Guest viewing is limited

TKR JLP's Recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, going down the stairs is another matter
Going down the stairs without issues was one of the last aspects of my BTKR that I could actually celebrate---it took soooooooooooooooo long.
nd it is still very painful at night and I still have to sleep with a pillow between my knees.
Sleep eluded me for quite some time after my BTKR---while I was not in the pain that you are in, I just could not ever get comfortable. I actually would fall asleep for about an hour or so, and then I would wake up, and then the fun began. I would wander to the guest bedroom, to the couch in the living room, to the futon in the computer room, and in a fit of exhaustion, I would throw the futon mattress on the floor and finally crash there.
I start to worry that I have traded one type of pain for another.
No, I am willing to bet that in a while, you will be amazed at how great you feel. It takes time to fit all of the pieces into the puzzle---and that time can be frustratingly long. It is soi very much worth it, though.
 
We live and travel full time in an RV so wandering during the night is not possible. Sleeping with a pillow between my knees is not conducive to a good night's sleep. Every time I move, I wake up. Not sure why my knee is still so painful. I have a great range of motion but it feels very stiff and I have several very sore spots around/on my knee. We have started our journey north with our RV from our wintering over and it was not all that pleasant to sit in the truck for 5 hours. We did stop for a short break but that really did not help.

I am looking forward to the day when I no longer think of my knee. I did not suffer from arthritis. I had avascular necrosis and a stress fracture that would not heal. I only suffered with pain for a year and just limped when I walked. I am not sure how the majority here coped with the long term pain they experienced before replacement. My knee is much more painful now than it was before TKR.
 
I am looking forward to the day when I no longer think of my knee.
Much like me!!! I thought about my knees all of the time. I would wonder if "today was the day that everything would finally fall into place?" Actually, there was no "magic date"---it just seemed to all come together slowly, and then I realized that everything felt fine.

I can go for days now without thinking that my knees are 53 years younger than me. You will get there, too!
 
I had that same issue of pain when I turned at night and straightened my leg - a few weeks ago I realized it had just disappeared. (That particular issue, not all pain is gone). I'm at about 11 weeks, so hopefully soon for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow, not sure what happened. My knee has swelled up quite a bit and is very sore basically everywhere-on top of the knee, below the knee, down my shin, and down the outside of my knee. The most severe pain is on the outside of my knee by the tibia. After three months, I am surprised that it is so swollen and sore. Could sitting in a truck for about 5 hours a day for three days in a row be the cause of this? The knee is warm to the touch too. I had to take some Percocet for the first time in a long time. My knee hurts much worse than before I had surgery. SAtrange thing is that I have great ROM and have found only 2 things that I cannot do-go down stairs foot over foot and get on our motorcycle. I know it takes time but it seems that many on this forum seem to make substantial progress by three months and I seem to be going backwards. Any suggestions?
 
I am surprised that it is so swollen and sore. Could sitting in a truck for about 5 hours a day for three days in a row be the cause of this?
You bet it could! Especially if it's day after day.
Part of the problem could be this:
Pain: Movie sign in TKR

It's only 3 months since your surgery, which is only a quarter of the way to full recovery. Your knee is going to swell with extra activity or when you do something it doesn't like for at least another 3 months, probably even longer.

Once you get to where you are heading and you can "baby" your knee again, it will probably settle down. Meanwhile, do all you can to help it, by resting, elevating and icing as much as you can. Don't stint on the pain medications - many people still need to take them regularly at 3 months.

Don't worry about stairs. It's not at all uncommon for it to take 4 months or more before you can negotiate them one foot at a time.

I know that 3 months seems like a long time, but this recovery really is a long and slow journey.
 
Thanks so much for your comments Celle. You always lift my spirits and help me get back on track.
 
I'm glad to help. I often think that being patient is the hardest part of this long recovery.
 
I am now at the 4 month mark and some things are better and others are not. My knee hurts like crazy if I do anything at all with it. It is still swelled, stiff, and warm to the touch. The good news is that I can do most things as long as I am willing to deal with the resulting pain. I can go down most stairs normally and can even prop my leg up in my small RV shower for grooming. I can even kneel on the knee because it is numb and I cannot feel anything. I was worried that I would never be able to swing my leg through to sit on our big Harley. My spouse gets on, then I must step up and swing my leg through and over my much higher seat without damaging the motorcycle or messing up spouse's back. It requires quite the knee bend to accomplish. I was able to do that the other day and will have to do it again today even though my knee is not very happy today. Spouse is trading for a trike which will be much easier for me to get on and off since riding is an important part of our lives. It does seem like the knee gets better, then worse. I just wish it did not take so long to heal. It really impacts what one can do. I am taking Tylenol for pain and it does help some however sometimes the pain is so bad, it takes my breath away. Hoping for better things in the future! Oh, one more thing to add. I have been icing using their same ice packs the entire time. The one under my knee is a commercial bag that is covered and the one on top is a homemade one. I blistered the back of my knee the other day while icing. I had not used a cover because the ice pack had one. Not sure why it caused this now since I have been using this ice pack the entire time. I always use a cover on the homemade ice pack. I was surprised this occurred.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! I bet that burn hurts. Have you seen your OS lately about the warmth and swelling? I will say it hasn't been but in the last few weeks (I am six months) that I really felt happy about my surgery. I still have some swelling and pain when it is so swollen. (Managed now with a mid thigh compression) I get the Lightning bolts of nerve regeneration sometimes also. I am happy you are able to ride! Some normalcy and a return to things you like makes life more enjoyable.
 
@JLP - I think you're doing very well.
In terms of this year-long recovery, at 4 months your knee is still only a toddler. It will still let you know when you've asked too much of it, and will throw a tantrum, with increased pain and swelling. Try not to cause it too much pain - just increase your activity gradually and back off if necessary.

Keep an eye on the swelling and warmth. If they increase without you having increased your activity, seek a doctor's advice. (My last knee still felt warmer than the other knee for almost a year.)

To be able to get back on the Harley is quite an achievement.
 
I do not see the OS until January 2017. I saw him at 2 weeks and then again at 6 weeks and that was it. I am no longer in that area and will not return until December so I will not be seeing him soon. I guess I am just impatient and wish that doing anything did not cause pain and swelling. And it is very unpleasant when first getting out of bed in the morning. I finally was able to retire the pillow I used between my legs while sleeping. So progress is being made even though it is slower than I would like. Good thing is that Tylenol has been working for me.
 
@JLP- We had our surgeries on the same day, so I'm following your recovery with great interest. I still have significant stiffness and a "mechanical" clunking, without pain, all of the time. I have good range of motion and strength, but terrible ankle aches that really annoy me. I can walk pretty far, but the ankle flares slow me down. Presently, I'm dealing with scar tissue problems that have plagued me since the beginning. I had a special MRI which confirmed that the scar tissue is there. Sometimes its better than others but annoying nonetheless. I am now taking Celebrex daily, icing when able and trying not to do too much exercise, which is difficult for me. I aggravated my hamstring tendon on the elliptical, so now that's an issue and makes going down the stairs difficult. I keep wondering WHEN will this end? I have 2 different PTs, and an acupuncturist. I'm very discouraged and will contact my OS in a few weeks if things don't miraculously improve. Let's hope the day comes when we can stop thinking about this horrid procedure. Good luck to us both!!
 
It really does take a full year for complete recovery. I know how hard that is to remember, but it's true.
You had major surgery and now your knee has two large, metal foreign bodies in it. If you can make allowances for that, it will be easier not to stress when your knee gets cranky.
 
I am at 5 months post surgery this week and I thought my knee would be much less painful by this time. It is really swelled and I have started limping again. The outside of my knee is really sore and so is the top of the knee. I am just taking Tylenol for the pain but it does not seem to help much. My extension and flex are great but my knee feels so stiff and painful. Icing does not help much either. I cannot see ortho because I am not currently in that part of the country. I realize that it take a year for it to fully heal but one would think there would be drastic improvement this far along.
 
Can you see an OS where you are now? It might be a good idea to have some fresh eyes look at your knee. I hope you start to feel better soon.
 
I am also same as you 5 months out still lots of pain and more pain ..
It plain sucks ! Wishing you the best :) I had to go back to doctor and get pain relief taking tramadol at night to sleep .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Barring nothing wrong, at this point in your recovery, patience is the key. I know it seems like the recovery will never end, but it will get better. At 7 months, things are finally settling down for me. Just take one day at a time.
 
So, it has been a while since I have posted and now about 10 months since surgery. I am surprised that my knee is still so darned sore. The knee joint is sore and feels stiff though it is not and about 3-4 inches along the outside of the knee is very sore. I have not found anything I cannot do as long as I am willing to deal with the pain. My range of motion is great-about the same as my other knee which has no issues. I am still using a pillow between my knees to sleep at night (side sleeper) and really can only sleep a couple hours at a time because the knee is so sore. Will not see the ortho until January as we will not be back in that area until then.

Any thoughts on why it is still so painful?
 
I am same out as you with same problem. Still hurts a lot but can do most anything :( . I am hoping wake up one day and it's all healed up lol
Hope yours gets better soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom