TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Isn't Mt. Washington awesome? I hope you bought a cap or T-Shirt to commemorate your *climb*, lol! Portland is a great little city, so it's too bad you didn't get to spend more time there and in that general vicinity. Next time, eh? Vermont is a really *empty* state, more cows than humans, but picture postcard beautiful in so many places.
Yikes, you got in and OUT of a kayak? :rofsign:I really CAN picture that and it ain't pretty, lol! That said, huge kudos just for doing it! Rock on Jen!
 
Jen - what great progress! I love your new kitten! He is adorable and looks like a great snuggle kitty!

It sounds like your trip was a lot of fun and very active! Isn't it great to be able to do all those activities! I can't imagine getting into a kayak even now. Kudos to you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Luckily most of the trip was just sitting around chatting with friends. And lots of driving - but I was the passenger!

Driving is finally getting almost painless, btw. Yay!!
 
Your post made my night. How exciting all of it is! You did climb a mountain, and went kayaking, and if the video shows up we will all deny it is of you. I'm living vicariously through your amazing travels.

Wheelchair assist is both a blessing and a hazard. On our last cruise, the Big Italian Family ended up with an extra old person. Dad was in a wheelchair (with helper) as we disembarked en masse, and this other steward kept following us with this older woman. We figured he knew where she was going, but he brought her out of the terminal and to where we were waiting for our ride. And he tried to leave her with us. She kept saying, "I need to go to the cars" because her family was picking her up where the cars were. And we're telling this fellow, "No. She's not with us, take her to the cars!" He panicked, not knowing where she belonged, so one of us went with him to help sort her out. The poor guy from the ship thought she was Dad's better half, I think. The moral of wheelchair assist being, be careful you don't end up with a strange family.
 
OMG Susie! That poor lady was probably so worried! As well as her family!

Today I walked a mile. I set out to do a little more than 1/2 mi, but my dog pooped (he never poops on walks) so I just decided to walk to the doggie bag trash can at the front of my neighborhood. The first 1/2 mile was a struggle, but it was like after that, my legs remembered what to do! My feet hurt a bit, my left calf was achy, but my knees were champs! I barely noticed them, other than my slightly altered gait. 21 mins, so I didn't break any land speed records. :heehee:

I'm back! For those who havent read my million page thread, I lost 100 lbs between fall 2016-fall2017 and a big part of that was taking up running. Or rather intervals - alternating 30 Secs of running with 30-45 secs of walking. I was training for a half marathon when my left knee blew and the rest was history. I loved signing up for races, making costumes, I did 3 disney races. So getting back to it, is so important to me. Not the least of which, I enjoy food way too much for a sedentary lifestyle. I've gained quite a few pounds back, so Im glad to be moving again. Slowly, but moving.

What a week so far!
 
Wow, a 100 pounds :wow: I'm someone who has struggled with weight issues my entire life, I've lost and gained :good-bad:A LOT of weight in my life, so CONGRATULATIONS on your outstanding achievement. It sounds like you have it figured out :yahoo:
 
Well, like I said, since my injury & surgeries, I've gained a lot back. Not all of it at least! But I know what to do to get it off again, it's just a matter of being committed. The funk of recovery involved too much comfort eating.
 
what a lovely trip you had, lots of activity and spending time with friends. you're having another great recovery from your 2nd knee replacement ~ impressive.:wowspring:
 
Congratulations on walking a mile! I was so proud of my first, and it's just the beginning. My knees are just a bit stiff at the start of a walk, too, but they loosen up pretty quickly and really like getting to move. I notice you live in Atlanta. My youngest son lives there, and if you do half-marathons and Disney races you might have seen him. Those Disney medals are fun! Hope you get back to form soon.

And your weight loss...amazing. It's soooo hard to lose those pounds. Your achievement iinspires me! Becoming active again will be such a boon.
 
Congrats on making the mile Jen! It'll be the first of many! :treadmill:

Loud applause on having lost 100 pounds!!! That is amazing!:egypdance:
 
Yay! A mile is a mile, no matter how long it took! Just be careful and keep at that distance for a while before adding to it. When I started walking this spring I did two 15 minute walks a day and added 5 min a week. Great news is that even at 3.5 years post op I feel a difference in my TKR and just wish I had done it sooner. So again, yay for you, Jenn!
 
Yeah for you Jenn! Yes, you're back!!! You have worked so hard to get to this place. Enjoy the continued improvements - I'll look forward to reading about them. 100# is amazing - and you know what to do to get to where you want to be. :roseshwr:
 
woohooo @Jennszoo 1 mile and 100 lbs!! In 2016, I dropped 85 lbs, knee started acting up and could hardly hobble around the beginning of 2017, gained some back, I have focused mainly on swimming since the knee pain came on. I am anxiously awaiting knee #2 in a little over a week and hoping to get back to walking like I was! You are an inspiration!
 
Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Don't you just love New England? And just the opportunity to get away for a few days to help get rid of the last of the throes of cabin fever! I'm glad you not only survived but thrived!

As for getting in and out of a kayak ...... nope don't think I could do that yet! Good on you!
 
Wow your trip sounds amazing and I'm so happy your knees behaved! You will get back on the weight loss track in no time. You obviously are an achiever of whatever you set out to do! I can tell that just how you have handled your recovery!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Not to be outdone by her mama, my baby broke her elbow today. I guess she wanted to get in on the joint Xray action. Poor thing. We went to Ninja Warrior gym and she was having so much fun but fell and apparently heard the crack. She was in so much pain. She's been splinted and they gave her some lortab and she's been loopy but comfortable ever since. Will have her own ortho appt on Tuesday for casting.
 
That's just awful. I know all the kids love those type places, but I'm always worried they will get hurt. I hope they are able to cast it without too much pain for her.
 
Jenn, your report is great!! So happy for you. A 21 min mile isn't shabby for new knees at all. A 15 min mile is really steady not slacking. I used to be able to do a 12 min mile and that was really, really booking for me. No way I could begin to do that now.... and not even sure about a 21 min mile at this point. So this Mt Washington, what state was it in? I know Mt Washington in NH. We rode the cog railroad up when we took our daughter and SIL to Maine to hike the AT. It was so beautiful up there. I'm glad you had such a good time!:wowspring:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom