TKR JLP's Recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sorry. I didn't realize this wasn't arthritis caused. No wonder you are upset. I pray that you will heal completely and will eventually be glad that you have a new knew.
 
It will get better. It just takes more time than we think it should. Give yourself some more time and try not to look for improvements day to day but more like over weeks and months. I'm sure that you will eventually come to appreciate that your pain when walking has disappeared. Hang in there.:flwrysmile:
 
Yes I am sorry I had it done. Mine was not from arthritis but from avascular necrosis and a stress fracture. The only issue I had was pain while walking. I could kneel, squat, etc with my right knee. I wish I had given it more time to heal. I was on crutches all summer 2015 and the AVN was much better. We were surprised when the OS said I needed a TKR. The TKR is going to limit some things that I could do before surgery. I doubt I will ever be able to sit tucked up into a ball to watch TV anymore. Just things like that. I will always wonder if this was really necessary or would time or additional treatment have healed the knee.
@JLP ... I'm sorry to hear you feel this way about your TKR. You know, I do believe that if you give yourself some time, your feelings will change. It is quite normal to feel this way with a new knee that is still healing. I agree with your decision to go back to pain medication at night. Four weeks out is usually a bit soon to stop all pain meds and the discomfort you're having at night shows it's too soon for you. You might also try icing your knee both front and back at night. Just be sure to use a towel between the ice source and you to protect your skin. It can be quite comforting.

While I don't know the extent of your necrosis, I can tell you that it was not healing. When bone dies like this it does not come back to life. In fact, chances are quite good that the necrosis would have worsened, so your surgeon's recommendation for a knee replacement was in all probability what you needed at the time it was suggested. More time would have not healed your knee. And dead bone cannot be "treated." Please try not to doubt your decision.

If it's any consolation, I have had both knees replaced and can now sit like I used to on the couch with one leg curled up under my body. So you may find that you can do all or most of the things you did pre-op if you give yourself time to get there. Recovery can last up to a year or more. Of course you are completely mobile during this time, but it just may take those months to gain back all the movement you had before. Remember, gentle progress is better than trying to push yourself.
 
I think my OS did a great job and I am sure that my replacement knee will eventually operate as it is supposed to. But it will not do the same job that my own knee did just before surgery. I think I am doing pretty well in my recovery. My new knee does feel like it has been possessed by an alien but I am sure it will eventually lose that feeling. Cut my Percocet (5/325) in half last night and just took 1/2 a pill twice. Worked just fine. Hopefully will be able to stop that in the next week or two.
 
I'm sure your new knee will eventually work a whole lot better than your natural knee was going to work in a short while. As Jamie said, bone necrosis doesn't heal and without the TKR you would have gradually become more and more disabled.

Have you read these stories of what people can do with a TKR?
[library] Stories of amazing knee recoveries
 
Thanks for the link. I will never know if the knee would have gotten worse. What is done is done and I just have to learn to live with it. I am sure I will over time.
 
I think many people at one month say "why did I do this?" Hang in there--we're here to support you.
 
Thanks so much for the support. I am far away from family and friends with the only other person I interact with is my spouse. Your support is really appreciated.
 
Many times when I feel really bad, all I want is my mama, and my mama has left this life. It nice that you have a husband, but men sometimes don't seem to be as patient and understanding as a woman friend. I am so blessed to have many friends from my church. Since my family is not around here and I'm single, they are a gift! Just remember that you have all of us here you can lean on and many of us are praying for you! And that is a gift to you from us!
 
I'm almost 11 weeks out and I'm still asking why I did this!!
But I have to remain confident that I have done the right thing. And that I am getting better now not worse. No point now going down "what if" road.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It can't be undone that is for sure. My spouse has been great. He was ready to give back kitchen duty as fast as he could and thankfully, we had a bunch of pre cooked and frozen things that makes meal prep easy. He has been doing all the laundry and running all the errands. We are full time RVers and we always head south for warmer weather in the winter. Unfortunately, I have been cooped up almost the entire time we have been here. I met another couple but they moved on to Arizona for the rest of the winter. Good thing my spouse is my best friend. That is essential for living in such close quarters. And I am thankful for all the kind words and support from the Bones Smart family. I guess I just need an attitude adjustment.
 
Feeling cooped up is yet another down side to the whole healing process. My husband's TLC lasted about 5 days, if that! Try and tell yourself that there's no hurry and make the most of each day to rest and get stronger?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your husband sounds wonderful and sounds like your best friend! All of us who are alone are envious of you. And how exciting traveling to see our glorious country. Each day is a new adventure.
 
Wish I could talk my husband into full time RVing! He's more of a homebody and pretty big hoarder :). So it would be hard to move to an RV! But I agree his complete support has made things so much easier. Wish for the rest of you who don't have it that you find more support.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you ever get the chance, travel to Alaska. It is wonderful!
 
I think many people at one month say "why did I do this?" Hang in there--we're here to support you.
Agree! I think I have said this a hundred times at least in the last12 days! It hurts, it' s stiff... and an overall pain. My "adult " head says that I know it was for the best! I think we all fight to get off the pain drugs, not sure why it is so important..I have it in my head too. Keep note of your daily improvements. I have been journaling and that helps vent frustrations and see how I am getting better too.
 
I know in the first few weeks with knee number 2 I said "I did this voluntarily? Twice?!" :heehee: But gradually I saw the improvements.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom