TKR JLP's Recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one get copies of X-rays to post? Take a cell picture?
 
That's what I did. I asked for a copy. They printed them out and when I got home I took a picture with my phone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ortho appointment yesterday and thankfully, I did not have an infection. I do have bursitis and patellofemoral pain syndrome and physical therapy was prescribed. It is a big relief that I do not have to have more surgery. Not sure what caused this because overuse is not an issue. Knee just started getting ore painful in mid-Oct.
 
What a good report! None of us want more surgery.
 
So on the recommendation of the ortho, I have started physical therapy again because of a vise like feeling on the top of my replacement knee. He diagnosed it as patellofemoral disorder. I have been going to PT for a couple of weeks with no visible relief. I have a very small, about 2 inches in length, very sore spot on the outside of my knee and PT initially thought it was IT band issues. I have had pain in this area since surgery. However, it is only this very small spot and the rest of my IT band is just fine. I had a deep massage on Thursday that was so painful on that spot that it brought tears to my eyes. The PT said that small area was incredibly tight for some unknown reason. The massage left me with a pretty significant bruise and there has been no improvement with the pain and it is actually more painful than before. My family practice doc prescribed Voltaren (topical anti inflammatory) thinking that it might help. The physical therapists thinks my range of motion is amazing so that is not the issue.

Any suggestions. After more than a year after surgery, I am tired of all this pain in my new knee.
 
Massage is OK. Painful massage that causes bruising is not. Ask your therapist not to do that again.

You could try alternating heat and icing on that particular sore area.
 
I will try the heat and ice. No more massaging like that for sure. I just do not understand what the sore spot could be. PT is puzzled too.
 
It's still so very early in recovery. You will get odd pains all over your knee. Don't forget that a lot of your soft tissues were handled during the surgery and they probably didn't like it.
 
JLP,
For a copy of your x rays, call the OS's office and ask to speak to medical records, they obtain a copy for you.
Have you sought a second opinion? Seems you have had problems since the early days, being over a year a fresh set of eyes may see something else.
For a second opinion be sure to seek out an OS that specializes in revisions, they have the experience and education to figure out what is going on with troubled TKR's. Most surgeons offices will have it listed as revisions, or complex knee reconstruction.
Hope you get to the source of your pain and swelling.
 
Hi JLP, i am 4 weeks post op and wished i would have found this forum sooner. I got relatively poor advice from my dr. about what to expect, how much to ice, and exercises. I had a PKR outpatient and was given a booklet of exercises to begin on day 2. Doing those I am sure slowed my recovery. My PT had me back off and ice more. Listen to the advice here to take it slow.
 
I agree that a second opinion is warranted at this point. I would suggest a revision specialist as they are used to look at problems post TKR and offer their suggestions. My revision OS did his own sets of X-rays which easily showed a problem. Why my other OS never saw it I don't know. Maybe he never even looked at it.
 
The deep massage ended up being very helpful. Seems I had an adhesion and now that it has been broken loose, the pain in that area has diminished greatly. I still have the stiff feeling but the implant is not loose and my gait is normal. I do have bursitis so maybe the ortho will take care of that next visit and maybe that will help the stiff feeling. Trying to be optimistic that all will be well.
 
Finally looks like my knee is getting better after more than a year. When I had my second round of PT this past Jan/Feb, the therapist found some adhesions in several places around my knee. Two were on the IT band on the outside of my knee and one was below the knee cap on the inside of my knee. The deep massage was extremely painful but it worked and the pain from those areas is now gone. It improved my flex by 10 degrees from 125 to 135.

My knee still feels stiff and ortho does not know why I have this sensation. My X-rays are fine, my gait is fine, and he even xrayed my hip to make sure I did not have any problems. Her also ordered blood work to rule out infection. He did give me an injection for bursitis which was effective. His advice was to try to ignore the stiff sensation especially since the knee is not stiff at all and bends really well.

I was not expecting for my recovery to take this long but I sure am happy my knee is no longer painful.
 
I'm glad your knee is feeling better at last, @JLP

Even though my knees are 2 years and 5 years old, they still feel stiff if I've been sitting still for a while. I think it's because while I'm not moving them they don't make the stuff that lubricates the joint. After I've taken a few steps, the stiffness goes away. It's sort of like putting oil on a rusty hinge.
 
I'm the same way. It takes a few steps to get moving smoothly. I'm just thrilled to be moving!
 
Mine has a stiff feeling all the time. It feels like it will not bend but of course it does. The ortho says he cannot relate because he has not had a knee replacement but it is a complaint he had not heard before. The stiff feeling is in addition to the numbness over most of my knee area. Nothing appears to be wrong with the replacement joint. Maybe it is some sort of nerve damage? I will just try to ignore it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom