TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

In an effort to help me stop worrying about my extension, my knee has kindly decided to hurt this week. I guess too much driving and I met a couple friends for lunch, was gone Most of the day weds-fri while my son was in school, to much activity. Trying to take it easy, but by the afternoon, knee was hot and swollen. Now I'm just having chronic pain around the kneecap and outer edge which I seem to recall from the first surgery as overdoing it pain.

This weekend - going to avoid all driving. Can't avoid it M-F but I'll rest when I can. No shopping, no sewing, no extra walking. Just rest and whatever short chores I can do here and there. Hoping to get back on track.

Have I mentioned im over this recovery? The only thing that keeps me somewhat sane is that my left knee feels mostly great. Soft, not swollen, bendy, only a bit of discomfort here and there and lingering weakness. But I mostly don't think about it, so it gives me hope that one day I will mostly not think about the right knee, too.
 
Remember that balancing act? When you went out to lunch did you prop your newest knee up? I found that helped to keep it from swelling thus avoiding the pain. Of course I had an immbolizer on and couldn't sit correctly, so I was forced to prop it up. I'd sit back into a booth with my right leg up on the booth beside me.
 
Am guessing you are not using any crutches or sticks or canes @Jennszoo ? I ask because I have found that I use one or both of my trekking sticks at a diagonal to prop up my operated leg if I have to wait around somewhere. It even works in a cinema. ( I think someone explained this way back- maybe a year ago on this thread: you lean the crutch or stick on your thigh diagonally and put up leg that needs to rest half way up the pole) Of course with two needy legs you might have to switch from the one to the other for equal rest times. At the thermal pool, I saw a lady use a big inflatable ball on her beach chair to raise her knee. I am going to copy that! I have a small ball which I inflate part way and use as a pillow.
 
I use a cane and try to lift it onto the bench at restaurants but it's never the right angle.
 
Have you tried angling your cane from bench to floor and balancing/resting your leg on it? I find that is just the right angle and elevation for sitting in public places. Your leg will turn out slightly which takes the strain off the knee.
 
@VW54 like the beach ball idea! Also have a smaller exercise ball at work and that just might work in my office, I've been using an extra office chair for lefty but when I get righty done next month, I will not have so much room on my right side!!!!
 
Jenn, I'm sorry you are having pain. I hope it has gotten better by now. After only 4 days, I know what you mean about being over it. As soon as I got home, it was like I hadn't ever stopped. My lefty is doing great, though, so that is something to be happy about. Glad yours is doing well, too.
 
Yes. I woke up with more bend than I have had all week! Still achy. Still need the 1000mg tylenol, but the swelling improved with a day of rest, no driving, minimal walking, no in/out of the car, no sewing.

I'm just so tired of the constant dance of doing, overdoing.
 
Can you find a way to balance the weekdays? Maybe driving kids to school and icing/elevating in between with a lunch date thrown in there?
 
Had my massage. She worked all around my baby knee, hitting all the tight spots. Then worked the quads, hammie's, glutes & calves in both legs. I feel much loser. We'll see how I do tonight. It's a heavy driving day w minimal rest, but I'm hoping she helped loosen up the muscles for longer term gains. Can't wait to get home to rest & ice.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Been a bit since I've posted. I think I finally turned that next corner. Sometime this past week, driving got easier. I was no longer in so much pain after 30-45 mins and only felt a wee bit of discomfort. And the past 2 days this weekend, I've been up and down, cleaning, sewing, forgetting to ice and rest, and only feeling a bit of aches and fussiness. finally!

I've been busy making shirts for viewing the eclipse tomorrow. We've been invited to a friend's cabin that's in the path of totality. It's an hour and 45 mins on a good day. I'm kinda scared traffic might be awful and my hubs is flying to Ca, so it's just me and the kids. In other words, no other driver. But we're all excited and unless traffic is a nightmare, we'll give it a try.

In other big news, we got a kitten. I've been begging my hubs since my first surgery for a "recovery kitten" and he kept saying no. My friend in AL fosters and had a litter of orange tabbies all named after the Weasley boys from Harry Potter. She picked out the friendliest one for me and I finally convinced my husband. He was delivered today! So far, George is delightful, our old cat is handling it well, but my little dog is not happy. That will take some time.

Anyway, life is still crazy but the knee is finally coming along for the ride some and not calling all the shots. Progress!
 
Thanks for the update from Jennszoo!! Been wondering how you were getting on. Great from the sound of it - KNEERAH!. Send pics of the eclipse T-shirts when you can. I hope the traffic is light so that you can get to the totality zone -- I expect the kids are super excited to have the opportunity. Cute pic of George! Hopefully the dog will chill over time.
 
You got my attention with the kitty!! Orange tabbies are the best!!! Our guy is 10 now and is my little angel.
:angel:
 
Jenn, so glad to hear you have turned a corner. Take it easy tomorrow as much as you can to make up for all that driving, and enjoy! Love the new kitty.
 
awww i love your new kitty; he is gorgeous. fantastic update, you are amazing.:kitty:
 
Enjoy your kitten. I've been wanting another animal too. Moose, our orange and white longhaired tabby, is a love bug who jumps up to sleep across my stomach while I'm resting. So far he's not jumped on the knee. At 14 pounds he's no lightweight but he has been careful. I have been thinking about another cat but I want a dog too. My sheltie died last year at the age of 18. He grew up with my kids and we always say he taught my youngest to walk. The baby would hang on the ruff around his neck and the dog would take a step and wait for the baby and then take another step. He was so good with the kids when they were small. That baby is is 16 now. I am beginning to feel better and would love to have a dog to walk but hesitate to take on the resposibiliity before the other knee is done. Im sure you are glad to have both knees over with and be on the mend. Our animals are a big help with mood and recovery. Are you going to keep the name George? Or let the kids pick a really creative name ? When my so was 4 we had a white cat he named GREEN JELLO.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom