting up from there, however, was a different story. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that getting up process was just too much load on a muscle that's gotten used to being lazy over the last six weeks (or longer).

In any case, I still get very minor pain if I try the motions that were causing pain before, but I'd say it's gone from a 4-5 at peak to a 1-2 over the last couple days. So it's time for me to push it again!!! Haha kidding, I'll keep taking it easy.
 
:banghead:I just did the same thing, and I'm now at 11 weeks post. Went to the OU/TCU game last Sat, and sat way up high. MANY steep steps to get up to our seats. And of course, you don't do it just once. Up to the seats, down for concessions...up to the seats, down to the bathroom, etc, etc. I was very sore for the next several days- felt very similar to how it did before I had the surgery, with groin pain. Actually took an oxy when I got home, for the first time in a long time. It has now resolved, but had me worried and frustrated. So yep... there is still healing going on! :no-fin:
 
@JoeKnows So glad the massage helped. Onwards with the healing....

I'm seeing my RMT next week for the first time post-op. She is excellent, can't wait.
 
Hearing about your massage, @JoeKnows, as well as others who've received good results from then, maybe I'll have to try it. I was never a fan, having had a few and they never did much for me. Felt nice at the time but absolutely felt just the same afterwards, so just an expensive hour or so--felt as if it would have been cheaper to go to the movies instead. When I had sciatica a few years ago, (thought it was my back but probably just my hips) I did a more therapeutic massage targeted for this (as opposed to the lovely woo-woo massages, complete with atonal wailing music in the background, the ones you get at hotel spas) and it felt good but as soon as I hopped off the table, my symptoms had returned before I reached my car. I adore facials but somehow not thinking they'd be of any value for my hips (!) but it would be a nice distraction.
 
ha ha "woo woo massages" love it.. My Physio did a good massage last week for around 20 minutes just working on my really tight muscles and I really missed the massage this week.
 
Well, @JoeKnows, maybe after six weeks, if I am approved for PT (really hoping that will be the case), I can get the PT folks to give me a more targeted, medical massage. Y'all make them sound really effective and worthwhile.
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear you're doing better.
I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@JoeKnows
 
Hi :wave:
Wondering how you've been, Joe.
Have you completely recovered from your daughter's party?
Hopefully so. Let us know when you have time.
Warm wishes for a wonderful week!
@JoeKnows
 
Hey @Layla - yep, those problems are resolved. Of course, since then I've done about a million other little things to anger the hip muscles, haha. Good news is, none of them have resulted in that loss of motion / loss of strength feeling - instead it just feels like I've worked out muscles that haven't been worked out (which I take as a very good sign). Range of motion is getting better too; I won't say it's easy, but I can get a sock on my left foot now without the sock contraption.

Haven't been around these boards much, things have just been busy. October is crazy for family stuff anyway, and then add in some changes at work... But now things should start slowing down. We actually have no commitments this weekend! Haha.
 
We understand. Stop by when you're able, always nice to hear from you.
I'm glad you're feeling better. Hope your day is sweet!
@JoeKnows
 
:wave:
Glad you will get a break this weekend..wish my kids were still trick or treat ages...love to raid their candy caches!
Yay for putting on socks...better and better.
I think wonderful for not even two months out:yes:
 
Since I woke up at an ungodly hour and went to work, I feel justified in procrastinating by writing a more detailed update, haha.

Still getting some random pains (like the trochanter area of my non-operated hip), but all is good right now. Yesterday I had to drive for a couple hours, and didn't stop for a break. When I got out of my truck, I seriously considered going back to the cane I was so stiff... but by the time I got from my truck to the office I was going to, it had loosened up. I still get a limp when I'm tired, but if I think about it I can walk normally with just a slightly sore feeling in my quad. Going up stairs is probably the most difficult thing; I can feel the difference in muscle between my right and left glutes, so I'm sure that's just going to take time to rebuild. The only other little thing is some groin pain if I try to put my left foot up while sitting down (basically pulling my foot up with my knee already straight). If my knee is bent, no problem, I'm guessing it's just the extra weight from doing it while my foot is already extended.

We'll see how trick or treating goes, but I don't expect problems. Lately I've felt like I can walk as much as I want to, it's the squat / leg press / stair climbing motion that gets me. I've noticed that I stand up from a chair with my weight entirely on my right leg... I should probably (slowly) start using both to build up strength.

Sleeping is much, much better now that I can move around and lay on my operated side comfortably.

So the short term goals are just building strength and trying to get more range of motion in terms of bringing the knee up toward my chest or crossing my left leg over my right. The latter I can sort of do, and it doesn't hurt, but I think the soft tissue is just "shortened" since I haven't been doing that motion for months. At the last appointment the surgeon said it was fine to do that, he just doesn't want me doing the weird motion with the foot to the outside of my body and knee brought up (which I don't think I ever have or ever would do, haha).

Anyway, back to work. Hope everyone's doing well on here!
 
I forget....is your other hip (non-op) bad / arthritic?
My feeling is that the stiffness after driving a length of time is normal at this point.
I've read of many saying they tend to limp when tired, I did myself early on.
Cautioning you to be careful IF you're taking your girls trick or treating in the dark.
I'd stay on pavement in the dark as opposed to walking on uneven lawns with surprise divets or holes to throw you off. I also noticed favoring my op leg months after surgery. I'd catch myself with all my weight on non op leg often. Feeling it's out of habit if you favored the deteriorating hip for any length of time.
You're doing well, Joe. Great to hear. Keep it up!
Have fun with the little princesses tonight! Favorite Halloween candy? Mine would be Snickers :happydance:
@JoeKnows
 
@Layla - No arthritis, and all looked good to the ortho. Of course since my left was AVN, I worry about it affecting the right hip too... but mine was probably due to steroids, which I haven't been taking for a while now (my general doctor kept prescribing them for sinus issues, which I eventually resolved with surgery).

We'll just be walking around our neighborhood tonight - it's well lit and the sidewalks are level. I'll probably take the cane along just in case, though I hope not to need it.
 
Wise choice with the cane. It can be your Halloween prop :old: :heehee:
:fingersx: Fingers crossed the AVN doesn't affect Righty.
Have a good one!
 
JoeKnows is on the move. Glad to read the update.
Onward and Upward:egypdance:
 
Glad to read things are doing so well, @JoeKnows. Sounds like just some continuing issues to work on (have you tried some PT by now? Does/did it help at all?) Hope it won't be raining in your neck of the woods tonight. I always made the dad go out with kids on Halloween eve as it too often was raining like mad. I stayed home and passed out candy to trick-or-treaters when the doorbell rang.
 
Does JoeKnow it's his anniversary today?
Happy Two Month Anniversary!!
I hope you're having a great week so far, Joe.
Take care and have a wonderful Wednesday.
@JoeKnows
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom