TKR JLP's Recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I *never* lose my appetite--but I did with both tkrs. Luckily I wasn't nauseous. Just try to eat a little something throughout the day and with your pain meds, just as others have said.
 
Yesterday for the most part was a better day than today. I woke up feeling unwell today. I must have moved my knee incorrectly because I had a massive pain shoot through my thigh just above the knee. This spot continues to be sore and provides the only trouble I have doing PT. I still have trouble walking around without my crutches and even using a cane, I find walking very painful. I thought I would be more mobile than this after approximately 2 weeks. My incision looks great and the PT says I am doing very well. Just do not feel very well.
 
I thought I would be more mobile than this after approximately 2 weeks.
You are going through exactly what many of us have gone through---but remember, please, that the first four weeks of a TKR recovery are called the "Dark Days of Recovery"---and for good reason.

It does require a great deal of patience for this recovery, and you have to understand and remind yourself that it is slower than we would like it to be and slower than we are prepared for.

Some recoveries can take upwards of a year to be complete---mine took eight months, and I continued to gain ROM for close to a year of post-TKR.

It is important to understand how much surgical trauma was done to the knee---it was devastated! Please be pantie, ice, elevate, and continue to take those pain meds on the clock.
 
I still have trouble walking around without my crutches and even using a cane, I find walking very painful. I thought I would be more mobile than this after approximately 2 weeks.
It's only 2 weeks since you had major surgery. Most people are still using crutches or a walker at this stage. There's no need to rush to get rid of the walking aids and no prizes for getting rid of them early.
Keep using them, because trying to walk without them is putting more stress on your knee than it is ready for yet.

I think that, somehow, you weren't prepared for a recovery that does take a long time. It's a marathon, not a sprint and you'll have to dig deep into your store of patience.

I think this article explains it very well:
Life in the slow lane
 
I am prepared for a long recovery but thought I would be feeling a tiny bit better after 2 weeks instead of considerably worse.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The first two weeks were pretty lousy for me--but that is normal. Still on a walker, pain meds by the clock etc. But hang in there, it will gradually get better.
 
Finally able to eat regular food tonight. Did not eat much but my poor hubby has been trying to find food that will appeal to me. This makes it easier on him.
 
Your appetite will catch up with you. I just ate some very small amounts of food during the day. I ate only what I thought I could keep down. Hang in there.
 
Horrible quad pain that gets worse every day. One slight move and I am in agony and crying. Never experienced anything like this before.
 
Are you still doing PT? What are you doing at home as far as PT? I am sorry you are having so much trouble. It does seem there is not end in sight at times. You are in my prayers for lessened pain and better healing.
 
Thanks so much. I am still doing home PT but there are only 2 exercises that give me any problem and they both involve quads. I find the other exercises to be very easy and the PT person is caring and gentle. It is wonderful to have such wonderful support from Bone Smarties who have already gone through this.
 
I am still doing home PT but there are only 2 exercises that give me any problem and they both involve quads.
So don't do those two exercises. They aren't essential and obviously they're too much for your knee right now.
Remember the mantras:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
 
Just keep in mind one thing, better days are ahead. I had my right knee done in July, the first few weeks were so rough, at times I thought I was regressing. Don't let it get to you, it just takes time. It's normal and I it, but never gauge your progress by someone else's either, we all heal differently, that will just mess with your mind. And I thought the same way, that I'd be better a little by a certain point and it messes with your mind but just rest, relax and just remember it will come.

I just completed my left TKR on the 19th of Jan, this one has been a breeze so far. I'm glad the rough one came first, otherwise I'd been wondering what was doing on. I'll be healing with you if you have any questions.
 
BIL is having TKR on 9 Feb. She is not letting him know of my difficulties because she is afraid that he will not do the surgery. I am sure better days are ahead but it is difficult to see the better days when each day passes in a pain filled haze. I am glad for the support. Not near any family for support so your support has been very important to me.
 
Remember that your knee is a mere baby right now. At this point, mostly rest with just some movement is probably all you need.
Just curious, what quad exercises are they having you do?

How's it going with the crutches? Would a walker work better? The idea is to take the strain off those traumatized tissues.
 
I live and travel full time in an RV (our choice, we love to travel) so there is not enough room for a walker. I have no issues with the crutches. I just have to go outside to do any walking. One of the exercises is to lift the knee up in front of me and the other is seated with a lift from a bent knee. Those two are painful. My quad muscles tighten up and become hard as rock. It even hurts to touch the skin on my thigh.
 
Neither exercise is necessary. You'll get all the exercise you need, just by taking short walks.
By hurting so much, your knee is telling you not to do those exercises. Listen to the knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom